Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL, Yes, I think I have replaced the duckbill valve on all of my saws. The good thing is, most all the older Poulans use the same valve. Just some of them aren't in the cap. When ya order, buy several. They are cheap, and like I say, most all use them. They are a easy fix for an annoying problem.
:cheers:
Gregg,

Yep get at least a half dozen at once! There still used on alot of Elux equipment even today.

There should be a "star washer" inside the hole in the cap. Need to pry that out. Clean the goo, (remains of the old duck bill valve). Then put the star washer over the new duckbill, and tap it back in the cap. I usually use a small screw driver, but something like an empty case from a BIC pen to drive the washer back in place. The duck bill valves can be ordered from Poulan. I think Homelite has one that will work also. They are a little shorter.
Gregg,

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

LOL, Yes, I think I have replaced the duckbill valve on all of my saws. The good thing is, most all the older Poulans use the same valve. Just some of them aren't in the cap. When ya order, buy several. They are cheap, and like I say, most all use them. They are a easy fix for an annoying problem.
Gregg,

I didn't have to order any, already had some on hand from repairing all the Homelites last summer. Hardest part was getting that little star washer out. The job's all done now, back to the easy chair...

By the way, the place I ordered from won't let you order less than a dozen, I needed that many anyway. I think these came from Stens. The Homelite valve fit perfectly.

Last edited:
Take the plate off and try it.
Sometimes those plates get bent and leak like hell.
Also are you SURE it has the right bar?
Some of the bars will fit but the oiler holes don't line up correctly.
Naturally the pressurized oil will take the path of least resistance.

If you are a purist and HAVE to replace that plate I probably have one for you.

Mike
I will try it without the plate, If you can run it without then i will. Thanks Mike, The plate may be warped some.

I will try it without the plate, If you can run it without then i will. Thanks Mike, The plate may be warped some.

Whether they need it or not...all of my saws get a bit of Permatex around the inner guide plate. Clean both surfaces (plate and body of saw) apply a small amount of PT (where appropriate) and your oil will go where it is supposed to.

Some saws (and plates) have a small channel, others just a hole.

Use the PT judiciously so you don't plug the oil hole.

Of course... checking to see if the holes in the bar line up and are NOT clogged with debris...goes without saying.

Great find Blackoak:bowdown: You have a lot of us Poulan nuts very jealous right now......

He has both Poulan and McCulloch nuts taking notice...:cheers:

I'd glady take that 795 off your hands if you were a "Poulan Man".

:)

Chris

Dangit Chris. Faster on the draw again. I had three pages of this thread to read through...........and I just knew you were gonna post up before the end of it...:jester:

I posted that I thought the saw was counterfit due to the short foam on the handle and the little bitty sissy dawgs.....and he should send it to me for verification. Didn't get a response:laugh::laugh:

Then I asked if he would post a picture of the clutch cover so Nik and I could get a good look at the decal. I tried to do my best to get the information to Nik for the decals but I don't have much to work with on my saw...same result. The guy who made the decal's dropped the ball, I hope it wasn't because of any missinformation or inacurate measurements that I gave to Nik.:popcorn::popcorn:

I would sure like to see a picture of one that was not beat to crap from being laid on its side for refueling...like a good working chainsaw should be...

If you have not noticed, Chuck comes and goes around here. He's not here everyday but no doubt he would help with the decal photo when he can.

If your waiting on the decals from a certain guy, dont get in a hurry. He just dosent have time to just crank out set after new set. I'm waiting for a set of PP 655 decals as well.

I took the Oil plate off like Mike said and the 2150 oils nicely now. I made a noodle video with it, It's loading to youtube now. Be about another hour before i can post it. I did get it running better after the video. It does clog up easy while noodling. But after i got it running better, It didn't clog up as bad. You will see it clog up in the video. Little bugger cuts pretty darn decent.

I took the Oil plate off like Mike said and the 2150 oils nicely now. I made a noodle video with it, It's loading to youtube now. Be about another hour before i can post it. I did get it running better after the video. It does clog up easy while noodling. But after i got it running better, It didn't clog up as bad. You will see it clog up in the video. Little bugger cuts pretty darn decent.

Glad to hear you got if figured out!

Got some good things going today. First I found some sprockets for the 252. Got a .404 and a 1/2" coming for it. I also found a NOS Poulan bow setup.

It's a later plate bow that is correct for the 744 and the 71-A but will also fit the 252 if I want to use it on that as well.

Second, a corroded to pieces 4900 found its way here as well. Its a rough one and will probably best be used for parts but it has a near perfect (from what I can see and tell) P/C and lots of spark.

So I now have a execllent 77cc top end for a future project if one turns up. :rock:

Last edited:
When I get the time I will have to put my 4200 against my Homelite 923. I suspect that they will be pretty evenly matched. 69cc Poulan against 82CC Homelite

Well they might match up well with 20" bars on them but if the 923 runs like the 925's I had the 4200 will fall short with bigger bars on them.

You need to compare apples to apples and saws with the same displacement is a good place to start......

Well they might match up well with 20" bars on them but if the 923 runs like the 925's I had the 4200 will fall short with bigger bars on them.

You need to compare apples to apples and saws with the same displacement is a good place to start......
^^^^^^ Agreed, however I would feel comfortable putting a 77cc saw up against it. Properly tuned (and governor disabled) they have a lot of grunt.

Staying inside the Poulan stable....I'd love to compare the difference between any of the 77cc offerings and the 85cc (5200/5400/8500).

My 4900 runs really strong, I can only imagine an 8500 would really make me smile, but sometimes the difference in a few cc's is not that great.

Someday...I'll find an 8500 and have my answer.

Last edited:
Then I asked if he would post a picture of the clutch cover so Nik and I could get a good look at the decal. I tried to do my best to get the information to Nik for the decals but I don't have much to work with on my saw...same result. The guy who made the decal's dropped the ball, I hope it wasn't because of any missinformation or inacurate measurements that I gave to Nik.:popcorn::popcorn:

I would sure like to see a picture of one that was not beat to crap from being laid on its side for refueling...like a good working chainsaw should be...

This what you talkin' about? Still has a flaw. Can you find it?
Already have the fixed version. Just got them back from the printer yesterday. He was busy for the last week or so. I'm going to try to get them out to Nik this week.

attachment.php

View attachment 185926

Back