No Fire Here Yet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The windows are still open...
Lookin' for mid-to-upper 80's by weeks' end...
Dry as a popcorn-fart...
"They're" sayin' 20-30 MPH winds for the next couple days to dry things out even more...

I've got the wood furnace installed and there ain't even a chance for a test-fire in the 10-day forecast... likely even longer than that :msp_angry:

Well, I am glad we have a cooling off period here in East Texas. It has been a very hot summer. Now we have 60's in the morning and low 90's for the next few days then high 80's. I have been getting my firewood ready. First fire is still some time in the future for me.

Highs in the 60s-70s, lows in the 40s-50s. I should be loving this very pleasant weather, but I am dying to get my fire going!

I'm doing a fire pit tonight just to hold me over...

Just have to dust the stove and I'll be ready to burn...but for now I just use an electric milk-house heater in my home office to take the morning chill out.

I usually go through this for a couple weeks every fall that lighting even one small fire would drive me out of the house in short order.

Of course, there was the year I turned off the A/C when I woke up in the morning and had lit a fire by bedtime!

Plus side for you WS is your wood should be good and seasoned this year. Mine on the other hand, not so much with all the rain we have had. I am lucky I was a few years ahead on my wood otherwise I would be burning 1 year old "green" like most will here in Maine. I can't fathom the guys who are just now cutting to burn this year especially with all the rain we have had.

Saturday it was 39 at 5am. We had a hard frost on Sunday morning.

Sunday afternoon I got to go swimming to get the kid's water trampoline out for the season. Man was that cold.

-3c here this morning.. i have the infloor heat going (yes sorry its on a boiler (nat gas)) in the basement going.. nothing more..

Forecast of snow for me tonight, had a few mornings in the mid 20's last week.
You can bet I've got the chimley smokin.

I've got the wood furnace installed and there ain't even a chance for a test-fire in the 10-day forecast... likely even longer than that :msp_angry:[/QUOTE]

with all the windows open,,fire it!! doesn't need to be a huge one,,just a few small 2x's or so,,to see if any chinney leaks,,and if it all functions...esp if you do it later this eve,,as it cools quite a bit by then...

Highs in the 50's and 60's, lows in the 30's and 40's for many days straight. House is in mid 60's to low 60's. Doing all I can not to lite a fire. Wife wants to, but I just can't do it in September.

I had a fire in the hole Monday. Not for heat but to try out one of those creosote sticks from F&F. No matter how hard I try to keep my OWB free of creosote after cleaning it in the summer I always have a very thin layer of it that is just rock hard and will not come off. Wasn't out much to try one of these sticks and having to run a test fire to be sure all systems are go anyway, thought I would give it a try. What I found was it did not just turn it to powder like it said it would, but I was able to remove all of it very easy with a putty knife. So now here I sit with a clean bare metal OWB with no cold weather forecasted in the near future. Last year Sept 5th I believe was the first one for me so I will see how this year goes.

My wife has been bugging me pretty much every night about starting a fire. She's just getting antsy to feel the warmth and see the light of the fire flickering against the kitchen walls. I had a couple broken ribs and I just now felt good enough to get up on the roof and check the chimney a couple days ago. It was clean enough to not have to run a brush through. It's stainless steel and has a real good draft. I built a small fire in it a couple days ago to season it for the year. It's a soapstone stove. Some nights have been in the 30's, but they say it's gonna be warmer for the next few days, so maybe next week. We have to get started moving wood into my old barn for the winter. It's a lot of extra work, but it sure beats digging wood out of the snow.

S.E. Wisconsin and have not had to turn on the furnace or make a fire. I don't think I need one till Oct. 1 at least and that would be the latest my wife has not needed heat. I would be happy with this weather till Nov. 45* this morning 72 todays high.

I popped ours off last night, mainly to test the ToH and pine to see how that was going to burn, everything seemed good...it was almost too warm for it to draft properly. My junk wood burnt pretty good...

Its supposed to get into the 40s tonight, I might start it again.

Latest posts

Back