Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pogo, you should never try and fire a used saw as soon as you get it, especially one off of ebay always inspect it for things like this and even a mild tear down to protect your investment. Yes i have a strong case just wanted to share with my fellow Poulan friends.

Yeah the way ebay is today you probably do have a strong case.

Here is my take on it, you bought a pig in the poke, you should have pinned the seller down a bit better to confirm that the top end was good. There is no doubt the saw would make some compression even in that condition so technically the the description wasn't totally inaccurate.

Then again on the other hand most buyers would expect to find at least a decent usable piston with a description like that as well.

What bothers me most is these jokers throwing this junk on there with the big price's with vague descriptions and there too damn lazy to inspect what there selling better. They pick up this scrap and want there money for nothing basically.

I don't know which saw you bought but I went and looked at his other auctions and found one at least now where he did take the time to pull mufflers and take pictures of the piston so maybe the seller is getting the hint now that his laziness and descriptions could come back and bite him in the ass. The rest of the auctions are still the same vague, maybe misleading descriptions.

So my opinion is you should quit messing with him and just open a claim with ebay for not as described and wake the lazy seller up. If he wants what he is asking for his junk its not too much for him to pull a muffler and take a photo.

Even that is not a guarantee that it didn't lose a pin keeper or something and still be junk, but that is always a risk you take but you don't mind it so bad when you know the seller at least made a attempt to check it out some.

Poulan tidbit - In a pinch or impatient like me anxious to see if you can get a saw running, a micro frame starter pulley ( 1800,2000,2300cva) will work in a S25CVA. They are a little smaller in diameter but match up the same for the catches.

@Acornhill

I think it is completely conceivable that it would fire with gas squirted in the carb, even with the piston like that. And if that's all the guy said he did, then he did no wrong. Now I'm not trying to say you didn't end up with much less than you expected or thought you were buying, but I also don't think he lied at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Acornhill, add me to the list of folks who say the seller didn't lie, per se, with much depending on how he worded the ad. How thoroughly he did or didn't test the saw could be a non-factor if he covered his @zz in the wording in the listing.

If in his listing he didn't specify inspecting the piston, and you didn't specifically ask about the condition of the piston, he might have a case that he didn't misrepresent the saw. Good compression could mean many things. In a perfect world it means the piston moves like it's supposed to, tight but smoothly and freely. It can also mean a damaged piston is dragging giving the impression of having good compression.

Some sellers are very clever in how they are intentionally ambiguous in the wording of their ads.

One of my eBay purchases, a box of yard & garden items--sprinklers, solar lights, etc--turned out to be damaged and/or missing parts items that had been returned to Sears. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they were a dumpster rescue. The seller listed them As Is, didn't say they were new, also didn't say they were damaged and/or missing parts. I had no case because I didn't ask before bidding. The sellers response was along the lines of "Were you seriously expecting all of the items to be in good condition?". I was able, sort of, to explain the situation in my neutral feedback.

EDIT--I tracked down the original listing. Given the wording (which is a bit more detailed than what was posted here) and the limited number of photos, I'd say the seller was intentionally vague. Also his responses are self-defensive (but that could just be his nature, not a cover-up attempt. If no questions were asked for specific details, he covered himself. And apparantly you have told him that you disassembled the saw, which could work against you.

I agree. I never said he lied, what he did was not confirm his findings by removing one screw. He also never tried to correct the situation. If he is actually an arborist hobbyist with 750 saws etc he could have very easily recommended a solution. I appreciate and respect everyone's feedback. I believe I have helped his next customer get a better description of what they are purchasing. Thank you all.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

It really don't, but the phrase "has compression" should have a standard meaning.

A scored up POS will still put out compression, just not very much.

When someone bothers to use the phrase I think that would/should stand for having factory or close to factory compression. At the very least not scored up and runable.

I agree. I never said he lied, what he did was not confirm his findings by removing one screw. He also never tried to correct the situation. If he is actually an arborist hobbyist with 750 saws etc he could have very easily recommended a solution. I appreciate and respect everyone's feedback. I believe I have helped his next customer get a better description of what they are purchasing. Thank you all.

Hope you get some satisfaction out of the situation/experience one way or another and aren't out too much except for the frustration and aggravation aspect. Good luck with it....., however it turns out

I think I see bit of scoring. :eek: Not as lucky on the Craftsman 3.3 as the blue 2.3. There was already a game plan for this saw when I picked it up. I have a parts 3.3 and was going to pull the best from both and make one. Fortunately, the parts saw has a really nice p/c.

What are your feelings about a base gasket delete on these?DSCN0671.JPG

I think I see bit of scoring. :eek: Not as lucky on the Craftsman 3.3 as the blue 2.3. There was already a game plan for this saw when I picked it up. I have a parts 3.3 and was going to pull the best from both and make one. Fortunately, the parts saw has a really nice p/c.

What are your feelings about a base gasket delete on these?View attachment 478548
I do it all the time,though I do check squish. Never had an issue.

I do it all the time,though I do check squish. Never had an issue.

I just realized you have a few sleds. Been a mild winter so far. Put any any miles on this year?

I have a 97 classic touring that hasn't moved for almost 4 or 5 years. Bought it brand new and only have around 1100 miles on it- so sad. I think I'll go through give it the works this summer - new hoses, change break fluid, clean carbs.... and hit the snow next year. The past few years around here have been really bad for any kind of consistent base.

Back