Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I used today as a snow day for work. Didn't feel like making the drive in. So, the mail man showed up early today and I had a present from Mark in it. Thank you again for it. So I put the H screw in, pulled the puppy a few times and WOW it runs. Now I'm waiting for a few more parts from the bay. Can't wait to put this 3400 in some wood.

Yep, like Mike says, your good to go with either. I think the flat one was used on later models. You will have it in just a couple of days, that seller is very good. He told me he is thinking of starting a ebay store soon. That will make it easier to check what he has that way.

Glad you got the needle, I was kinda worried about the post office bending it or something. You know how they are. :dizzy:

Yep, like Mike says, your good to go with either. I think the flat one was used on later models.

I used to think that too but it doesn't seem to be the case.
I bought mine in '79 or '80 and it had the flat knob.
My buddy in Michigan bought his in the later 80s and it has the round.
I think it was a "which supplier is cheaper this month" deal, about like the "thick rings/thin rings" thing.

The more I study these old saws the more of a mystery they become.

Mike

I think it was a "which supplier is cheaper this month" deal, about like the "thick rings/thin rings" thing.

Mike

I allways thought the same thing also, guess that shoots to heck one of my old Poulan wisdoms..LOL
I bought mine in 1985-86, has the round choke knob, hex shaped spacer on rear handle, with large screws, and thick rings..:) Oh, and hand guard on the handle..

:cheers:
Gregg,

Last edited:

Mike

Well I said "I think" :)

You ever seen a 4000 with the round one? I have not.

Not that I can remember.
I've seen both styles on the 3700s and 3400s.
There weren't that many 4000s around here though.

I know I sure wanted one some kinda bad for a long time!

Mike

This is what it's like working on old Mustangs. No hard and fast rules about what you might find on some of them. Seems like they used what they had on the shelf a lot of the time. I kinda feel at home working on old Poulans. :)

I don't think that many ever came with the adj oilers, I have only seen one that I can remember and that was when it was new. I'm betting that it was only on a 3400 also.

Scott, that 3400 should be happy with a 18" bar. They do fine with a 20 but remember its only a 55cc saw.

Anyone have any of the rare 3400-4000s with adjustable oilers? Was told that some early models had them.

Not seen one yet Joe, but, they do have the manual oiler! and I find that extremely usefull when cutting big wood with them. Can add a little extra while cutting, guess that is about the same thing..LOL

The Super 380 I got running recently has an adjustable oiler. But, that is a much newer design. But then, they don't have a manual oiler either. So it looks like ya get one, or the other.

Gregg,

Didn't know they came with adjustable oiler??? I'll check mine out this weekend.

BTW what size bar works the best for these 3400? 18-20"

Scott, Like Mark said, 18" seems to be just right on the 3400. Thats what mine had when new, used it a long time that way. Switched to 20" for a number of years and thought it was OK. Just can't horse it.

But, when I got a 3700 with a 20" bar, there is a noticable difference in power.

This is just my opinion and experiance, and opinions can certainly vary.

3400 - 16-18"
3700 - 18-20"
4000 - 20-24"

Gregg,

I think it was the 3400 that I heard about with the adj. Oiler, but never seen one either. Like others said they all had a manual oiler so in a way, you canadjust it by heavy oiling if you need it. The bars I have on my 3400-4000, are on the short side. My Dayton 3.4, 3400 and 4000 have 16" bars. My 3.7 craftsman has the orig 18". All these really whip with those set ups, especially the 3.7 and 4000. I'd agree with Gregg about the bar lengths. I'd like to have an 18"-20" on the 4000.

Last edited:
I will send <a href="http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=125271"> this guy</a> a link to this thread, but feel free to respond in his thread. :D

Dug this sucker out today, my old 6000. Picked it up from MOE last year, never did much with it other than admire it. For those that own these, parts are difficult to impossible to find. I did, however, manage to snag a 3/8 x 8 tooth sprocket off Ebay...for $1. FWIW, the Herr part# is H361 A8. There was, I think, a Poulan part# written on the box. I'll get that later.

Anyway, pulled it out today, slapped on a Stihl 32" rollernose, fueled it up, and adjusted the carby. My 6000 is based on the Dolmar 152, not the 153.

Oh well. Here's a few pictures, before I dirtied it up cutting.

Chris B.

poulan6000_1.jpg

poulan6000_3.jpg

poulan6000_2.jpg

Gee, Chris you been holding out on me, I don't remember you saying you had one of my grail saws!

Nice looking one. I almost snagged one like it a couple years ago.

What shift you working? I'm still off so give me a call so I can come over and drool on it. I'll bring my 71-A over for you to try. I think you would like it.

:clap:

Back