Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earlier this spring when I was running my 203 Poulan in wood for the first time. I made several cuts and it quit. When I tried restarting, it made some horrible sounds and kinda acted like it was locking up, like a broke ring or something. I was very SAD to say the least.

I finally got around to tearing it apart, to see what the damages were. Fully expecting to be searching for a new P/C for it. Anyway, I pulled the cyl. Everything inside was in great shape! I was pleasantly surprised!

Turns out when I had this saw apart the first time, I evidently had a brain fart, or some other malfunction..LOL I found I had left the 3 screws on the metal plate behind the flywheel loose.
The screw heads were rubbing and trying to catch on the back side of the flywheel.

I still can't figure how I messed up and left them loose. But stuff happens I guess.:msp_ohmy: Probably won't be the last dumb thing I do. So anyway, My 203 with comp release & roller nose bar still LIVES!!:redface:

:cheers:
Gregg,

Don't worry Gregg, we all do stuff like that. :)

If all my mistakes were compiled up, I could write a book!:ices_rofl:

5200 vs 8500

What's the difference between the two? I know the 8500 was first produced in 84 and the 5200 was 75. Acres site list the specs for the 5200, but very little on the 8500 other than the year made and bore and stroke specs. I picked up a pretty nice 8500 last night along with a 795 Mac at the local Amish auction barn. I am glad my wife wanted to go. I had a bunch stuff I needed to do at home but she wanted to get out of the house and do something. I'm glad she did. I came home with a truck load of stuff and she bought a loaf of Amish made bread.:hmm3grin2orange:
When I was bidding on the 8500 there was a almost new Wildthing with it and the auctioneer said choice saws. I won the bid and of course took the 8500, the back up bidder was offered the Wild thing for the same price as I got the 8500 for and was thrilled to get to take it. He was bidding to get the Wildthing. He couldn't believe I passed up an almost new saw for an old one. I told him the 36" .404 Windsor Speed Tip bar alone on the 8500 was worth more than the Wildthing.

I checked out the 8500 this morning and it will need a new fuel line and probably a carb kit. I think I can make a fuel line but with the large inlet fuel barb on the Tilly carb and the rather small hole the line goes through into the tank may be a problem. The previous owner had it rigged together with two different size lines. I assume this line was a molded fuel line from the factory similar to a Mac 10-10 line. Hopefully chips will be flying by nightfall with this saw.
Acres site show the operating rpm's for the 5200 at 7,500 is this right??? I assume it will be the same on the 8500 if it is.

Last edited:
What's the difference between the two? I know the 8500 was first produced in 84 and the 5200 was 75. Acres site list the specs for the 5200, but very little on the 8500 other than the year made and bore and stroke specs. I picked up a pretty nice 8500 last night along with a 795 Mac at the local Amish auction barn. I am glad my wife wanted to go. I had a bunch stuff I needed to do at home but she wanted to get out of the house and do something. I'm glad she did. I came home with a truck load of stuff and she bought a loaf of Amish made bread.:hmm3grin2orange:
When I was bidding on the 8500 there was a almost new Wildthing with it and the auctioneer said choice saws. I won the bid and of course took the 8500, the back up bidder was offered the Wild thing for the same price as I got the 8500 for and was thrilled to get to take it. He was bidding to get the Wildthing. He couldn't believe I passed up an almost new saw for an old one. I told him the 36" .404 Windsor Speed Tip bar alone on the 8500 was worth more than the Wildthing.

I checked out the 8500 this morning and it will need a new fuel line and probably a carb kit. I think I can make a fuel line but with the large inlet fuel barb on the Tilly carb and the rather small hole the line goes through into the tank may be a problem. The previous owner had it rigged together with two different size lines. I assume this line was a molded fuel line from the factory similar to a Mac 10-10 line. Hopefully chips will be flying by nightfall with this saw.

I got this one guys....3300

3500 Flywheel

Thanks for the info on the flywheel removal everyone...the most trouble I had was finding the right "soft" hammer. I finally found a little brass hammer in my garage and gave it a couple of medium taps and it popped right off! Glad I came to the experts before trying it on my own, I probably would have pried on it forever when this was so much easier!

Acres site show the operating rpm's for the 5200 at 7,500 is this right??? I assume it will be the same on the 8500 if it is.

Chuck, that fuel line is a one piece line. It needs a 3/16"id but the common size now has a 5/16" od which is kinda too big.

Thats why I ended up using a 2 piece line setup on them. I have a couple NOS lines for them but they seem a little stiff from setting.

The 8500 is basically a improved 5200.

I can't believe your luck to get a 8500 for the bid of a wild thing. :hmm3grin2orange:

Your PM box will be hit hard soon I would imagine.

Chuck, that fuel line is a one piece line. It needs a 3/16"id but the common size now has a 5/16" od which is kinda too big.

Thats why I ended up using a 2 piece line setup on them. I have a couple NOS lines for them but they seem a little stiff from setting.

The 8500 is basically a improved 5200.

I can't believe your luck to get a 8500 for the bid of a wild thing. :hmm3grin2orange:

Your PM box will be hit hard soon I would imagine.
Here's a pict of the 8500 and the 795. after several hours of scrubbing and de- greasing. They cleaned up good and looked nothing like this at the auction. I also picked up an 028 Stihl that is a runner, but needs all new AV mounts along with these last night. The Mac as usual is missing a lot of paint. I think it should be a runner. It has good compression. I got the 8500 running, but it is leaking oil from the pump area pretty good and oil is not making it to the bar. I used some bulk fuel line for the 8500 I had here. I had to do a little stretching on the carb end of the line with inserted needle nose pliers to get it stretched over the huge inlet barb on the Tilly carb. I used a large Stihl fuel filter on the other end. It wasn't leaking any gas where the line goes through into the tank. Mark do you know what the max rpm's on this saw should be set at. I love the way this saw sounds both at idle and opened up. I haven't put it in wood yet, but I can tell it has some balls.
100_4822640x480.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a pict of the 8500 and the 795. after several hours of scrubbing and de- greasing. They cleaned up good and looked nothing like this at the auction. I also picked up an 028 Stihl that is a runner, but needs all new AV mounts along with these last night. The Mac as usual is missing a lot of paint. I think it should be a runner. It has good compression. I got the 8500 running, but it is leaking oil from the pump area pretty good and oil is not making it to the bar. I used some bulk fuel line for the 8500 I had here. I had to do a little stretching on the carb end of the line with inserted needle nose pliers to get it stretched over the huge inlet barb on the Tilly carb. I used a large Stihl fuel filter on the other end. It wasn't leaking any gas where the line goes through into the tank. Mark do you know what the max rpm's on this saw should be set at. I love the way this saw sounds both at idle and opened up. I haven't put it in wood yet, but I can tell it has some balls.
100_4822640x480.jpg

Great find Blackoak:bowdown: You have a lot of us Poulan nuts very jealous right now. LOL They are basically the same saw as the 5200, just a bunch of small "improved" items. Two piece air cleaner cover, with a different air cleaner I believe.
They have a different bar mount than the 5200/5400. I think they use 3/8" studs, the other Poulans 5/16".

I'm not sure if the 8500 is governed or not, the 5200 is. But most will bypass that. I don't have a tach, but I would guess you can get more rpm than the stated 7500. I have heard more like 9000+. Some of these other fellas can tell you more. I don't have one....:D Yet.
:cheers:
Gregg,

Oi:(
Here's a pict of the 8500 and the 795. after several hours of scrubbing and de- greasing. They cleaned up good and looked nothing like this at the auction. I also pickedupp an 028 Stihl that is a runner, but needs all new AV mounts along with these last night. The Mac as usual is missing a lot of paint. I think it should be a runner. It has good compression. I got the 8500 running, but it is leaking oil from the pump area pretty good and oil is not making it to the bar. I used some bulk fuel line for the 8500 I had here. I had to do a little stretching on the carb end of the line with inserted needle nose pliers to get it stretched over the huge inlet barb on the Tilly carb. I used a large Stihl fuel filter on the other end. It wasn't leaking any gas where the line goes through into the tank. Mark do you know what the max rpm's on this saw should be set at. I love the way this saw sounds both at idle and opened up. I haven't put it in wood yet, but I can tell it has some balls.
100_4822640x480.jpg

Chuck, forget what the max rpm is that carb is governed and haS to be set in the cut. That thing sure is a beauty.

It sure will have some balls.

100_4822640x480.jpg

I'd glady take that 795 off your hands if you were a "Poulan Man"

:)

Chris

Another 3500 question

I bought this 3500 Poulan without bar and chain. I had a bar and chain hanging in my garage from another Poulan and put it on the saw and it fit good and I ran it and noticed nothing wrong, it oiled good, etc. But then I got to checking and the bar and chain are for a .325 pitch and the 3500 is supposed to be a 3/8 pitch. I examined it closer and it seems the chain is a good fit for the rim on the sprocket. Could someone have put a 3300 sprocket on this 3500 saw? I tried a 3/8 chain and of course it wouldn't fit on the bar at the sprocket end. Hmm..

Where in southern Indiana are you from? We might be neighbors!!
I live about 25 miles north of Evansville. I live out in the sticks between the small towns of Oakland City and Petersburg. I used to do some coal mine reclamation work up near Linton-Dugger and Pleasantville for Peabody and Kindall coal mines. I'm about 1.5 hours from Linton.

Latest posts

Back