Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rik, that 53A is a smaller displacement brother to the 71A and yes that handle will fit perfectly.

AFAIK the P/C is the only difference between them.

Thats what I was hoping to hear. Next thing is to get the starter to catch and I think it did not have any spark.

Piston looked real good so should be an easy fix.

thanks

Thats what I was hoping to hear. Next thing is to get the starter to catch and I think it did not have any spark.

Piston looked real good so should be an easy fix.

thanks

Typical F/M starter on those, I'm sure your up on fixing those. If you have not pulled the flywheel on those, you have to use a hammer to remove it, no puller holes or anything. Just dont use a steel hammer.

Jeremey that 4000 is very nice - have you ever put the foredom to one of the bigger countervibes? I am thinking the 4900 could be turned into a killer saw.

Visited a great old guy who used to sell Pioneer saws back in the day. Local memeber Scallywag is a friend of his and gave me the heads up. (Got some 090 stuff heading your way, Phil.)
In the eighties he also sold other saws including Poulan and Partners. He kind of doesn't need money and loves his stuff. Took me a couple of hours on my second trip to break the ice but he started to sell me a few things. Lots of German stuff (which he hates too) and a bit of green stuff. I love the Poulan sign he let me have, though he wouldn't sell the stand it was on and the Partner shop manual is a beauty. The old Pioneer and Poulan manuals he won't part with - likewise a bunch of old NOS parts. I got three 3600's in pieces and I think with one or two pistons I can rebuild them. Looking forward to trying a 3600 in our wood.
As I left he said he a had a big green saw up in the loft somwheres. Looks like I am going back soon.

DSC00443_zpsc3054386.jpg

DSC00442_zps7d23aeaf.jpg

Visited a great old guy who used to sell Pioneer saws back in the day. Local memeber Scallywag is a friend of his and gave me the heads up. (Got some 090 stuff heading your way, Phil.)
In the eighties he also sold other saws including Poulan and Partners. He kind of doesn't need money and loves his stuff. Took me a couple of hours on my second trip to break the ice but he started to sell me a few things. Lots of German stuff (which he hates too) and a bit of green stuff. I love the Poulan sign he let me have, though he wouldn't sell the stand it was on and the Partner shop manual is a beauty. The old Pioneer and Poulan manuals he won't part with - likewise a bunch of old NOS parts. I got three 3600's in pieces and I think with one or two pistons I can rebuild them. Looking forward to trying a 3600 in our wood.
As I left he said he a had a big green saw up in the loft somwheres. Looks like I am going back soon.

DSC00443_zpsc3054386.jpg

DSC00442_zps7d23aeaf.jpg

Great score right there. Definitely worth your time!

Sup guys.

My FIL needs a bar and chain for his 1965 Craftsman 3.7.

Dunno where to look other than asking about it in this thread. He said he also needs a new (solid state?) ignition.

Would this saw be a Poulan...? I'm not at his house, so if you guys need pics it'll be a day or two before I can get them.

Just figured that maybe someone might know a thing or two without a photo....

Sup guys.

Dunno where to look other than asking about it in this thread. He said he also needs a new (solid state?) ignition.

Would this saw be a Poulan...? I'm not at his house, so if you guys need pics it'll be a day or two before I can get them.

Pretty sure 1965 would not be a Poulan....could be Roper or maybe something else

Would this saw be a Poulan...?

As Randy said, this is most likely a Roper-made Craftsman, but would not be a Poulan. Most likely needs a K095 bar mount which is small Husky. Best thing to do is get the model # off the saw which will appear in the form 316.xxxxxx and look on the Selector Guide for bars and chains on Oregon's site. Pull up "Sears" and then look for the model #. Click on "Parts" and a list will appear showing the proper bar model #'s.

Last edited:
Sup guys.

I have a parts saw of that variety. Want me to check the bar out for you? I know I got one with it.

He aint the only one to notice that one! :rock:

Was it a requirement on that haul to have to take the Stihls along?

Mark, I feel kinda dirty to admit it but the Stihls are what fund my shabby green obsession. And the 1020 is missing a starter cover so I think I'll sell it for scrap.:msp_wink:

Latest posts

Back