No clutch-side crank seal on HVA 246 / 42 / 242XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcfrance

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have taken the chain-oil pump off my 246 (to try to fix a slow oil leak) and am surprised to find no crank seal, nor any obvious place for one. The part list I have shows a seal (ref. 501 61 49-01) on the clutch end of the crankshaft. On the crankshaft I see only the clutch-side bearing (open on the inside, sealed on the outside); the oil pump with its plastic screw (driven by the clutch) fits against the bearing. My question: is this normal for the 246 (and for the 42 / 242XP, which should be identical)? I wouldn't have thought that the bearing alone would provide an adequate seal, and why would a seal be shown in the part list? I also have a general HVA shop manual which gives clutch-side seal installation instructions for other models, but nothing for 42/242/246. Thanks in advance for any information!

Thank you for the info! I guess the seal shown in the IPL goes into the bearing? It looked like a standard bearing to me... And I suppose the metal-on-metal bearing-to-shaft contact makes a good enough air seal?
I certainly do appreciate those who contribute to this site, which I've been visiting for some time now!

Yes,the seal goes inside the bearing.The seal is thin compared to the one we are used to.There is a small groove inside the bearing to hold it.Bearing to crank clearance is tight enough to hold air inside.

That is a special bearing in that the ball race is offset from the center to provide space for the seal and being that special, there is no generic replacement that I am aware of. It's used on all the saws in that family (238, 242, 246, 42). Fortunately the seal you need is readily available and easy to install.

The other (flywheel) side bearing has a different part number, and further down in the IPL in the crankcase assembly there appears to be a separate seal not directly associated with the bearing.

And in the HVA Workshop Manual (ref. 101 88 55-26, p. 124) there are indications for installing a seal on the starter/flywheel side for 42/242/246 (whereas no indication for the clutch side).

Sorry for bump up but in Poland no longer exist bearing from clutch side, anyone maybe know were I can buy it or which bearing i can replace it?

Sorry for bump up but in Poland no longer exist bearing from clutch side, anyone maybe know were I can buy it or which bearing i can replace it?
You might try http://www.smaf-touseau.com/ , a site in France which stocks the bearing for the 246 (type the part number in the search window to see price). You can call them (I don't know if they speak English) to ask if they will ship to Poland.

Latest posts

Back