No good deed goes unpunished.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottom line...Be a good judge of character, study the situation, and then make a rational decision. Other alternative...get screwed. Too many druggies and crooks out here now to make hasty decisions regarding someone's "situation".

Last winter, I stopped to help a guy stuck in the snow during a rather bad snow storm. I tried to pull him out, but couldn't, and almost needed a tow myself. He had a tow on the way, but had given them the wrong location. He didn't realize quite where he was. He thanked me for stopping, and I told him no problem, and that I hope someone would someone would stop if I ever needed help.

Wouldn't you know, on the way back from work that same day. The back end of my truck kicked out going up a hill, and I ended up on the other side of the road in the snowbank.
As I was working on digging myself out, 4 guys in two separate trucks stopped to help me get out.

Good deeds do come around eventually. :laugh:

Last edited:
Well, here is a story about helping someone, and things went right for a change.

Many moons ago, when I was sixteen, I had been out hunting in the Gifford Pinchot Forest, located about 40 miles north of my hometown of BattleGround Wa. It was a rainy old day, typical of the weather in Washington, and I was looking forward to a nice hot shower and some dry clothes.

As I came around a bend in the rural road, up on the hill above the road was a gravel road that curled its way down to the main road, and as I lazily scanned the scenery, I noticed a grey car up on the road, listing at a strange angle. I thought it was odd, the angle of the car, where it was at, and above all, the strange luxury vehicle where only a truck should be. I decided to swing around and check it out.

As I approached the vehicle, I noticed a middle aged woman behind the wheel, staring out the windshield with what appeared to be a look of fear on her face. I got out of the truck, and making my way to the drivers door, I noted that the large luxury vehicle had slipped off the road into the ditch, more or less pinning the drivers door shut against the hill side. Seeing that there was no way of opening the door, I went back around to the passengers side where the lady popped open the door to talk to me.

She had been crying, that was plain to see. Makeup ran down her face, and if it had been any darker out there I am sure the sight might have made my whiskers wiggle at the notion that perhaps I had run across one of them female forest trolls that my grandpa had always warned me about. But after realizing that indeed she didnt have any fangs showing, and that it appeared to just be makeup, I got close enough to talk.

With a shaky voice, she explained that she had been up the gravel road early in the morning before the rain started to look at some property that her and her husband had planned on buying and developing, and that on the way down the rain had started and the road got slippery. Just as she thought she was going to make it down the hill okay, her car slipped and into the ditch she went.

After looking at the car, I realized that if I tried to pull the thing out of the ditch from the downhill side, it would do nothing more than slide down the ditch, and ten feet from the car the ditch got deep enough that most likely the car would roll over on its side. The only other option would be to pull the vehicle back out the way it came, and there was no way I was going to squeeze past her with my truck. There was barely five feet from the passenger door to the edge of the road. I told her that she would have to ride with me to the nearest town of Cougar, and from there we could get a tow truck that could lift her car as well as pull to get it out of the ditch. She agreed, reached for her briefcase, and carefully crawled out the passenger door.

Promptly her high heel shoes sunk in the mud, and with a quiet groan to myself I got down on my knees and removed her shoes and offered to carry her, although in retrospect she probably weighed more than I did. With a giggle, she said she would walk to the truck barefooted seeing as how her clothes were ruined already with the steady downpour. Just as we started to make our way to the truck, with a squeal her bare feet went out from under her, and she hit the ground, close enough to the edge to make me catch my breath.

She moved fast, I will give her that. On all fours she scurried to her car, flung the door open, and jumped into the safety of her car. She assured me at that point that she was not getting out of that car for love or money. I then told her that it was time to call a pro, and told her I would go into town and call a wrecker. Slogging my way back to my truck, I grabbed my lunchbox and thermos, handed them to her, and told her I would be back in an hour. As I drove away, I quietly thought, "wow, is she ever going to be surprised at what is in my lunchbox. Venison steak sandwich, some Cheetos that had seen better days, chocolate covered raisins, (I always ate them when deer hunting for luck, its a long story) and a thermos of hot chocolate. I dont and never have drank coffee.Another long story.

I made it into town, stopped at the little store, and tried calling for help. Cougar was a one horse town out in the middle of nowhere, and nobody from BattleGround was willing to come that far on the twisting turning back roads.Back to the woman I went.

I explained the situation, and again tried to get her to get out of the car, but she wasnt budging. I explained until my fingernails fell off that she was in no danger of falling off the hill if she stayed close to the car, but she refused. Then I had an idea. I told her that the road that she was on went on over the hill and rejoined a different county road, and that with some luck I could go around the hill on the paved road, and come down to her from the top, and with the winch I should be able to pull her back on the road, but it was going to take some time.She agreed, and off I went.

It took me an hour and half to get around the hill and back down to where she was, and another thirty minutes to pull her out of the ditch, but finally we made to the bottom of the hill where she stopped her car and was obviously waiting for me to come to her car. Seeing as how I couldn't get any wetter, I swam my way down to her car and she motioned for me to get in the passenger side.

It sure was a nice car, nicer than anything I have ever been in, but then again I reckon I was rather biased. The nicest car I had ever been was an ambulance, so I reckon any wealthy persons car would look nice to me. I felt bad about my wet and muddy clothes, but she assured me that she had already soiled the interior up enough she would probably be forced to buy a new car. I agreed, I always tossed my truck once it got dirty. At least when I was dreaming about hitting the big time after winning the lottery.

At any rate, she said she wanted to pay me for my time and trouble, and after pulling out her wallet, she tried to hand me a hundred dollar bill, and I was floored. I had never seen a hundred dollar bill before, at least not a real one. Anything bigger than a 20 was beyond my scope, and I always figured who ever invented the game of Monopoly sure was making up some #### when he included a $500 bill.

I held that bill in my hands a good while.I smelled it,it smelled real. Even with her perfume on it, it smelled real. I began to think about all the neat stuff I could buy with that thing. Hell, I could probably flash that thing on Monday at school and finally convince Laura,my secret high school crush, that she ought to go out with me instead of laughing and tossing french fries at me. I would be a big man! But then I remembered what my grandfather and my mother had taught me. Never take payment for helping someone out. It aint right. With a sigh, I handed it back, told her I enjoyed holding that money and sitting in her fancy car, but I dont accept money for helping out. Especially a fortune like that.

With a laugh, she said, "Honey, I spend more than that at a beauty salon" and I said yes maam, I reckon you do cause you are very pretty, but I was taught never to take money for helping out someone. She looked at me for awhile, the startled me with, "you have no idea who I am, do you?"

I had no idea, and told her so. With a laugh, she said, "honey, dont you read the newspaper, or watch TV?"
Nope.Dont have time to read the paper, and we dont own a TV.

She sat for awhile, then said she would like to at least send me a proper thank you card, and asked for my address. I wrote it down for her, picked up my lunchbox and thermos, and told her to have a nice day that I had better be headed home for evening chores. She kissed me on the forehead, and thanked me again for the help.

Months later, Christmas rolled around, and my mother told me that I had gotten a letter in the mail. For me, this was unusual. I didn't get mail. Who in the hell gets mail when you are sixteen? I never did. But there on the kitchen table was a nice little envelope with my name on it. It had no return address, and smelled like a girl. As I sniffed it, my mom smiled and asked me who she was. I had no idea, so I tore open the envelope and inside was a card.

Opening it, I found two $100 bills inside, with a note. It said, "Thank you for the wonderful lunch. I haven't had Cheetos since I was a teenager, and they were very good."

To this day, I have no idea who she was, but every year until I turned 25 those cards showed up, promptly two weeks before Christmas. And I spent every dime of that money buying Christmas presents for my mother and my grandfather until he passed away when I was 20. Figured that was the only way to spend that money.

so who was the woman? oprah?

I have one to add but its a little different tale than most.Over the years i have helped a few folks out and never asked anything in return.I've had people straight out lie just to get something for nothing,but like most I'm gulliable and if possible will try to help a person out.
Well I got my return this past saturday.A friend of mine asked if I could take my truck and go with him to gatlinburg Tn and bring his camper home.I agreed so off we go.

In morristown Tn my truck had an belt idler pulley lock up and break off so there I sit in the parking lot of a cherokee lake boat ramp with a broken truck.I'm mad at myself because I never had as much as a screw driver in the truck to work with.
While mulling over my dilema this gentleman pulls up and ask if I have toubles. I explain my situation and he tells me no problem,the guy basically loans me enough tools to fix my truck and takes me to an autoparts store where I can get my needed parts and then takes me back to my truck.He then Absoultely refused to let me pay him for his time .
This mans help saved me a bundle because I was getting ready to call a rollback and have my truck hauled home where I could repair it.So if someone does screw you over dont let that stop you from helping someone out,because you may never know when you are the one who needs help.

You ever get in a jamb again like that in Morristown, give me a shout. Chances are when you broke down, I was less than a quarter of a mile away from you working at the church! Sad that I had no idea you were up a creek without a paddle and being that close!!

Great story as always Av. So - did you ever figure out who she was?

Shari

I have no idea who she was, and I spent some time after the first card showed up that first year trying to figure it out too. I payed a visit to my uncle who is the local clearing house of information, and related the story to him. He reads every newspaper in the area as well as the New York Times, Wall street journal, and watches hours of TV news every day. I described the woman to him, and he had no idea.

Years later I was sitting around Dennys with a bunch of guys late at night telling lies and stretching the size of our latest catch at the local lake, and I related the story. One guy who I didnt know real well asked me to describe the property, and after I told him where it was, insisted that the woman had to been the wife of the then current Governor of Washington.

Later that week I stopped at our local library, and the librarian managed to find a picture of the Governor at that time with his family, and the woman pictured was not her. To this day, I have no idea who she was.

When I was in college in a small town in Iowa in the early 80's this story came out and it may just be an urban legend but I've always like it.

A guy had his car break down and got some help from a garage in town who got his car running and were OK with him sending him the money when he got home.

30 years later they got a letter in the mail apologizing for never thanking them properly and paying his bill but that he had set in some papers and had been put in a box ever since and he had just found it when he was sorting through his old things.

In the letter was a check for the bill and a lot of interest.

The man? Johnny Cash.

We have a very similar story or urban legend here in montana.

Little back ground story takes place in Big Sky Montana.
Big sky is a ski community for the uber rich with the yellowstone club providing outrageous
ammenities to those who can afford the million a year dues. Basically its aspen of montana.

Anyways one cold snowy day a man is pulled off the side of the road with a flat tire. (In montana no
car is overlooked when broken down in winter at minus 10-40 below you can die in short order.)

So a nice cowboy or construction worker pulls in to help this man. The man in the flat tire car says I haven't a clue how to change a tire and would gladly pay you anything to get me going again. The
cowboy isn't rude or laughing just says no problem ill get u going in a jiffy. so he changes the tire
gets the man on his way and offers to pay the cowboy. No sir I can't take your money for something so simple i'm sure glad I was able to help you out .

Ok well can i get your address.
Cowboy says ok but please don't gimme anything or ill send it back.

ok

so a month later the cowboy gets a call from a local car dealership.
Mr. cowboy we have your new (whatever year) truck detalied and ready for you to pickup.
Cowboy says what are you talking about i can't afford gas in the one i got how my gonna pay for
something i didn't even contact you about.

Dealership oh no worries its all licensed insured and completely paid for by a guy that claims you
helped him
Oh whose this guys says the cowboy.

I know ( draggin the story out)

MR. william gates. :msp_biggrin:

First and foremost. Avalancher sures does tell a good story.

Ok I am always one to help someone out. I am from a long line of "never met a stranger" type family.
I think the second GTG I hosted here an acquaintance of my wife and mine. had just lost her husband to a sudden heart attack. So I donated the wood and every one of the attendees cut and split and loaded it onto some of their trucks and some of mine. We took her several good loads of wood. She and her two daughters were there and it pretty much ended up with every one crying and hugging. It was a good day, every one felt good about what they had done.
Well the next year she was still struggling to run her late husbands business. So I offered to bring her more free wood. So same scenario GTG members cutting splitting and delivering. Well this time she was not home. So we stacked it where it went and left. I thanked everyone for doing this. looking back I was pissed the least she could have done was been there to say thanks..
A year later she had a storm blow through her property, had many popples blow down, ( gopher wood) she called and asked if I would come help a few men from her church cut her some wood. so I loaded up 3 saws and a bunch of sharp chains and a 2 gallons of mix and bar oil and away I went. I arrived and dropped the tailgate and the 2 guys were there walked over and made comments about my dolmars and the husky 346. I looked over their equipment. some type of mac saw with the dullest of dull chains.. and one guy had the ladies Stilh028. I fired up my 7900 and started bucking. I sat it down and one of the guys asked if he could run it I said heck yeah i will start splitting so me and another guy split and loaded while rick ran my saw. he soon ran her out of fuel and said "I have gas" I said please use only my fuel and oil in my saws. he was ok with that he must have ran 5 tanks of gas through that saw without hardly a break besides fueling her up. I think he was in love..LOL We hauled a few loads back to her house and left a big pile laying there for the "youth group" from church to haul for her. You know she never brought us a cookie or a drink one.Never offered lunch.. Folks I am over it.. I am done enabling her.. She posted facebook photos from Hawaii this spring. Broke as hell and traveling the world on credit cards I imagine.. Oh well she told me and the wife a few weeks ago she is going to file bankruptcy soon. Gets to keep the house and one car.
This is a woman that goes to church every Sunday and can not get it.. She is using people..
To the guys that helped both times, Thanks a million for what we tried to do,. Her young daughters surely appreciated it. At least they were warm.

Oh I have been to lazy, been fishing to much this year to cut fire wood.. My supply is really low. Super3 offered to come help me cut wood one weekend.. You have to love a guy like
Mike!

When I was visiting glacier ntl park, I heard the same story except Bill paid off the mortgage.
We have a very similar story or urban legend here in montana.

Little back ground story takes place in Big Sky Montana.
Big sky is a ski community for the uber rich with the yellowstone club providing outrageous
ammenities to those who can afford the million a year dues. Basically its aspen of montana.

Anyways one cold snowy day a man is pulled off the side of the road with a flat tire. (In montana no
car is overlooked when broken down in winter at minus 10-40 below you can die in short order.)

So a nice cowboy or construction worker pulls in to help this man. The man in the flat tire car says I haven't a clue how to change a tire and would gladly pay you anything to get me going again. The
cowboy isn't rude or laughing just says no problem ill get u going in a jiffy. so he changes the tire
gets the man on his way and offers to pay the cowboy. No sir I can't take your money for something so simple i'm sure glad I was able to help you out .

Ok well can i get your address.
Cowboy says ok but please don't gimme anything or ill send it back.

ok

so a month later the cowboy gets a call from a local car dealership.
Mr. cowboy we have your new (whatever year) truck detalied and ready for you to pickup.
Cowboy says what are you talking about i can't afford gas in the one i got how my gonna pay for
something i didn't even contact you about.

Dealership oh no worries its all licensed insured and completely paid for by a guy that claims you
helped him
Oh whose this guys says the cowboy.

I know ( draggin the story out)

MR. william gates. :msp_biggrin:

Do you believe it!?!?!?!?

After the cluster- Frick this turned out to be, would you believe the woman in question actually CALLED me to see if I would reconsider dropping off the wood(my number must have still been in her id). Before I could get my jaw back off the floor she said that no one has answered their ad and they're desperate for wood. I laughed like a fool into the phone until she hung up.
I'm still in disbelief that these ass-hats would even THINK about calling me back.

Dave

After the cluster- Frick this turned out to be, would you believe the woman in question actually CALLED me to see if I would reconsider dropping off the wood(my number must have still been in her id). Before I could get my jaw back off the floor she said that no one has answered their ad and they're desperate for wood. I laughed like a fool into the phone until she hung up.
I'm still in disbelief that these ass-hats would even THINK about calling me back.

Dave

Obviously, some people have no shame........and no clue whatsoever.

Back