Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where duck bill go inside tank?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes! It gets attached to one end of a double ended plastic fitting. The line gets attached to the other side of that fitting. You then pull the line up through the hole in tank. That hole is slightly larger than the one with fuel filter that goes to the carb. The line acts like a grommet or seal if you will. Taking up the space and keeping it tight.

The easiest way to do it with a small diameter wire down through the tank hole, and poke it in the end of your vent line, that was cut at an angle. Then you can pull it up through till you can grab it with your fingers or pliers. That end just gets stuffed behind switch somewhere open to the air.

4000%20017_zpsiwm5mqag.jpg

Gregg,

Wright 122 Chainsaw (aka Poulan S25DA) - Piston Ring Orientation

Newbie question.
I ordered cylinder and piston and rings today.

The piston has 2 rings and does not have pins to align the rings.
Is there a correct or best orientation for the gaps?

I am guessing that the gaps in the two rings need to be oriented 180 degrees apart to minimize "leaks" (excuse my vocabulary) .
I am also guessing that it's best to orient the gaps away from the inlet and exhaust ports so they can't get trapped in the ports.

Does this sound right?

Wright 122 Chainsaw (aka Poulan S25DA) - Piston Ring Orientation

Newbie question.
I ordered cylinder and piston and rings today.

The piston has 2 rings and does not have pins to align the rings.
Is there a correct or best orientation for the gaps?

I am guessing that the gaps in the two rings need to be oriented 180 degrees apart to minimize "leaks" (excuse my vocabulary) .
I am also guessing that it's best to orient the gaps away from the inlet and exhaust ports so they can't get trapped in the ports.

Does this sound right?

You have it basically right. They don't need to be that far apart, though. Just far enough apart so they don't meet. Also keep them toward the intake side of the cylinder and not on the other exhaust side. Most ring pins are located on either side of the intake port, not on the edges of it but to the side.

You have it basically right. They don't need to be that far apart, though. Just far enough apart so they don't meet. Also keep them toward the intake side of the cylinder and not on the other exhaust side. Most ring pins are located on either side of the intake port, not on the edges of it but to the side.

Thanks Bob!
Any insight on why you keep the gaps over to the inlet side? Is this to minimize the chances of exhaust carbon sneaking down through the gaps over time perhaps?
Also.. if the rings are free-floating, what's to stop them gradually spinning round over time to end up in a different position?
But I guess all the forces and motions are strictly up and down so there's no real reason for them to turn other than random effects.
Just thinking out loud....

Thanks Bob!
Any insight on why you keep the gaps over to the inlet side? Is this to minimize the chances of exhaust carbon sneaking down through the gaps over time perhaps?
Also.. if the rings are free-floating, what's to stop them gradually spinning round over time to end up in a different position?
But I guess all the forces and motions are strictly up and down so there's no real reason for them to turn other than random effects.
Just thinking out loud....

If I heard you right.... In the picture.... I was guessing the gaps would go where the red arrows are.
Are you saying to shoot for the green arrows?

Attachments

• Ring Gaps.jpg
    Ring Gaps.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 22
3000 carb conversion?

Has anyone ever converted a HDA-3 (off of a J'Red 520) or like with a HDA-49? HDA-3 has a larger venturi but looks like the throttle and choke shafts from the 49 might swap? I could give it a whirl for kicks on a 3000. With a pump cover and shafts swap maybe it would mount right up?

I had both carbs sitting on the bench and it got me thinking...

No experience in this area yet.

Yes! It gets attached to one end of a double ended plastic fitting. The line gets attached to the other side of that fitting. You then pull the line up through the hole in tank. That hole is slightly larger than the one with fuel filter that goes to the carb. The line acts like a grommet or seal if you will. Taking up the space and keeping it tight.

The easiest way to do it with a small diameter wire down through the tank hole, and poke it in the end of your vent line, that was cut at an angle. Then you can pull it up through till you can grab it with your fingers or pliers. That end just gets stuffed behind switch somewhere open to the air.

4000%20017_zpsiwm5mqag.jpg

Gregg,

WOW, clean saw or New

A new question for those familiar with the old Wright 122A or Poulan S25DA saws: The pistons on these units did NOT have locator pins in the ring grooves and used the old "square end" rings! The question is this: How or where do you position the ring gaps on this saws piston, prior to assembly and what keeps the little buggers from rotating around to the ports!? All threads here seem to be of one mind: ALL 2 stroke pistons come with locator pins! This is clearly false, as these do not, and never did! Unfortunately, the service manual does NOT address ring installation, orientation, OR piston installation, to clarify an answer! Hep me....Hep me, and another new member here with the same question!

A new question for those familiar with the old Wright 122A or Poulan S25DA saws: The pistons on these units did NOT have locator pins in the ring grooves and used the old "square end" rings! The question is this: How or where do you position the ring gaps on this saws piston, prior to assembly and what keeps the little buggers from rotating around to the ports!? All threads here seem to be of one mind: ALL 2 stroke pistons come with locator pins! This is clearly false, as these do not, and never did! Unfortunately, the service manual does NOT address ring installation, orientation, OR piston installation, to clarify an answer! Hep me....Hep me, and another new member here with the same question!

Your post is a example of what you have to be leery of information from any internet forum full of experts.

As you state you are correct on the early S25's not having ring locating pins. The later versions did have them.

On the early models, they have a bridged exhaust port to keep the non pinned rings from hanging in a exhaust port so there is no need to worry about where the ring ends are located when you put one together, there going to end up going where they want to anyway. If it makes you feel better and probably wont hurt, just orientate the ring gaps opposite the exhaust port and between the transfer ports.

There were lots of older saws that had free floating rings not just these 25's.

Your post is a example of what you have to be leery of information from any internet forum full of experts.

As you state you are correct on the early S25's not having ring locating pins. The later versions did have them.

On the early models, they have a bridged exhaust port to keep the non pinned rings from hanging in a exhaust port so there is no need to worry about where the ring ends are located when you put one together, there going to end up going where they want to anyway. If it makes you feel better and probably wont hurt, just orientate the ring gaps opposite the exhaust port and between the transfer ports.

There were lots of older saws that had free floating rings not just these 25's.

WELL DONE! An informative and correct response to my question! I didn't think about the port bridge compensating for the freely rotating rings. Thanks, my mind can go back to idle, now. Now...is it still prudent to orient the two ring gaps 180 degrees out from each other?

Would it still be prudent to orient the two ring gaps 180 degrees out from each other?

Nevermind....I see your recommendation about where to place them...essentially straddling the intake port, as if they were pinned rings. Thanks, again!

Well I finally had a day off yesterday. No wood cutting but I did do some fishing with my father in law and his brother:) 2 kokanee and 10 rainbow trout, awesome day on the water. Cleaned, filleted and brined last night, drying a bit today and going in the smoker after work tonight.

20151213_205731.jpg

Well I finally had a day off yesterday. No wood cutting but I did do some fishing with my father in law and his brother:) 2 kokanee and 10 rainbow trout, awesome day on the water. Cleaned, filleted and brined last night, drying a bit today and going in the smoker after work tonight.

View attachment 470072
Was that a reservoir or wild river fishing?

View attachment 470072

That Trout pic just makes me hungry!

Crappie are on the bite here, some over 14" & all are great eating

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Latest posts

Back