Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Mark and others I am about to put it in some wood and fill the oiler so I will check to see if all is working. Its threads like this and helpful folks around that make AS such a wonderfull resorce. Will pm my email to you Mark and report back after some run time. The spitback is coming from main fuel oriface and everything appears normal with the carb, its just that you need to remove air filter shroud to access H & L needles to tune and it spits fuel onto your hand and around the saw however with the cover on it's not such an issue. I have a mityvac 8500 but am not tyat experienced using it yet. Thanks again a bunch!! Colin

Well, I think I have moved on to stage II of CAD and have no idea what I'm getting myself into... Going to see if I can mess up the 3300 that I just put together. Made a degree wheel and piston stop this eve and got the saw zeroed. I guess a little more research and on to measurements within the next few days.
DSCN0681.JPG

Camp is about 2000 ft higher in elevation than home. I set my saws just on the edge of 4 stroking and it seams that when I go to camp I have to lean up the high about a 1/16 - 1/8 turn. Is it in my head or do you think that 2000 ft can make that much difference?

Absolutely it can.
Once I learned how my saws are supposed to sound I realized I almost always need to retune once I get into the woods. I'm at 2500' at home, normally cutting at 4000+'.
I usually run my saws on the fat side of tune anyway. Never had a lean failure.... Yet anyway.
Temperature difference can compound the issue too.

I have to re-tune every time. Home is 1100ft and I always cut at 5000+. A noticeable difference. All of my saws are pigging out on the factory (or slightly leaner) settings from home when I move up to that elevation it seems. I have to further lean them to get the performance. High and low pressure systems, the associated humidity and the hot summers/cold winters all play with the absolute concentration of oxygen. I don't know how the new carb technology works, but I would be curious how/if they are able to accommodate for those changes in real time.

Sometimes I will forget to re-tune them when I get back to town. I can tell right away. Tougher to start, hesitant throttle and they scream a bit too much for my comfort.

Hey guys! Anyone know much about the little poulan micro xxv deluxe? I have got one I found at my local tip, its really quite clean an has not seem a lot of use, its the no AV model serial no:30411061. It has a walbro WA-19 series carb. I replaced fuel line as well. My question is it spits quite a bit of fuel out the carb under operation is this normal? I have cleaned and semi rebuilt the carb with leftover parts from a k-10 kit. It also seem quite rich and hard to tune the low speed so it spools up without hesitation and sits back down to a nice idle. I have it pretty good but its not perfect. It also seems to have a system similar to 'air injection' where the filter is in front of the carb, not on top or behind the venturi. I have no experience with this model saw or Poulan's in general so any advice would be appreciated. I really like this saw and the build quality for its age, I hope to get some bigger countervibes some day as I am impressed with these quality USA green saws. Thanks in advance for any advice.
May also want to check the feed valve and make sure its dealing off properly also, when I got my old red craftsman running again it would soak your hand. Pulled top handle off and found Reed valve had a peace of trash holding it open some, removed and clean and walla, slight mist. :)

Steve

My 6900, I dug it out for a few pics. Need new decals though

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
36c48d25b832f8d6ce6858c66340027f.jpg
I really like your 6900. For being a logging company veteran it's in very good shape. Plastics look awesome. When I received my 8500 the previous owner(s) had taken a file and cut additional slits for increased air flow. I found a NOS replacement but still have the original to the saw piece. the original handle on mine was soft and foam like. I replaced it with a full wrap. Nice saw!

Has anyone noticed the difference in Poulan 25 series drums? I have 19779 rim drums that are 1" wide and the same number that are .9" wide. Did they change clutch widths at some time? The oldest boxes are the widest drums. A couple are set up with 3/8LP-7 rims and most have 1/4-9 rims. One box is labeled 23115 / 19779.

I really like your 6900. For being a logging company veteran it's in very good shape. Plastics look awesome. When I received my 8500 the previous owner(s) had taken a file and cut additional slits for increased air flow. I found a NOS replacement but still have the original to the saw piece. the original handle on mine was soft and foam like. I replaced it with a full wrap. Nice saw!
This 6900 was a non runner when I acquired it. It was a bear up mess. Stripped out plug threads is what grounded it. She is a runner now.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

May also want to check the feed valve and make sure its dealing off properly also, when I got my old red craftsman running again it would soak your hand. Pulled top handle off and found Reed valve had a peace of trash holding it open some, removed and clean and walla, slight mist. :)

Steve
Mine had a small piece of sawdust wedged in the corner of the reed to, holding it open a few thou or a little more. Def a spitter. Fixed that, and like Steve said, good to go...

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Hi all, been lurking quite a while trying to absorb all the good information available on this forum. Was cutting a bit of wood today and decided to take a few pics and a video of a craftsman 3.7 thin ring that I picked up from craigs list a month ago for $25 dollars and am impressed with it's performance after a carb rebuild and muffler mod.

DSCN2559.JPG DSCN2563.JPG DSCN2560.JPG DSCN2562.JPG

Looks like a strong runner. I haven't seen those Craftsman versions in these parts. Canadian Tire must have had the market cornered a bit as Sears did not have many department stores competing with CTC regionally.

Idling high out of the cut causing the chain to keep racing? Hopefully just an idle screw adjustment.

Hi all, been lurking quite a while trying to absorb all the good information available on this forum. Was cutting a bit of wood today and decided to take a few pics and a video of a craftsman 3.7 thin ring that I picked up from craigs list a month ago for $25 dollars and am impressed with it's performance after a carb rebuild and muffler mod.

View attachment 483665 View attachment 483668 View attachment 483666 View attachment 483667

Nice!!! That saw was sitting on craigs for quite a while. I'm glad a fellow AS'er was able to grab it.

You got that right:yes:, and it only gets worse.

Or after a good all night crockpot of ham & pinto beans, that puts everyone to shame. At least it's a level playing field within the house after that!
Has anyone noticed the difference in Poulan 25 series drums? I have 19779 rim drums that are 1" wide and the same number that are .9" wide. Did they change clutch widths at some time? The oldest boxes are the widest drums. A couple are set up with 3/8LP-7 rims and most have 1/4-9 rims. One box is labeled 23115 / 19779.

Yep, you have to have that blackened hard washer in the 19779 Oregon kit.

All, I recently went through a friend of mine's Father's Poulan 3700 bow saw to get it running again. The piston and cylinder looked good/very good but the saw had a broken handle and was missing parts galore. I used a couple of parts saws to complete it and gave it back to him to give to his Dad. His Dad didn't get a chance to pull it over as my friend used it to try and down a tree that was already partially down and leaning badly. He got it pinched and left it there overnight. The thing is I had let him borrow a Craftsman 3700 with a 20 or 24 in bar (off of a 4000) to assist with his needs. The following pics are of the saw post loss. Not too good. The Poulan bow bar was SUPER nice before it was wrecked, as it hadn't ben used too much in the past
I imagine its broken up to an extent and I wonder if the case is ruined at the bar bolt area. Well, we'll see. Be careful out there. Max.

Wrecked Poulan 3700 Bow Saw 1.jpg Wrecked Poulan 3700 Bow Saw 1.jpg Wrecked Poulan 3700 Bow Saw 2.jpg

Back