Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey guys - any particular reason a 46cc poulan frankensaw would be running HOT!!! ==== it started off life as a 2775.

it most likely started off as a 4620 and got the 2775 muffler 'enhancement' and dropped into the 2775 body. I looked at the 2775 IPL and the AF cover 'looks' correct, but it is awfully close to the top of the jug, which may be different since it came off the 4620. I put this one together from a pile of 3 or 4 46cc saws in various conditions...

I can't believe how good it runs and cuts the future firewood pile, although I think Poulan may have been a bit optimistic with the factory 20" bar once I replaced the chain with some chisel. I've got a couple of those 16" roller noses that Mark pointed out to us some time ago, but that would just look wierd :)

I was motoring along fine with the 2300 (which is my go-to saw for clearing the firewood piles) and I threw the chain and buggered up the drive links, so I tried the 2775 and it started melting plastic and runnin' smoking hot. I ended up richening up the high-side quite a bit to get more power in the cut. I'll look at it more later to see if it is missing some internal plenum piece.

(it's early and I'm rambling... )

Last edited:
Photo0295.jpg

I could use one more.

Oh hell no :msp_thumbdn:, you have too many already! :D

What is the difference between today's Poulan and Poulan Pro saws?:popcorn:

Regards,

Lee

I think..someone will have to confirm or deny..the poulans are the fixed rigid models, and cheaper, and the pros have some anti vibe features to them, and are more expensive and some larger displacements. Basically, poulans two tier approach, similar to the other makes "homeowner" and "professional"

Well dang, easy enough to go look, BRB..yep

Chain Saws | Poulan

Chain Saws | Poulan Pro

Craftsman 3.3

picked up a feebay special!!, NOT SO MUCH! saw came missing bar plate and adjuster screw. Anyway I pulled it all apart to find a single ring chrome cylinder unplated piston! Saw is a VERY VERY nice low hour Craftsman 3.3 Sears Best. Had a broken ring with piece missing about 40 thousands long. Its NO where to be found and saw was never apart. thinking factory mess up.
Cylinder and piston show NO signs of damage or ring issue.

Question is ? I have three of these saws, this one, one with two thin rings chrome bore and another two ring non chrome bore, IS THERE ANY NORMAL parts too these?

Part# 358351200

Duane

Those cover bolts are specialty items.
They are fine thread and the head is football shaped. (When looking from the side)
There are some standard sized bolts that will work, but they look like hell to anyone who knows what they should look like.

Mike

Like Mike said. They are 10/24 thread. There are three diff. length screws. Part #'s are 530015364, 530015365 and 530015366.

It looks to me like you have the air deflector for the later style silver muffler with an older style black muffler. The older muffler used just a deflector that was behind the muffler and had a fin that was down by the flywheel to catch air and didn't wrap up and around like the later one and the one in the pic loks like the later one. May not be your problem but worth looking at.

picked up a feebay special!!, NOT SO MUCH! saw came missing bar plate and adjuster screw. Anyway I pulled it all apart to find a single ring chrome cylinder unplated piston! Saw is a VERY VERY nice low hour Craftsman 3.3 Sears Best. Had a broken ring with piece missing about 40 thousands long. Its NO where to be found and saw was never apart. thinking factory mess up.

Question is ? I have three of these saws, this one, one with two thin rings chrome bore and another two ring non chrome bore, IS THERE ANY NORMAL parts too these?
Part# 358351200

Duane

Well, Duane, you could read this entire thread :dizzy: :dizzy:, or hopefully one of the Poulan experts will provide an explanation of the differences found in what is basically the same model of saw. Either way you'll probably need some asprin :dazed: and alcohol :liquor:.

Very serious question

For you gentlemen below the equator;

On a warm sunny day with no wind, Does a Poulan 3400 when placed on a smooth concrete floor;

If you set it down idling, does it gradually vibrate itself in a clockwise or counter-clockwise direction? Please take into account All satellites, curvature of the earth, global warming, FEMA, and
all other contributing factors.

In Emporium we go clockwise :)

Tommorrow is friday!

KJC:biggrinbounce2:

For you gentlemen below the equator;

On a warm sunny day with no wind, Does a Poulan 3400 when placed on a smooth concrete floor;

If you set it down idling, does it gradually vibrate itself in a clockwise or counter-clockwise direction? Please take into account All satellites, curvature of the earth, global warming, FEMA, and
all other contributing factors.

In Emporium we go clockwise :)

Tommorrow is friday!

KJC:biggrinbounce2:

i know water draining from a sink goes the opposite direction down under but i'd bet a chainsaw goes the same in both places. good question though. anxious to see the answer from one of our down-under brethren

attachment.php

looks like it might vent engine heat a little better without the muffler shroud. i paid a little extra attention putting the muffler back on to hopefully get rid of any potential leaks... i'll try it out later. thx again for the tips.

Part# 358351200

Duane

Duane, are you telling me you got a Craftsman 3.3 with a thin ring piston with a chrome bore? The 3.3 Craftsmans are as far as I know only plain bore cyls just like the Poulan 3300. Heck even the Craftsman 3.0 had a plain bore while its Poulan 3000 counter part had a chrome bore.

Craftsman 3.3

Duane, are you telling me you got a Craftsman 3.3 with a thin ring piston with a chrome bore? The 3.3 Craftsmans are as far as I know only plain bore cyls just like the Poulan 3300. Heck even the Craftsman 3.0 had a plain bore while its Poulan 3000 counter part had a chrome bore.

Mark

Right now my new saw is a single thick ring and chrome bore, my other saw is a two thick ring chrome piston. Now, I have another 3.3 I loaned out to the church in town to cut fire wood bundles for extra money for Sunday school, it is a two thin ring chrome bore. This two thin ring saw I bought new along with another back in 1991, I since gave one of them away to a member of that church.

are you confused yet? because I sure am!!!!

Duane

Ahh, that is a black one, the Sears best model. You will see it probably has a different sears part number then the gray ones as well.

Not confusing at all since there not both the plain gray 3.3 saws.

The Sears best models was a higher priced version and is more like the PP335.

295 motor

what cases will a 295 bolt right in???? 2.8 2900 2750 2775 4620 2600 and a 2500 but not a 260 any others? seeing herozes fraken saw i was thinking of makin one my self but wanted to double check if i was right on which saws would work..... please let me know any others or if im wrong thanks.....:bang:

Ahh, that is a black one, the Sears best model. You will see it probably has a different sears part number then the gray ones as well.

Not confusing at all since there not both the plain gray 3.3 saws.

The Sears best models was a higher priced version and is more like the PP335.

I see said the blind man! Guess I'll keep all these 3.3 then and part out my grey Craftsman 2800, I've had 3.3 saws since 1991 and never failed for any reason. Of coarse I changed out the junk clear impulse lines.
Funny though all my Sears Best 3.3 are different anyway, two have Gold writing and TURBO my newest is blue writing no Turbo.
Guess I gotta figure out what piston ring I need now! since this one was messed up since new.

They are like the pp335 but the exhuast doesn't have that funky metal insert.

Duane

Craftsman 295

Question time? since with Marks help I figured out this Black craftsman 3.3 issue, I have a Craftsman 2.8 or 295 Turbo Sears Best all Black anything special?

I bought it for my dad in 1991 when I bought my two 3.3 Craftsman sears best. Its been sitting since mostly since 1998, I used it to trim a tree at my parent last year. It has a TON of hours on it but has no issues, not even fuel lines.

Duane

Latest posts

Back