Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blackoak

blackoak

Addicted to ArboristSite
Oi:(

Chuck, forget what the max rpm is that carb is governed and haS to be set in the cut. That thing sure is a beauty.

It sure will have some balls.
I'm pretty certain that the governor in the carb has been plugged. I should have check when I had it off checking to see if I needed to put a kit in.The carb was amazingly clean and in good shape on the inside even though I'm sure it has not been ran in quite a while. I didn't put a tach on it, but I could lean it out and it was cranking out some rpm's. I could get it back to 4 stroking taking it back out to about 1-1/2 turns. Your right though, tuning in the cut, governed or not is the best way to find the "sweet" spot. I had to quit messing with it and to get back working on others peoples saws. I have been covered up with saw work with all the tornadoes and storms here lately. I probably have about 3 hours of setting at my grinder just sharpening chains tomorrow. I can hardly wait:(

redunshee

redunshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
I bought this 3500 Poulan without bar and chain. I had a bar and chain hanging in my garage from another Poulan and put it on the saw and it fit good and I ran it and noticed nothing wrong, it oiled good, etc. But then I got to checking and the bar and chain are for a .325 pitch and the 3500 is supposed to be a 3/8 pitch. I examined it closer and it seems the chain is a good fit for the rim on the sprocket. Could someone have put a 3300 sprocket on this 3500 saw? I tried a 3/8 chain and of course it wouldn't fit on the bar at the sprocket end. Hmm..

I suppose someone could have but you are correct that 3/8 is the correct pitch for the 3500.
Bob

a. palmer jr.
I live about 25 miles north of Evansville. I live out in the sticks between the small towns of Oakland City and Petersburg. I used to do some coal mine reclamation work up near Linton-Dugger and Pleasantville for Peabody and Kindall coal mines. I'm about 1.5 hours from Linton.

I'm slightly familiar with your area, my son lives in Evansville and I used to go through Petersburg when I went down there. He moved to the other side of town so now we go down 41 to get there. More scenic going through Petersburg and lots less traffic lights.

Flintknapper

Flintknapper

ArboristSite Operative
Thank You Sir......!

Big shout out to Mike "rms61moparman" for his help.

I was having a hard time finding a replacement piston for my S25DA.

I did finally find one (new) at one spot, but $60.00 plus shipping just didn't seem financially expedient.

Mike took the time out of his schedule to go through his saws/parts and find me what I needed.

It is that sort of kindness and dedication to fellow Poulan enthusiasts that really sets this group apart.

Thank you friend!

Flint.

rms61moparman

rms61moparman

Addicted to ArboristSite

I did finally find one (new) at one spot, but $60.00 plus shipping just didn't seem financially expedient.

Mike took the time out of his schedule to go through his saws/parts and find me what I needed.

It is that sort of kindness and dedication to fellow Poulan enthusiasts that really sets this group apart.

Thank you friend!

Flint.

That is what we are here for Flint.
That saw would never have been a runner again anyway.
It was in good shape mechanically but not as good cosmetically as some I have here.

(A Mac enthusiast would have probably sent you one ... WITH ca$h) .......... (maybe) :msp_rolleyes:

I was a little short on cash that day.
I'll have to make up for it next time I guess!!

Mike

redunshee

redunshee

Addicted to ArboristSite

Thank you friend!

Flint.

Yup. Mike's a standup guy..........When he isn't drinking.

blackoak

blackoak

Addicted to ArboristSite
I had a great uncle who lived in Montgomery Indiana, I spent a summer there one time when I was a kid, is that anywhere near where you are? The one thing that impressed me about that area is the amount of blue sky and sunshine you get down there. I can remember day after day without ever seeing a cloud.

My great uncle owned a farm that had a creek running through it. I think he was the postmaster in Montgomery, he brought home the congressional record and read it every day. I have never seen anyone do that before. I think it paid off. Some government organazation decided they wanted to dam up a creek and build a lake.....turning the farmland into lakefront property. I am not sure if it was just a coincidence but they chose my great uncle's farm.......:laugh:

I have never seen the lake but my younger brother has fished there and caught some monster dinner plate sized bluegills.:cool2:
I'm about 35 miles from Montgomery, but this is where these two saws came from. There's a huge auction every Friday night and people from all over bring stuff in to sell. They have nine auction rings going at once. It is ran by the local Amish who live there. It called Dinky's Auction barn. You can not believe what all get sold there. It's usually good for a few saws, but I have bought as many as 21 saws there one night.

a. palmer jr.
I'm about 35 miles from Montgomery, but this is where these two saws came from. There's a huge auction every Friday night and people from all over bring stuff in to sell. They have nine auction rings going at once. It is ran by the local Amish who live there. It called Dinky's Auction barn. You can not believe what all get sold there. It's usually good for a few saws, but I have bought as many as 21 saws there one night.
I've been there once..three or four years ago, bought a Lawn Boy push mower for $1. Still using it, had an engine problem but I bought it for the aluminum deck anyway. The problem is, they have several auctions at once and you can only bid in one of them unless you bring a bunch of friends and tell them what to bid. It was a little crowded for me. I don't think I bought any saws that night. I would probably go back sometime though.

stihl sawing
I have a question, I got the 2150 running good but the oiler is dumping it straight down. I took it all apart and oil is coming out of the hole, But instead of going to the bar it's flowing straight down. The bar holes are not plugged and the oiler works. Is that oiler plate supposed to seal off somehow. It's getting very little to the bar, Most of it falls out the bottom of the saw. The oiler doesn't leak either, It's all coming from the oiler hole.

Last edited:
rms61moparman

rms61moparman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have a question, I got the 2150 running good but the oiler is dumping it straight down. I took it all apart and oil is coming out of the hole, But instead of going to the bar it's flowing straight down. The bar holes are not plugged and the oiler works. Is that oiler plate supposed to seal off somehow. It's getting very little to the bar, Most of it falls out the bottom of the saw. The oiler doesn't leak either, It's all coming from the oiler hole.

Take the plate off and try it.
Sometimes those plates get bent and leak like hell.
Also are you SURE it has the right bar?
Some of the bars will fit but the oiler holes don't line up correctly.
Naturally the pressurized oil will take the path of least resistance.

If you are a purist and HAVE to replace that plate I probably have one for you.

Mike

hemiyota

hemiyota

ArboristSite Operative
My 245A is part whale

I just took it out, and fired it up, and "Thar she blows!" It started squirting a stream of gas, straight up, from the gas cap. Is there supposed to be a check valve in the cap?

OhioGregg

OhioGregg

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I just took it out, and fired it up, and "Thar she blows!" It started squirting a stream of gas, straight up, from the gas cap. Is there supposed to be a check valve in the cap?

LOL, Yes. Put one of these in the cap. Make sure the goo, remains of whats left is cleaned out first.:)

100_0108-1.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

a. palmer jr.

I just went out and checked mine..the cap is vented but I don't think mine has a check valve in it, you can blow through it either way. I never did notice mine spewing gas out of the cap though and I ran it quite a bit last year. I'm pretty sure I would have noticed something like that..

OhioGregg

OhioGregg

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Yeah, it looked like a gob of grease, stuck in the center. Does the valve just push in the center??

There should be a "star washer" inside the hole in the cap. Need to pry that out. Clean the goo, (remains of the old duck bill valve). Then put the star washer over the new duckbill, and tap it back in the cap. I usually use a small screw driver, but something like an empty case from a BIC pen to drive the washer back in place. The duck bill valves can be ordered from Poulan. I think Homelite has one that will work also. They are a little shorter.
Gregg,

OhioGregg

OhioGregg

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Most of them have a metal washer that goes around it and locks it in there.
Well, I guess this means I have to go out and service the cap on mine now.

LOL, Yes, I think I have replaced the duckbill valve on all of my saws. The good thing is, most all the older Poulans use the same valve. Just some of them aren't in the cap. When ya order, buy several. They are cheap, and like I say, most all use them. They are a easy fix for an annoying problem.
Gregg,

Latest posts