Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blk05crew

blk05crew

I like 'em green
2 questions, sorry if they're dumb, I'm still trying to figure stuff out.

First is my 245A that has been on the back burner. I have cleaned the carb, put new fuel line in and new spark plug. I have not put a carb kit in it. It has spark and with the choke on it with turn over and try and run but won't. It's like it's starved of fuel. So does it most likely need a carb kit or could it be something else?

Second, the 5200 I just swapped p/c on is getting fuel and has spark when the I test the plug outside of the cylinder but when I put it back in in and try and start it it won't even try to fire. Could there be something wrong with the plug wire? Because with fuel and spark it should at least try and start right?

blk05crew

blk05crew

I like 'em green
it is a reed valve engine. If the reeds are stuck shut putting fuel in the carb ain't gunna do it. Put some in the cylinder thru the plug hole.

Thanks I'll give that a try tomorrow. I appreciate everyone's help here! I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined but a lot of this is new to me, but I'm definitely learning a lot and having fun doing it. I just get frustrated sometimes when things "should work" but won't. Anyway, I'm sure with all you smart fellas here I'll figure it out. Just haven't had as much time to work on them lately as I'd like.

blk05crew

blk05crew

I like 'em green
you have a 4200 and a 5200. That is as good as saws get. I ran a 4200 for 28 years. I am sure it would still be going strong if my barn had not burned down. It is an even match for my 372XP. replacement saw. Same weight and power. A 372XP is a bargain by comparison. 4200 listed for around $369 back then. 30 years ago

The plastic handle saws are not as cold in the winter.....progress I suppose

Yeah I can't wait to use them, I've picked up all my saws kind of right after we cut all our wood during spring and summer and fall. Before I've always used my father in laws and brother in laws saws.
Between them they have an 8500, a 5400 a 4400 a husky 2100 and a few smaller Stihls.

blk05crew

blk05crew

I like 'em green
Yeah but they are all in pretty good shape for their age and they take good care of them. They're definitely into saws which got me into them. Plus I was tired of always splitting and stacking while they cut haha!

ChipsFlyin

ChipsFlyin

ArboristSite Guru
you are working on a saw that is as old or older than you. It just may have some issues. There are no dumb questions except for the ones not asked. We have no idea what your background and mechanical and electrical aptitude is and we don't care. We on this thread will do what we can to help keep these great saws going. I know a little about how things work. Mark and Joe and Tim and Greg know a lot more. We just love to see and hear these things run and eat wood.
Amen brother!

redunshee

redunshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
That's what I thought too. Compression is great, and with fuel down the carb, nothing. That's why I was wondering if once the plug is in the hole maybe the plug wire isn't make good contact with the end of the plug.

try getting a spark tester that attaches to the plug while its in the cylinder and the other end to the hot lead. This will tell you if its getting spark .

OhioGregg

OhioGregg

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
2 questions, sorry if they're dumb, I'm still trying to figure stuff out.

First is my 245A that has been on the back burner. I have cleaned the carb, put new fuel line in and new spark plug. I have not put a carb kit in it. It has spark and with the choke on it with turn over and try and run but won't. It's like it's starved of fuel. So does it most likely need a carb kit or could it be something else?

Second, the 5200 I just swapped p/c on is getting fuel and has spark when the I test the plug outside of the cylinder but when I put it back in in and try and start it it won't even try to fire. Could there be something wrong with the plug wire? Because with fuel and spark it should at least try and start right?

If were me..I would do a carb rebuild with a kit on the 245 & filter. It is so hard to try and figure someones saws ailments over the internet...LOL One thing ya might want to ck on the 5200 is the ground strap. They need to make good clean contact. It is the only contact between body of the saw, with the electrical parts, and the engine. Because of the rubber vibration isolators. Wish I could be more help .

Gregg,

OhioGregg

OhioGregg

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
One more thing I might add to the 5200. Sometimes it can be a fine line between not enough fuel, to much fuel getting to the carb. Like a flooding situation. Can be done by yourself, but is easier with a friend to hold the throttle wide open as you pull the starter. Sometimes that will get her going. ;)

Gregg,

Ambull01

Ambull01

Addicted to ArboristSite
The Poulan 8500 is the best large Poulan ever made. Where are you going to buy a 85cc Pro saw that will last 30 years for less than $300?

I think it was you that mentioned it. If I get this 375 running right, the deal I got on my Makita will not seem like much of a bargain. Could have bought several 375s for the price of the 6421. Hopefully all I'll need is a carb kit and fuel line/filter.

blk05crew

blk05crew

I like 'em green
If were me..I would do a carb rebuild with a kit on the 245 & filter. It is so hard to try and figure someones saws ailments over the internet...LOL One thing ya might want to ck on the 5200 is the ground strap. They need to make good clean contact. It is the only contact between body of the saw, with the electrical parts, and the engine. Because of the rubber vibration isolators. Wish I could be more help .

Gregg,

Thanks Gregg, yeah kind of hard to diagnose things over the internet when you don't have the saw in front of you! I think your right on the 245, going to order a carb kit today for it.
I'll check the ground wire on the 5200 also and mess around with it more when I can.
I work for a hockey team and we're in season right now so I work about 60 hours a week and most Saturday's so my saw tinkering time isn't as much as I would like!

OhioGregg

OhioGregg

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Thanks Gregg, yeah kind of hard to diagnose things over the internet when you don't have the saw in front of you! I think your right on the 245, going to order a carb kit today for it.
I'll check the ground wire on the 5200 also and mess around with it more when I can.
I work for a hockey team and we're in season right now so I work about 60 hours a week and most Saturday's so my saw tinkering time isn't as much as I would like!

One more minor thing to check, might be the simple on/off switch. I know its not likely, but sometimes just the simplest over looked thing will drive ya nuts..:confused: I know back a number of years ago, while I was trying to resurrect a poor excuse of a 4000 from parts. The one I painted blue, by the way, in case you have seen that one..LOL

I thought I had covered everything....but couldn't get it to run. Took the carb apart several times to see if I had messed up somehow. No luck. Finally, the only thing that I did not change was the fuel filter. I had replaced the lines, but not the filter. It looked like new at the time. Don't remember if I had one at the time or not. I eventually put a new one on it. To my surprise and astonishment, it fired right up! :oops: So don't overlook anything, no matter how sure you are.. LOL

This saw was a real wreck when I first got it. I even had to use JB Weld, LOL to form and make part of the intake boss of the cylinder, and one of the screw holes. Once I got this thing going, it turned out to a super nice running saw, and has never given me a lick of trouble. And I run a 24" bar on that one.

Gregg,

blk05crew

blk05crew

I like 'em green
One more minor thing to check, might be the simple on/off switch. I know its not likely, but sometimes just the simplest over looked thing will drive ya nuts..:confused: I know back a number of years ago, while I was trying to resurrect a poor excuse of a 4000 from parts. The one I painted blue, by the way, in case you have seen that one..LOL

I thought I had covered everything....but couldn't get it to run. Took the carb apart several times to see if I had messed up somehow. No luck. Finally, the only thing that I did not change was the fuel filter. I had replaced the lines, but not the filter. It looked like new at the time. Don't remember if I had one at the time or not. I eventually put a new one on it. To my surprise and astonishment, it fired right up! :oops: So don't overlook anything, no matter how sure you are.. LOL

This saw was a real wreck when I first got it. I even had to use JB Weld, LOL to form and make part of the intake boss of the cylinder, and one of the screw holes. Once I got this thing going, it turned out to a super nice running saw, and has never given me a lick of trouble. And I run a 24" bar on that one.

Gregg,

Thanks for the tips and encouragement Gregg, I appreciate it very much! I kinda like the blue haha!

Modifiedmark
WOW, I took a pretty long break from AS (about a year). It looks like you Poulan Freaks are keeping the Poulan thread rolling along well. Hope everyone is doing well. The Poulan thread was always my favorite place to hang out on AS. Still loving my green saws. blackoak
Glad to see your still alive and well Chuck. I wondered where you been.

Latest posts