Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know what? Thats the thing about any vintage saw, not just Poulans, parts are no longer made for them. They don't grow on trees.

Like Mike said, I have some here, I also own about 60 vintage Poulans and have my sights set on picking up some more.

No offense, get out and find you some, there out there like Mike points out.

There useally not free though. I just bought 2 brand new sets last week for a couple 5200's I'm restoring. They were $8 a piece.

Now tell me again why someone here should just send you some guide plates.

Please explain it to me.

You said in your other thread you were getting rid of your Poulans to get a modern saw. Sounds like that might be the best idea for your situation.

I even seen a guy offer you a 026 for them. Lots of people swear by them, so why don't you do that. Lighter, less vibes and you can go down to any Stihl dealer and buy parts for them there.

Mark I think its as much to do with the exuberance of youth as anything else. Young men from any generation can't wait and want instant gratification. I believe he's twentysomething and thus can't help it. He was also complaining about its weight compared to newer saws which I believe was a subconcious desire to unload them. When you get older, priorities change.
Bob

I'll be darned. I have a 2700, 2800 and 3000 and they are all split case saws. I guess I'm surprised the 2900 is a clamshell saw. Must be a newer series saw.
Bob

Bob, just think of the 2900 as a green Poulan Pro 295, because thats mostly what it is.

Mark I think its as much to do with the exuberance of youth as anything else. Young men from any generation can't wait and want instant gratification. I believe he's twentysomething and thus can't help it. He was also complaining about its weight compared to newer saws which I believe was a subconcious desire to unload them. When you get older, priorities change.
Bob

Ahh, thats making some sense out of it. Young people also seem to what something for nothing now days as well. Entitlements if you will.

micro xxv oiler

my micro xxv oiler won't oil. i replaced the rotted line between the one way valve behind the flat plate and where it comes out to oil the chain. i also blew out the valve and increased the hole slightly as it seemed slow when i put some pressure to the tank.
my main question is the hollow crankcase bolt that lets impulses go to the oil tank. it was plugged. after poking a wire in there and spraying with carb cleaner it cleared out. is there supposed to be a one way valve there too ?
right now it lets pulses go both ways. i couldn't find anything inside the tank like a duckbill to seal the tank there.
i made sure the small vent wire was moving in it's hole. i assume this bleeds off pressure after the saw stops to minimize leakage ?
any

my micro xxv oiler won't oil. i replaced the rotted line between the one way valve behind the flat plate and where it comes out to oil the chain. i also blew out the valve and increased the hole slightly as it seemed slow when i put some pressure to the tank.
my main question is the hollow crankcase bolt that lets impulses go to the oil tank. it was plugged. after poking a wire in there and spraying with carb cleaner it cleared out. is there supposed to be a one way valve there too ?
right now it lets pulses go both ways. i couldn't find anything inside the tank like a duckbill to seal the tank there.
i made sure the small vent wire was moving in it's hole. i assume this bleeds off pressure after the saw stops to minimize leakage ?
any

I think on these micros that little wire vent right next to the oil outlet after years of use they wear the hole bigger and then the oil tank can't build enough pressure to oil properly. I've done I think everything I can to my micros, some oil too much, some not enough. One particular micro I cleaned the oil pump out and made sure it was working, put a brand new check valve and new oil line, and the saw only oils very minimally.

The crankcase one way valve or "hollow bolt" you should only be able to blow air through it, not be able to suck it back, if you can, you need to replace it.

Just thought of somthing else, remember on these saws if the reed valve isn't closing or is out of spec (.010 max gap, preferable no gap) then some pulses are going back through the carb. If have a saw with that common whistle problem while pulling the starter rope with the throttle open, then you need to check into the reed.

Last edited:
Question on the 2900, is that close to the modern PP4620, I'm hoping not because the 4620 is built like a Fisher Price toy. Lol Just checked it's the older model 2900 without the chainbrake.

Last edited:
Some of you my not have seen this vid of my 5200 since I finally got a 5200 filter and can run it with the cover on. The wood is hard frozen Oak. I've removed all the original decals. I may be painting it. If not, it will at least get all new decals.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/l06sC7I9aX4?rel=0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Wow, that saw rocks! I bet a lot of newer saws couldn't cut that good.

thanks dave76-looks like i need the hollow bolt valve. i did a search and found a post by modifiedmark with the part no. so i'll try and find one. this system reminds me of the one on the homelite xl which was kinda iffy at best too.
i don't hear the whistling on the reed so will go ahead with the bolt/valve.

You know what? Thats the thing about any vintage saw, not just Poulans, parts are no longer made for them. They don't grow on trees.

Like Mike said, I have some here, I also own about 60 vintage Poulans and have my sights set on picking up some more.

No offense, get out and find you some, there out there like Mike points out.

There useally not free though. I just bought 2 brand new sets last week for a couple 5200's I'm restoring. They were $8 a piece.

Now tell me again why someone here should just send you some guide plates.

Please explain it to me.

You said in your other thread you were getting rid of your Poulans to get a modern saw. Sounds like that might be the best idea for your situation.

I even seen a guy offer you a 026 for them. Lots of people swear by them, so why don't you do that. Lighter, less vibes and you can go down to any Stihl dealer and buy parts for them there.
I was not expecting to just have someone give me a guide plate. I would def. pay for it. Next time i think its best you dont assume something.

Bob

Heyyyy I'm a 20 something (29)! But you and mark are right. That is the trend. I like these saws cause I appreciate quality, rugeddness, and simplicity in a tool I also like stuff made in the USA. I like my Poulans for the same reason I like my 1980 Toro 8/26 snowblower. Its tough, built heavy duty. I used it for 12 hours strait today without a problem while my ccousin went thru 2. (I wont name brands). And it would be a cold day in hell before I'd trade a 3700 for a MS310

Thanks!

Thanks guys and thanks for the link to the gas line thread.

I will post up some pics and hopefully a video when I get'er running. P&C look like brand new, so I hope she is a good runner.

Reps sent!

BBB

Sorry id rather give my money to a fellow member.

Fellow members have stated a preference to keep those they have accumulated. Most here look for the parts elsewhere, and even sometimes hint or PM about where to find such treasures, and if you haven't p###ed off the people you are asking, the replies are very helpful.

Fellow members have stated a preference to keep those they have accumulated. Most here look for the parts elsewhere, and even sometimes hint or PM about where to find such treasures, and if you haven't p###ed off the people you are asking, the replies are very helpful.

I didnt think standing up for myself would have pissed off people, but ok. That guide plate most have just showed up on ebay, since ive been searching for a while now.

It doesnt really matter now though since ive swapped them for a 026 pro.......

I didnt think standing up for myself would have pissed off people, but ok. That guide plate most have just showed up on ebay, since ive been searching for a while now.

OK, great saw. I'm not mad, don't think others are loosing sleep either. Sometimes the direct approach wears thin, and you've gotten answers for most, if not all your questions. I seem to remember a couple times when you've asked the same question, already answered. I never lost any sleep over that either. That Randy has a lot of stuff, and gets a little better than the going rate IMHO. But he has it.

Thanks guys and thanks for the link to the gas line thread.

I will post up some pics and hopefully a video when I get'er running. P&C look like brand new, so I hope she is a good runner.

Reps sent!

BBB
Oh, and I think some of the experts have said not to expect arm breaking compression from these saws
:cheers:

If you go back and read that post that I posted before, I never said anyting about paying at all. I said why should someone send you one of there guide plates. Your the one that said something about paying.

If you swapped for that 026 from Rod, I'm sure your getting a good saw. Probably a good deal for both of you.

Latest posts

Back