No BS assesment is a MS362 any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've owned and operated for at least 700 hours my MS 361. It's still a a fabulous chainsaw. I replaced the fuel filter (pickup body) once and have gone through six chains and one bar since 2008. That's it for repairs. All other parts are original. I have no complaints. Pics of this saw today are available upon request.

Seems like these auto tune saws need to be set on the lean side to pass EPA regulations. This logger owned a 361 before the 362 which he liked . Steve
They are certainly on the lean side of so-rich-it-is-misfiring. Which is to say they constantly adjust to maintain a correct fuel air ratio over varying rpm, temperature, air pressure, etc. The EPA is just happy they're not puking raw fuel out the exhaust like a conventional carb does.

A conventional carb is only capable of delivering a correct fuel air ratio at the one rpm you set it too. If you drop the rpm from there (increased loading) the mixture gets slightly leaner, and if you raise the rpm from that point it gets a lot richer.

OK, thanks for all the advise guys. Long story, but the short version is I didn't trade for the MS362. It had a few problems and was NOT Mtronic. So I decided to hold out for more CC's in hopes of running the 28" bar with some power.

I am now looking for a 044 or MS440 or something like that. I do have a Jonsered CS2255 with a 20 bar and chain for sale or up for trade.

I seen a Husky 395XP for $699.00 at a pawn shop. They are very firm on price and don't want to give much for the Jonsered. So I'm still looking.

OK, thanks for all the advise guys. Long story, but the short version is I didn't trade for the MS362. It had a few problems and was NOT Mtronic. So I decided to hold out for more CC's in hopes of running the 28" bar with some power.

I am now looking for a 044 or MS440 or something like that. I do have a Jonsered CS2255 with a 20 bar and chain for sale or up for trade.

I seen a Husky 395XP for $699.00 at a pawn shop. They are very firm on price and don't want to give much for the Jonsered. So I'm still looking.
If you considering a 044 might as well get the 046 460.

Any of those would be great. Seems I've seen a lot more of the 044, 440 or 441 number out there. Just looking for a good deal!
44 is still a good saw for almost the same size saw I'd go with a 460 cause of the torque to pull longer bars. But I'm sure a big bar and skip chain will be ok on a budget

Ok time for an update.

Got ahold of a MS441C, what a saw! Sold the Jonsered CS2255 to a friend of the family (biggest, most powerful saw he ever owned), he has only ever owned Wal-Mart Poulans. You guys were right, this is an amazing saw! Now I have to decide what of the other saws I want to get rid of. I think I still want to get ahold of a small pro saw. Any Suggestions?

Well I got to test the new saw (new to me MS441C) out pretty good last night. It exceeded expectations! I cut 26" oak and 24" ash and it was no match for this saw. Cross cut or noodling.

However I did notice the extra weight. So I will be in the market for a lighter saw to run a 20" bar with. I think I will keep the MS180 for small limbs, that little saw is so light and quick and I have had zero problems with it.

I think I want to replace the MS290 and 039 with either a MS261 or a MS362 for 20" duties.

Other than the weight, I have zero complaints! I'm glad I waited.

Well the deal is I'm trading a perfect Jonsered CS2255 and some cash for a very good condition MS362. I thought the MS362 would be a lot more power than any of my current tools. Then I started reading up about the many problems and air leaks, so maybe I will not want the MS362.

That's why I'm looking for some No BS assessments.
Run it and see for your self , bring yours along to compare.

Well I got to test the new saw (new to me MS441C) out pretty good last night. It exceeded expectations! I cut 26" oak and 24" ash and it was no match for this saw. Cross cut or noodling.

However I did notice the extra weight. So I will be in the market for a lighter saw to run a 20" bar with. I think I will keep the MS180 for small limbs, that little saw is so light and quick and I have had zero problems with it.

I think I want to replace the MS290 and 039 with either a MS261 or a MS362 for 20" duties.

Other than the weight, I have zero complaints! I'm glad I waited.

Look at it this way. If you need a saw smaller than the 441, the 362 isn't that much smaller. The 261 is quite a bit smaller and less powerful. I think a 20" bar would be a stretch for it. (I run a 16" on mine and a 20" on my 362) The 261 will fill the gap between your 180 and 441, but if you have big enough wood to really need the 20", I'd go with the 362. I've been happy with my Wife's 241, but I wouldn't trade it for my 261, which she uses a good amount, too. The saw I have that I wish I had purchased before I got the 261 is my 271. It's one of my all time favorite saws. It's not M-tronic, so was considerably less expensive than the 261, but I think it outperforms the 261. YMMV.

Look at it this way. If you need a saw smaller than the 441, the 362 isn't that much smaller. The 261 is quite a bit smaller and less powerful. I think a 20" bar would be a stretch for it. (I run a 16" on mine and a 20" on my 362) The 261 will fill the gap between your 180 and 441, but if you have big enough wood to really need the 20", I'd go with the 362. I've been happy with my Wife's 241, but I wouldn't trade it for my 261, which she uses a good amount, too. The saw I have that I wish I had purchased before I got the 261 is my 271. It's one of my all time favorite saws. It's not M-tronic, so was considerably less expensive than the 261, but I think it outperforms the 261. YMMV.

If your 271 is smackin your 261 around you have something wrong buddy.

I haven't even run it yet, but I just got an MS260 in the mail, and I can already tell that it's an awesome saw. Super light, to me anyways, and I bet it would be a great companion saw to your 441. Which is the next saw on the buy list, by the way :). This CAD stuff is rough going.

Latest posts

Back