Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This arrived Wednesday 6/26.Seller is about 3 hours from me,for what I was charged Shipping I couldn't put gas in the truck & make the 6 hour round trip,not to mention that I'm pretty busy right now.Great compression,dont know about spark yet.Has very good 17" hardnose .404 bar/chain also,old McCulloch mount I believe,perfect fit of course .

Looks good next to my strong running Model 71.

DSC03957.JPG DSC03958.JPG DSC03959.JPG DSC03960.JPG DSC03961.JPG DSC03974.JPG

Yep, you’d need to pull the muff off to tell.

It needs cleaned out & a couple of shark gill louvers cut into it anyway, lol

Thanks for the input.

Facebook ad near me asking $60 non-running. Was just wondering if it was anything special considering the rather unconventional color combo/look.
Think I'll leave it for someone else to sort out..., and muff mod, of course. LOL

Well Hotshot, didn't bother to pull it apart, got one from NAPA with a life time warranty for $78 out the door my cost. I figured the brushes were worn out and possible the communicator on the armature. Mitsubishi starter has about 365,??? miles on it. Being gear reduction I imagine the gears had a lot of wear also. The starter bendix looked pretty good, no wear on the gear and locked up as it should.

Steve

Well it was this and then when I got back from lake this. Couldnt remember how long it had been since I fired up Gen. SOB! Better to find out now then when needed.

Running them dry and storing doesn't work either. E-free 90 and stabil for the Gen now too. Just like the saws, trimmers etc and boat.

View attachment 744129 View attachment 744130 View attachment 744131
That looks almost like a Briggs carb. That old e10 gas will get them for sure. I've got to pull mine on my Husqvarna Fast Tractor, doesn't sit much but starting to lope at idle. Never had a carb off a Kohler so hope it goes well.

Steve

Wrong design for a 5200, this is in the 3400, 3700, 3800,4000 line. This is a 3400, looks the same.
8ae787ecb7400501576168d88959527b.jpg

Steve

Well it was this and then when I got back from lake this. Couldnt remember how long it had been since I fired up Gen. SOB! Better to find out now then when needed.

Running them dry and storing doesn't work either. E-free 90 and stabil for the Gen now too. Just like the saws, trimmers etc and boat.

View attachment 744129 View attachment 744130 View attachment 744131
I picked this one up off the side of the road saw the guy sitting it out for garbage told me nothing was wrong with it and sure enough when I got home it started right up but somebody told me when storing them you would have to start them up and run them once in awhile or something will happen with the magnets is there any truth in that
fa1ea100432f79be611d7a294408b6ba.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I picked this one up off the side of the road saw the guy sitting it out for garbage told me nothing was wrong with it and sure enough when I got home it started right up but somebody told me when storing them you would have to start them up and run them once in awhile or something will happen with the magnets is there any truth in that
fa1ea100432f79be611d7a294408b6ba.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Surely that guy was slightly short of sandwiches to go n biff that out I'm gob smacked at that just unreal. Good score

That looks almost like a Briggs carb. That old e10 gas will get them for sure. I've got to pull mine on my Husqvarna Fast Tractor, doesn't sit much but starting to lope at idle. Never had a carb off a Kohler so hope it goes well.

Steve

Never have paid attention to all of that to date. Guess I need to look. Thinking it was a troybilt 5500.
All I know is it was a 10hp and had to buy it back in 99-00 (WAG) time frame after a ice storm hit. Wasnt one to be found local, so had dad pick one up for me 3.5hrs south of me.

Comes in handy for the 220 stick welder when needed. Makes the set up kind of portable.

He has the same one and for a few years longer and he said he never had a issue yet. I sent him pics just in case he ever has to dig inside.

Roger talks about honda gen and one he had to repolarize in this thread. http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/other-repairs/honda-em-5000s-generator/

Tore down my craftsman 3.7 last night. Re-ringed it and cleaned it up a little. I think the small scuff on the Piston may have been old. The cylinder looked good but I cleaned up everything and did a base gasket delete. Still need to open up the oil pump to check it out and probably do the crank seals while I'm working on it. Realized while checking everything out that my coil was loose and bunged up some. I cleaned it up but probably going to need a new one. Also did a muffler mod on it.

Should've taken pics last night but I was tired.

Finally have the watering done for this week, I start at 6am Saturday morning with my 2 neighbors on each side as we have a 7.5 hp pump. I get 10 sprinkler heads to water my 2.5 acres so it takes me till 8 PM Sunday to get it all watered. Do this every weekend till fall and been doing it for 40 years or so. If you want me on the weekend I'm home

Latest posts

Back