Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
poulan 2600

hey ya all... so i had a tree job yesterday and took my poulan 2600 runs great cold but was a bear after it got hot i just grabbed my 021 and finished... i noticed after i took the fuel cap off there was alot of pressure this saw vents through the cap right????? looked all over the cap did not see a vent ??????does it vent through the threads??? the cap is a pita to get on and off looks new but it feels warped... could the cap be all the problems?????when i pull it off after running a bit poofs air big time.... almost like its not venting i hav a newr 295 a may see if the cap fits from that and makes any difference .... got a job tommorow was gonna show my buddy it would out cutt the stihl 021 but if it give me a hard time he will be like running that gator....

never mind

hey ya all... so i had a tree job yesterday and took my poulan 2600 runs great cold but was a bear after it got hot i just grabbed my 021 and finished... i noticed after i took the fuel cap off there was alot of pressure this saw vents through the cap right????? looked all over the cap did not see a vent ??????does it vent through the threads??? the cap is a pita to get on and off looks new but it feels warped... could the cap be all the problems?????when i pull it off after running a bit poofs air big time.... almost like its not venting i hav a newr 295 a may see if the cap fits from that and makes any difference .... got a job tommorow was gonna show my buddy it would out cutt the stihl 021 but if it give me a hard time he will be like running that gator....

never mind i switched caps and its acting proper im thinking thats it.....

306a need some help

I finaly was able to find the last 2 parts (ignition coil and muffler and a great thanks to ModifiedMark for them) for my 306 and yesterday was the first attempt to fired it up.The saw running fair enough,it needs a new carb kit but except that,it runs strong and noisy.I noticed that it spits a lot of black mix from the muffler(today i dissasemble the carb,i check the lever of the needle and i set it a little lower.I've put the diaphragms in dot3 and tommorow will see if it's running better).

The other i want to ask has to do with the rod.When i got the saw and dissasembled it,i had noticed that the rod had a little gap on the crankshaft (back and frond,i don't know how you call it) and i assumed that i was maybe need a new rod.When the allmost new rod arrived from chainsawr.com and assembled the rod to the crank i was shock.The gap was there.Now it's less but still excists.I don't know enough about this old saws but from my little expirience on engines(not small engines but i think it won't be much different) i know that when you have a faulty rod(we call it a kicked rod but anyway) the engine will not start or will start but with extremely low compression and a very low power.My 306 has strong compression and a lot of power(from the little i tested it).Can anyone help me with this?

Last edited:
Used the XXV a little today. I need to adjust her a little. She's running outta power on the top end, kinda smells like it's running rich on the low end.

Do it when it is hot. When those green bricks are dialed in, they are *nice*.

Also, it isn't much, but you have to pull the cover to adjust..what happens is, when you put the cover back on, the air flow gets restricted some, which will make your tune now instantly richer. Just like when an air filter is plugged, it will start to run rich.

I finaly was able to find the last 2 parts (ignition coil and muffler and a great thanks to ModifiedMark for them) for my 306 and yesterday was the first attempt to fired it up.The saw running fair enough,it needs a new carb kit but except that,it runs strong and noisy.I noticed that it spits a lot of black mix from the muffler(today i dissasemble the carb,i check the lever of the needle and i set it a little lower.I've put the diaphragms in dot3 and tommorow will see if it's running better).

The other i want to ask has to do with the rod.When i got the saw and dissasembled it,i had noticed that the rod had a little gap on the crankshaft (back and frond,i don't know how you call it) and i assumed that i was maybe need a new rod.When the allmost new rod arrived from chainsawr.com and assembled the rod to the crank i was shock.The gap was there.Now it's less but still excists.I don't know enough about this old saws but from my little expirience on engines(not small engines but i think it won't be much different) i know that when you have a faulty rod(we call it a kicked rod but anyway) the engine will not start or will start but with extremely low compression and a very low power.My 306 has strong compression and a lot of power(from the little i tested it).Can anyone help me with this?

I have no idea what acceptable "play" there might be. If it was running OK before, and now with the new rod it is less "play" seems like it should work though.

I know the poulan pro 330 and 335 are pretty much the same saw except for top covers, air filter and chain brake. Do they both turn the same rpm and is one saw better than the other for any reason?

Long day!!!

just got in a lil while ago had a big oak to do.. hired me a young guy to climb for me guess im gettin old.... it was more time then i wanted to spend in the tree ... anyhow broke out my husqvarna 51 and an hour into cutting the clutch locked up i always have a back up to every saw LOL. set her down broke out my mint poulan 295 pro and cut with her all dam day not a bad saw at all it was as fast as the husky well real close but i think i will down size the bar and it will rip... very light comfy saw to use i have to say the 20 inch bar waS NICE not to have to bend over as the sun went down LOL....

I know the poulan pro 330 and 335 are pretty much the same saw except for top covers, air filter and chain brake. Do they both turn the same rpm and is one saw better than the other for any reason?

John, theres actually more difference then that. The 330 of course is the later evolution and it used different case as well as antivibe stuff etc.

Knowing you, you would like the 330 better.

just got in a lil while ago had a big oak to do.. hired me a young guy to climb for me guess im gettin old.... it was more time then i wanted to spend in the tree ... anyhow broke out my husqvarna 51 and an hour into cutting the clutch locked up i always have a back up to every saw LOL. set her down broke out my mint poulan 295 pro and cut with her all dam day not a bad saw at all it was as fast as the husky well real close but i think i will down size the bar and it will rip... very light comfy saw to use i have to say the 20 inch bar waS NICE not to have to bend over as the sun went down LOL....

I got to run MoparMikes 295 yesterday and it was very strong,. Loud too. :dizzy:

I have to admit...

I got to run MoparMikes 295 yesterday and it was very strong,. Loud too. :dizzy:

i have to admit i was tring to be all brand name that husky locked up i was like i dont have time to deal with this that poulan saved the day man i cut all day with it for limbing i like that 20 inch bar and chain but it would really cut 12 inch logs better with a 16.......im dissappointed with my husky but very happy with that poulan pro 295 first time i cut with it on a long job i even hit the dirt one time customer was trying to talk to me while i was cutting ... trying to show me how big he wanted the logs he would keep... LMAO!!! i was like brother get back!!!!!

Well dang, I'll have to look at mine again. I just can't seem to get it to run well, not sure why not either. Last time I tried it it half melted the clutch cover so I stuck it back under the bench to try something else.

shrugs?

Well dang, I'll have to look at mine again. I just can't seem to get it to run well, not sure why not either. Last time I tried it it half melted the clutch cover so I stuck it back under the bench to try something else.

is the clutch slipping?

John, theres actually more difference then that. The 330 of course is the later evolution and it used different case as well as antivibe stuff etc.

Knowing you, you would like the 330 better.

I just picked up another 330 (3rd one I've had but it's been a while) and was wondering what the difference was going to be between it and the craftsman 3.3 that I got for free:rock: that is waiting on a muffler. You've pretty much summed it up for me again Mark.

Latest posts

Back