Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got some new chains in for the 3300's and 3450 - 3 pack of Laser chisel .325 .050 78DL made by Carlton for $34.40 shipped. ( go stuck paying the sales tax of $1.95 due to a same state purchase) They look like a half decent chain. I've been doing a bunch of low stumping at camp and it's just destroying chains. I figured for the price I'd try them out. Will probably do a quick touch up with a file before use. DSCN0751.JPG DSCN0752.JPG

Micro super xxv again today. Reed was not seating. Flipped/bent things a bit. Much better seal. Kept tweeking it and checking with a flashlight through the intake side until very little light passed around the edges when viewed through the crankcase side. Runs well now, albeit without the oiler.

As suspected, the check in the oiler body of the pump was stuck open. Cleaned and checks opposite bar pad direction now. Had to also pull the banjo fitting in the crankcase. Ground off the flange and screen. Worked a new duckbill into the gap between the brass insert and the body of the bolt. Passes and checks now. JB weld and wait.

Found a half decent loop of Poulan chain to go with the bar as well. Keepin' it real.

Poulan Micro XXV 1.jpg Poulan Micro XXV 2.jpg

Just got some new chains in for the 3300's and 3450 - 3 pack of Laser chisel .325 .050 78DL made by Carlton for $34.40 shipped. ( go stuck paying the sales tax of $1.95 due to a same state purchase) They look like a half decent chain. I've been doing a bunch of low stumping at camp and it's just destroying chains. I figured for the price I'd try them out. Will probably do a quick touch up with a file before use. View attachment 492598 View attachment 492599

Do you know for sure that's made by Carlton? I have my suspicions that its not.

Those Remington models seemed to appear shortly after Jenn Feng of Taiwan gave up the McCulloch name for North America and seem to be based on the same Taiwan made saws. When searching for parts they come up under MTD and good luck getting any parts for them.

As far as I'm concerned they are pure junk and I wouldn't take them if they were given to me.

I also found the MTD connection, forgot to mention it. I think there are threads here at AS discussing the McCulloch, Remington, & MTD connection.

Do you know for sure that's made by Carlton? I have my suspicions that its not.

The made by Carlton is semantics. Blount International owns Oregon since the mid 80's, Windsor since 2000 and Carlton since 2008. Since the take over of Carlton the Windsor name is no longer in use. The Laser chains that I have have 50J stamped on the drive links which is the Windsor stamp for the .325 .050 chain.

The made by Carlton is semantics. Blount International owns Oregon since the mid 80's, Windsor since 2000 and Carlton since 2008. Since the take over of Carlton the Windsor name is no longer in use. The Laser chains that I have have 50J stamped on the drive links which is the Windsor stamp for the .325 .050 chain.

Yeah, I know all that. The reason I said that is I do not see any markings on that chain at all, looked again and still don't see the 50J anywhere on it.

The metal on those drivers do not look smooth and actually look a bit porous but it could be the 40" monitor I'm looking at it on. It still looks like a china copy chain to me as I have some of the Carlton chain just like it here and it looks much better then that. I understand that Blount is now days having some chain made in China, probably for third party customers. Like Laser?

It's my opinion but after buying that chain that I have and tried using it, I swore I would never buy anymore of it. I hope it works out for you though.

Yeah, I know all that. The reason I said that is I do not see any markings on that chain at all, looked again and still don't see the 50J anywhere on it.

The metal on those drivers do not look smooth and actually look a bit porous but it could be the 40" monitor I'm looking at it on. It still looks like a china copy chain to me as I have some of the Carlton chain just like it here and it looks much better then that. I understand that Blount is now days having some chain made in China, probably for third party customers. Like Laser?

It's my opinion but after buying that chain that I have and tried using it, I swore I would never buy anymore of it. I hope it works out for you though.

The darn stamps are on the other side, alternates 50J and 1 on the drivers. I know they are not as good as a RS or LGX. I'm just using them as beater chains. Everything is so shady anymore with knockoffs, cheap reproductions and production short cuts. We are all being ripped off with everything. It spans the entire retail market down to "cases" of soda, not a case anymore it's a 20 pack...

The darn stamps are on the other side, alternates 50J and 1 on the drivers. I know they are not as good as a RS or LGX. I'm just using them as beater chains. Everything is so shady anymore with knockoffs, cheap reproductions and production short cuts. We are all being ripped off with everything. It spans the entire retail market down to "cases" of soda, not a case anymore it's a 20 pack...

Your quote was these chains are "made by Carlton", that is the only thing I was having a issue with.

I still believe that to be untrue in the true sense of your statement. Like you said, Blount owns them all now so who knows, but having Windsor stamped drive links should be a clue that those are assembled chains for a third party vendor and like I said, I suspect China. Carlton chains had K1 stamped on that style of chains.

I just wanted to know if you really could get Carlton chains for that cheap of a price. I don't care what you do with them, its your money and at the end of the day, only you can decide if it was a good deal for you.

Your quote was these chains are "made by Carlton", that is the only thing I was having a issue with.

I still believe that to be untrue in the true sense of your statement. Like you said, Blount owns them all now so who knows, but having Windsor stamped drive links should be a clue that those are assembled chains for a third party vendor and like I said, I suspect China. Carlton chains had K1 stamped on that style of chains.

I just wanted to know if you really could get Carlton chains for that cheap of a price. I don't care what you do with them, its your money and at the end of the day, only you can decide if it was a good deal for you.
They are probably all made in the same factory - just running different lines.......

Any idea what the craftsman # was on the 46ccer.

Interesting on the 49cc piston. Craftsman 3.0 # 358356070 piston part # 18863 right? Chrome, that piston should last forever.
Found the model # for the Craftsman 2.8 #358.356281, 3.3 # 358.356332
They both use the same manual.

I have 2 of the 3.0 runners and bare bore like stated.

Latest posts

Back