Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'm sorry guys, Merry Christmas to all of you.

Joe, like I said it don't surprise me that it was a Craftsman saw that way.

If that has the rim and drum setup you may want to change it out if your going to run it much. Far as I know that rim in 3/8's lp is real challange to find nowdays.

I'm sure it is. Can I use the bar with 3/8" lp? Its a roller nose so there's no teeth. Is the gauge the same?

Hey all, Merry Christams, I just picked up a Poulan 2900 on ebay for $40, just wondering if there a good saw, I know there clam shell saws but thats about it.

Lol

Hey all, Merry Christams, I just picked up a Poulan 2900 on ebay for $40, just wondering if there a good saw, I know there clam shell saws but thats about it.

i was watchin that saw hahah i forgot all about it ugg!!!! ya got it for 42... and 14 shipping right? clean saw man nice job bud!!!!

Last edited:
Man the snow is comin down here in Jersey, we got about a foot already and it's not supposed to stop till tomarrow afternoon, were expected 24" and up with 4 foot drifts possible. Gonna be fun digging out. Thank god I got my little 2 stroke Toro snowthrower.

OK Poulan Fans ... I need some advice.

What models of Poulans / Craftsman have between 50cc and 68cc that have an internal clutch and also a chain brake?

I have a very nice 3.3 Craftsman 54cc ... but it has an external clutch and no stock chain brake.

I think that is how you describe it ... the clutch is external to the sprocket.

So ... even though this saw is an excellent saw ... I want to know what to keep my eye out for.

I prefer a rim system ... so would convert whatever sprocket over.

I forgot to ad ... "that aren't the newer crap Poulans."

Last edited:
I have a Craftsman 3.4 (56cc) (Poulan 3400) saw which was purchased new in 1987 by the previous owner to myself.

It has a chainbrake. 4 or 5 pages back I have pics of it up, as I just purchased it 6 days ago :)

Im just gonna keep the old poulans tmrw im gonna put fuel line on the 3400 and cut a little bit with both of them to appreciate them more. If anyone has a lead on a outer guide plate let me know please. I cant believe none of you have extras laying around haha.

Thats a nice little saw i have its green cousin and its bigger cousin a 3700. I have yet to cut with the 3400 so couldnt tell ya how they cut, but if its anything like my 3700 you will love it.
p_00142.jpg

Really? I figured a 18" with full comp would be pushing it....

not at all (as long as you don't)

Im just gonna keep the old poulans tmrw im gonna put fuel line on the 3400 and cut a little bit with both of them to appreciate them more. If anyone has a lead on a outer guide plate let me know please. I cant believe none of you have extras laying around haha.

same here i need the inter and outer guide plates for my 3800. i been looking all over the sponsers sites, ebay and the local shops with no luck yet.

You know what? Thats the thing about any vintage saw, not just Poulans, parts are no longer made for them. They don't grow on trees.

Like Mike said, I have some here, I also own about 60 vintage Poulans and have my sights set on picking up some more.

No offense, get out and find you some, there out there like Mike points out.

There useally not free though. I just bought 2 brand new sets last week for a couple 5200's I'm restoring. They were $8 a piece.

Now tell me again why someone here should just send you some guide plates.

Please explain it to me.

You said in your other thread you were getting rid of your Poulans to get a modern saw. Sounds like that might be the best idea for your situation.

I even seen a guy offer you a 026 for them. Lots of people swear by them, so why don't you do that. Lighter, less vibes and you can go down to any Stihl dealer and buy parts for them there.

Dave, I don't have a 2900 but I do have a 2500 and there a very good saw. Cranks are made in Sweden and they have a chrome bore.

I ported my 2500 and put a little bigger carb on it along with a muffler mod and it really rips!

I'm not really into that but I did it for the Wildthing races since I didn't have a real Wildthing. It showed well, except against the one of Arrowheads. :hmm3grin2orange:

Some of you my not have seen this vid of my 5200 since I finally got a 5200 filter and can run it with the cover on. The wood is hard frozen Oak. I've removed all the original decals. I may be painting it. If not, it will at least get all new decals.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/l06sC7I9aX4?rel=0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Last edited:
Dave, I don't have a 2900 but I do have a 2500 and there a very good saw. Cranks are made in Sweden and they have a chrome bore.

I ported my 2500 and put a little bigger carb on it along with a muffler mod and it really rips!

I'm not really into that but I did it for the Wildthing races since I didn't have a real Wildthing. It showed well, except against the one of Arrowheads. :hmm3grin2orange:

I'll be darned. I have a 2700, 2800 and 3000 and they are all split case saws. I guess I'm surprised the 2900 is a clamshell saw. Must be a newer series saw.
Bob

Some of you my not have seen this vid of my 5200 since I finally got a 5200 filter and can run it with the cover on. The wood is hard frozen Oak. I've removed all the original decals. I may be painting it. If not, it will at least get all new decals.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/l06sC7I9aX4?rel=0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Brad saw seems to have a lot of grunt. Is the carb the governed Hs-176a? If not what did you use as I need to find one.
Bob

Latest posts

Back