Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im fairly high in elevation hence the 3/4 turn. Im about 3000 above sea level. But ill set them back to 1 and try a cold start. Maybe I lost compression? It does feel a little light on the pull cord. I dont have a tester on me.
FWIW, mine won't run well at 1 on the H where I cut. I cut at 4500' or so. Although the manual suggests never to lean them below 7/8 H, mine are all a bit fat at that setting and elevation. I have to set them richer when I end up down cutting in the valley 1200' or so. They scream if you forget.

I've run into a couple of carbs that came off of saws that would not seat properly. Erratic idle, flooding after sitting with a pressurized tank. Sometimes vapor lock. Upon really close inspection (10x lens), I discovered pitting in the body/seat of the metering needle chamber. No amount of carb kits, new needles, spring adjustment and so forth could help. Corrosion.

Can you test for pop off and seating pressures? The carb needs to reseat and hold properly.

Yes, thats what it is. Kinda a oddball the way its setup. Like I always say when people ask which saw the relable matches, sometimes it won't exactly. They mix and matched on these. I remember at one time a certain somebody said all the black ones were bare cylinders like the 3300 but they found out different. I wish I would have saved the model number as I seen one that was thin ringed like the 335 but this one is single ringed like a PP330. It does have double starter dogs also.

I'm not going to go looking for the big 137 or 164 carb for this, I found out before that on the 54cc saws they only add no load extra rpm and the small carb will cut just as fast.

Poulan 335 predator. 54cc and it has the single ring and piston like a 330.

Poulan predator.JPG

Tim here is where we were putting info in thread on the 3.3 bore and piston combos back in 2013 http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/poulan/54cc-3300-335-3-3-etc/msg28462/#msg28462

Another thread with some 3.3 info too. http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/poulan/craftsman-3-3-sears-best-topend/

Sounds like a lot of mix and match with pistons on those models.

The only one I have in that series is a 336 and I can't remember if it has one ring or two. The IPL calls for a two ring piston.

I cut quite a bit for firewood with it this year and it runs really well.

The guy I bought it from had a small engine repair business and said it just needed a new fuel line. I guess it did too but the missing impulse line was interesting.
I got the feeling he wanted me to come back so he could make a few more bucks on it.

Sounds like a lot of mix and match with pistons on those models.

The only one I have in that series is a 336 and I can't remember if it has one ring or two. The IPL calls for a two ring piston.

I cut quite a bit for firewood with it this year and it runs really well.

The guy I bought it from had a small engine repair business and said it just needed a new fuel line. I guess it did too but the missing impulse line was interesting.
I got the feeling he wanted me to come back so he could make a few more bucks on it.

What did your 336 have for bore and piston? Maybe add it to the list when you get time.

Funny on the impulse.
Dirty trick if he did do that.

Checked and done over yonder.

Interest sake,

The covers are the same as my 3600. The case is the same as the 365 - 380 so the muffler and covers are the same.

I noticed some crap on the back cylinder wall so I pulled the cylinder to check. No scoring, couldn't feel it. Maybe carbon from sawdust ingestion. Buffed it out anyway.
Here's a pic of the piston and rings. They are 0.56mm thick.

336 covers (1).JPG 336 rings 0.56 mm thick.JPG

I have run it against some of my regular Poulan 335's and could not really tell a difference in power. I would say both cut about the same.

View attachment 585318

Some time ago was talking to a friend (Beavers) who was a long time Poulan dealer and he said Poulan did some testing and going from two rings to one increased the RPM by 500. Not sure if that was no load (Who cares) or under load (impressive.)

Latest posts

Back