Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your right the reducer and hardner really drive up the cost. I have had some leftovers for years and have been useing it up, so that cost was already paid along time ago, so actually it only cost me paint.

I mix and match brands of paint and reducer all the time, and I can tell no difference. Just make sure its the same type, acrylic enamel etc. I think I used Sherwin Williams reducer with the Valspar paint this time. LOL

I just bought a qurart of paint for $40. Cheaper that way then by buying 1/2 pint at a time. These 2 are just the first of 4 that I planned on doing. I figure it cost $10 a saw that way, for just the paint.

Mark, what color Valspar did you use? Its obviuosly an alternative to the 1970 Dodge Sublime. MY hardner was used at 1 part to two part paint, no reducer. Did you use the hardner per the Valspar ratio?
Bob

The 2 gaskets you can order from Poulan. The throttle wire boot is actually just a square piece of foam, you can make that from a piece of air fliter foam. I think I pointed that out in my fuel line thread.

The trigger will have to come used. I may have one but need to finish up a couple of projects before I dig that stuff out.

Thanks ModMark.

I just pitched three 2150 carcases Tuesday. I bet I could have used a trigger off one of them (with modifications). I'm gonna look at the one pee poor Craftsman again.

Carl.

Mark, what color Valspar did you use? Its obviuosly an alternative to the 1970 Dodge Sublime. MY hardner was used at 1 part to two part paint, no reducer. Did you use the hardner per the Valspar ratio?
Bob

Yes Bob I replied to your question before, but you might have missed it.

Yes it is Mopar Sublime green. I don't know what type paint you used but Acrylic Enamel don't mix like that.

Break on a Poulan 245A

Greetings -

I have a Poulan 245A. This saw is new to me. I finally put a new chain and bar on it and cutting this past weekend. Does this saw have a brake? My Stihl that is 10 years old has a break and the chain stops. I know the saw was originally purchased in 77' by my father and he had no use to it so he gave it to me. He can't remember if it was supposed to have a break or not. I adjusted the idle down but the chain still runs.

Any tips/throughts would be appreciated.

FOR THE MODS - If this is not in the right space, please feel free to move it.

PS Didn't catch the "break" versus "brake"

Last edited:
Greetings -

I have a Poulan 245A. This saw is new to me. I finally put a new chain and bar on it and cutting this past weekend. Does this saw have a brake? My Stihl that is 10 years old has a break and the chain stops. I know the saw was originally purchased in 77' by my father and he had no use to it so he gave it to me. He can't remember if it was supposed to have a break or not. I adjusted the idle down but the chain still runs.

Any tips/throughts would be appreciated.

FOR THE MODS - If this is not in the right space, please feel free to move it.

PS Didn't catch the "break" versus "brake"

The 245A is a great saw but it is getting old. No brakes on most saws from that era.

If your afraid of it without a brake don't run it. I myself think that a brake is way overrated and do not replace good cutting safety procedures.

You must not have very good safety procedures either if you continued to run the saw with a clutch problem and it not letting the chain stop at idle.

That saw needs the proper tools to remove that clutch without butchering it up. So if you don't have the know how or the proper tools to remove it, take it to someone who does.

Maybe I didn't say the things you wanted to hear but its just the way it is.

The 245A is a great saw but it is getting old. No brakes on most saws from that era.

If your afraid of it without a brake don't run it. I myself think that a brake is way overrated and do not replace good cutting safety procedures.

You must not have very good safety procedures either if you continued to run the saw with a clutch problem and it not letting the chain stop at idle.

That saw needs the proper tools to remove that clutch without butchering it up. So if you don't have the know how or the proper tools to remove it, take it to someone who does.

Maybe I didn't say the things you wanted to hear but its just the way it is.

Very sound advice!

the poulan 25da is done and running

up front i want to thank roncoinc for sending me the coil and flywheel for this saw. To make a story short i traded a guy some hickory for this saw. It was non running and had sit for about 15+ years. He said that it was his fathers and he had passed away 5 years ago. I got it home and checked it over and told my wife that i wanted to fix it up for bob and give it back to him since it was his fathers. So it is done and running. I had to replace the fuel line,,plug,,fuel filter, coil and flywheel. Got it all back together today,tuned it and sharpened the chain,,it was dull. Now it starts right up and runs great. The auto oiler pumps plenty of oil. Except for some of the missing paint it is a new saw again. Here is the final pics and video. The next couple of pics is before. So i am going to put it back in the case and surprise bob with it tonight

002-11.jpg

001-12.jpg

014-1.jpg

008.jpg

007-2.jpg

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZsBbmwlX57U?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZsBbmwlX57U?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Nice Work

Do your hands feel like you just push mowed for two hours now? I have only had mine running for a few minutes and vibrates the heck out of ya.

Good Job!

Do your hands feel like you just push mowed for two hours now? I have only had mine running for a few minutes and vibrates the heck out of ya.

Good Job!

thanks brian.. I really didn't notice the vibration being to bad but i was more concerned about how it ran. i did a little more tweeking on it and sharpened the chain and it a good running little saw

thanks brian.. I really didn't notice the vibration being to bad but i was more concerned about how it ran. i did a little more tweeking on it and sharpened the chain and it a good running little saw

Seems like everyone who has one really likes this model. It will feel good to return it to your friend in clean running condition! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back