Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got 3/8LP on my 46cc one too. That I use for root cutting. 16" 3/8LP and 6T makes it feel better then the 20" 325 set up to me.

View attachment 963441
Cool, I just finished up putting a new intake/boot combo on my 2900, thankfully it was still available new, very good cutting smaller saws, mine has the .325“ chisel chain & 18” bar.

Got 3/8LP on my 46cc one too. That I use for root cutting. 16" 3/8LP and 6T makes it feel better then the 20" 325 set up to me.

View attachment 963441

Thanks for the reply Kevin. You may have fully answered my follow-up question too.

Because the 3/8 LP clutch drum is 6 tooth rather than the stock 7 tooth, there should be greater torque and less chain speed with the modified setup. Since you've already said you think it cuts better than original, I'll assume its from a combination of all the changed factors: chain type, bar length, chain speed/torque.

I've finally finished enough other projects to move onto getting my 2 little top handles running.

First Pollen I tried is a S25DA, 120 PSI and great spark. Replaced the fuel line and plugged a carb kit in, but can't get it to pull fuel. Tried squirting a bit down the carb but that just sort of pooled on top of the reed. Bone dry spark plug. This was a few weeks ago, tonight I stripped it down further and cleaned the flipped the reed, reassembled but still won't pull fuel. I'll try dropping some directly against the reed in the morning, if that doesn't work I'll squirt some through the spark plug hole (it won't fix the issue but I want to get this ****er to pop at least once!). Reed didn't make a perfect seal so I'm thinking maybe a replacement, or I'll tear down further for a leak down (rusted muffler bolts will need to be cut off and I'll have to get replacements, I would have already pressure tested if those bolts were in better shape). Am I missing something, or anyone have suggestions what would cause this?

My second little pooland is badged as Mastercraft 54-5662-6, highlighted in this (not mine) video.

Acres states it's based off the Micro 25 2.0 chassis, dunno if that means the P&C would be a match. Anyone able to confirm what model it best matches?
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...77fc31448b88e313882586c400143875?OpenDocument
This girl has aerodynamic vertical grooves gouged into the piston and a whopping 90 PSI, so she easily starts after 30 pulls and slices through butter like it's butter (as long as it's already melted). Wondering if a Red Barn will fit? If not this one, then maybe the S25DA. Even if they don't list S25DA (just s25 and 25da, and XXV instead of Micro XXV if that makes any difference) the part number matches up.

http://www.lilredbarn.net/product-p/530069298.htm

Thanks Tim! I'm North of Belleville but South of Bancroft to give a general ball park. I might take you up on that after I discern what actually needs replacing, but these 2 are 100% toys that I enjoy fixing, I've got more than enough saws for actual WORK. They only cost $10 a piece and don't hold any sentimental value (apart from the road trip with the ex to pick them up).

I actually got the first one (S25DA) running this morning :rock:. I just used my thumb instead of the choke plate to prime it and it pulled fuel through the line. Then popped. Then popped again and again and again. Dialed it in a bit, can idle and can hit cutting speeds at WoT but there's a bit of a lurch in the transition. Need to trim some excess fuel line and dissect and pressure test the carb again (I vaguely remember doing that half a year ago when I got the saw, but I put it to the side to work on other projects).

I suppose the best bet for the yellow midget is to pull the jug and get some piston measurements.

Beautiful example, Todd, good for you! Is the bar 24 inches? Air filter in good shape? It sure looks clean. Max.
Thanks, yes it is the original 24 bar and I did a true up to it, air filter is good. I found a new filter 3 years ago just in case I found a saw. It is a one owner, well father to son to me. Maybe I will find a clutch cover decal for it.

Well it has taken me more than a few years to get one but I have one now. This saw brings me to a even dozen big poulan saws that run. It has been a very interesting experience finding and fixing the sawsView attachment 964034View attachment 964035
That’s a nice looking one there Todd . I picked one a couple of weeks ago that’s not in the best shape . But I think I’ve got what it will need to get it going one day .

It's been a while since I posted on the Poulan sticky.I've got a 306A that I've had for a couple yrs.& decided to get at it the other day.I had the saw running & sprayed some brake cleanerer around the clutch side & there was difference.I sprayed it on the FW side & the saw faltered,but didn't die out.I pulled the Fw & recoil (interesting set up that Poulan used on this model,I never saw pawls on the underside of a FW & the recoil under the FW too) & saw that I could easily pull the seal (so I thought).I drilled a small hole in the seal & put a drywall screw in it & put a vice grips on it & pulled the top half of the seal out.The bottom half is stil;l stuck in the well & I have no idea as to how to get it out.I'm afraid if I use a small chisel to cut the rest of the seal to remove it that I'll mess up the bearing.The 1st pic is of the dirty mess I had to clean up before I could get started on the seal.The 2nd pic is of tyhe half of the seal that pulled out.The 3rd pic is a shot of the other half of the seal still stuck in the well.If you need to enlarge the pics first before making a determination,please do so.I don't need to be told that I'm looking at the bearing in the well.I know I should be looking at balls from the bearing.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 13
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 13
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 14
What?! Poulan made a 8500???
Is that a serious question, they made a 8500 and It was the last of that style of saws 85cc, the next was a 7700 at 77cc and the smaller of the 3 was a 69cc version 6900. The 7700 is probably the very hardest to find, someone prove me wrong and sell me one..
Yes they made a 8500 and they also made a 8510 and it was a demo saw.

Is that a serious question, they made a 8500 and It was the last of that style of saws 85cc, the next was a 7700 at 77cc and the smaller of the 3 was a 69cc version 6900. The 7700 is probably the very hardest to find, someone prove me wrong and sell me one..
Yes they made a 8500 and they also made a 8510 and it was a demo saw.
Yeah it’s a serious question. I’ve seen some of the other countervibe models but nothing that big. I’m not that familiar with the vintage poulans but I’m learning.

Yeah it’s a serious question. I’ve seen some of the other countervibe models but nothing that big. I’m not that familiar with the vintage poulans but I’m learning.
I’m with ya on learning about the good poulans. Not many around these parts , just the cheap ones. I was pleasantly shocked when I stumbled across a 361 and got it going. A real nice firewood saw!! I have a cv4000 coming up soon and it’s looks like a beast. Anxious to get it on the bench.

Same as the 5200
Yes about the 5200, this is the order of first to last and small to big. The cylinders and pistons will all interchange between them. Might have to a little filling on the fins to make things to fit. The 8500 has a bigger fin area than the 5200.
4200 68cc 5200 85cc
Starter has 4 10- 24 screws holding it on and the rear handle doesn't have a step for your foot to start. The cylinder cover has either a center screw or 3 screws to hold it on.
4400 68cc 4900 77cc 5400 85cc
The Starter is held on by 4 1/4- 20 socket head screws. The fuel tank bas been extended by a inch and a step is added. Cover for the cylinder is held on by 3 screws.
6900 68cc 7700 77cc. 8500 85cc
The big change is the cylinder cover and air filter, the back part comes off without having to take the cover off. Air filter is a nice screen type. On the inside the crankshaft has been beefed up on the output side and left at 1/2" from the other ones that are 7/16".
Can't think of anything else other than the 68cc pistons are thick ring and the other ones are thin ring.
My feelings are that if you find one you should send it to me because you don't want it. Enjoy your saws.

I’m with ya on learning about the good poulans. Not many around these parts , just the cheap ones. I was pleasantly shocked when I stumbled across a 361 and got it going. A real nice firewood saw!! I have a cv4000 coming up soon and it’s looks like a beast. Anxious to get it on the bench.
I may be picking up a 3750 here at some point. Guy came into my shop and bought a 271 to replace his Bad Boy, starter broke apparently. I told him I'd buy it and he seemed to respond well to the offer. We'll see what happens I suppose. Certainly wouldn't mind a 5200 though, I'm on the look out for a few vintage Poulans.

Back