Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent effort men. Nice looking machine work, planning, and fit/finish. Even the air filter ass. simple but very effective and cleanable. Can't believe you fit that air box in that small area in the original filter spacing. Again good job guys!!!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

It's all Todd I was a post to lean on while he thought about stuff.

Ok I have a dumb question. For winter projects I have been picking up all the cheap saws I can poulan or craftsman. I have been reading and looking at parts and it seems all the non strato saws use the same motor regardless of what the sticker says. I have been thinking trying to port one of these saws but have no clue where to start. Is there a good place to start reading on the subject

As in what parts are what, because I started with the 3400 and got the other stuff one part at a time from this box or that shelf. The major parts are husky 395 cylinder and piston, poulan crankshaft and carb, have a clone 395 carb but it doesn't work well . Made the spacer and carb adapter plus the cylinder mount

A few pictures the white air box was to long so I made the black one from nylon. The spacer started out as a plywood prototype and ended with the aluminum one, lots of hours in it. I didn't have a band saw blade to cut it out so I used a 5/8 end mill. I'm thinking like 40 hours of cut and try and make sure I didn't cut to much away before I got a idea what it was going to look like. I really enjoyed this mind bender of a puzzle saw.20191119_105722.jpg 20191119_163636.jpg 20191116_083654.jpg 20191118_092539.jpg

I used a crankshaft with a stroke of 39.7 and it fit in and the flywheel bolted on in the correct place, all I had to do was bore out the bearing holes from. 875 to .9055 ,23mm, and install new needle bearings. Used the same thrust washer and got new seals. Didn't have to make the crankshaft, lots of work doing that and the rod hooked up to the piston. Easy easy. Bore 56mm. You can get a 58mm cylinder for 105cc

I used a crankshaft with a stroke of 39.7 and it fit in and the flywheel bolted on in the correct place, all I had to do was bore out the bearing holes from. 875 to .9055 ,23mm, and install new needle bearings. Used the same thrust washer and got new seals. Didn't have to make the crankshaft, lots of work doing that and the rod hooked up to the piston. Easy easy. Bore 56mm. You can get a 58mm cylinder for 105cc

I was guessing 40mm in my head. :cheers:

Back