No wonder we are a throw away nation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fordf150

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Sponsor
Reaction score
So i use these echo inspection lights out in my shop. AS 001.jpg

Been using this one for better than 6 months when the battery finally went dead. Decided to run down to the hardware store and get new batteries and replace them in this light and another one that has been dead for a few months. These lights retail for $9.99....Batteries AS 002.jpg are $3.19 EACH. I bought 8 batteries to get both lights up and running again for a grand total of $27.24. I didnt know what the cost was until i was at the register and he rang it up. I paid and walked out....next time the batteries are dead i think i will just throw the light away and open up a new one. :angry::angry::angry::angry:

For one thing, A76 Enegrizer is the same as LR44, which are pretty common (any company makes them).

But possibly the problem isn't the battery. Maybe its the store selling it....
Amazon Energizer A76 20-pack $7.29

Sorry.
I know...but i try to buy all that little stuff local. I knew i would overpay by going there but it was sticker shock once rung up...by that point i was committed. Next time around i will ebay/amazon it...maybe even buy a pack or 2 to throw in a desk drawer so that next time around instead of running to the local hardware i can spend a couple hours searching for the batteries that i remember buying and putting in safe keeping spot 6 months ago but can no longer remember where that safe keeping spot was.

maybe even buy a pack or 2 to throw in a desk drawer so that next time around instead of running to the local hardware i can spend a couple hours searching for the batteries that i remember buying and putting in safe keeping spot 6 months ago but can no longer remember where that safe keeping spot was.
Ha Ha! You've described me perfectly!

I hear ya. Always swore by maglites but they don't even last as long as the cheap led ones you can buy for a buck at wally world. Bought one 2 days ago and its already acting up. Such is life. Hell a lot of us make our living repairing things that if built with quality, would leave us penniless

My fav is rummaging through the junk looking for something and finding a package in a bag with hardware for..what?? Whut the heck project was this for?? Hmm..receipt is from like two years ago....hmmm

Happened more than once, too..

I've noticed that often times, the "Dollar Store" trinkets.. Book lights , those short body laser pointers, key chain lights etc, will all use 3 of the same size cells.
Look at the date ("copyright/trademark" haha) If you can find something that's dated the current year, with the little battery protection tab still in place
then you might have a decent set of cells inside.
I've grabbed a few this way, to repower another light.

But from my own experience, I've developed a habit of looking at what powers the light and then look for the cells hanging nearby and their cost.
The price or hard to find-ness factor is a strong deal breaker for me.
I'm pretty much a sucker for a nice compact, single "AA" powered light.
The Rayovacs have survived a couple years of being dropped from as much as 8~9 feet.
Just a nice little pocket light and decent rechargeable cells make it dirt cheap to use.
I do grab a cotton swab and wipe all of the threads and contacts with electronics switch and potentiometer cleaner/lube before ever starting to use them.
This seems to help any light work a bit better, the caps threads arent so bad to grab/gaul and you get a steadier looking light output.

I just recently found that "Defiant" brand in the closeout section of lowes.
I don"t yet know if it's built worth a hoot And I do wish the head wasn't quite as large.

Putting that stubby flex stalk lamp (from the inspection lights)
onto one of these "AA" powered lights and still selling for under $15USD
would be seriously sweet, in my little life!

Attachments

• 1547.JPG
    1547.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 39
I know...but i try to buy all that little stuff local. I knew i would overpay by going there but it was sticker shock once rung up...by that point i was committed. Next time around i will ebay/amazon it...maybe even buy a pack or 2 to throw in a desk drawer so that next time around instead of running to the local hardware i can spend a couple hours searching for the batteries that i remember buying and putting in safe keeping spot 6 months ago but can no longer remember where that safe keeping spot was.
I have a drawer exclusive for batteries and related stuff. Well actually it is a shoebox from my wife in the drawer with all the stuff inside. If it isn't in there well I hope I didn't put it somewhere else...

I have a drawer exclusive for batteries and related stuff. Well actually it is a shoebox from my wife in the drawer with all the stuff inside. If it isn't in there well I hope I didn't put it somewhere else...

Have a 3 year old run around your shop for awhile. That battery box will now be in 5 boxes, 3 shelves, and in the bolt bins

Next time you need a new flashlight try a streamlight microstream very bright little light uses 1 AAA battery that lasts a long time and the light will last forever or until it's lost

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I don't make a habit of patronizing local shops that rip me off. Some people take advantage of others that want to buy local. I worked with a fellow that paid $50 more for a lawn mower because he bought local rather than drive 12 miles to a Walmart, and yes the mowers were exactly alike and he knew it.

Next time you need a new flashlight try a streamlight microstream very bright little light uses 1 AAA battery that lasts a long time and the light will last forever or until it's lost

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

You got that right I bought a lot of them at dealer cost and use it everyday. Love the triple A's an it lasts about a month. But, they suck to loose. On #3 in 2 years.

I don't make a habit of patronizing local shops that rip me off. Some people take advantage of others that want to buy local. I worked with a fellow that paid $50 more for a lawn mower because he bought local rather than drive 12 miles to a Walmart, and yes the mowers were exactly alike and he knew it.
Yep, but Walmart don't fix mowers. To get it serviced or fixed, you have to take it to the local mower shop.
If the local shop isn't supported, he goes broke, then nobody fixes mowers. Local shop has to put in his order for mowers three months before the season starts, and gets a month to pay for them. So he is carrying that debt until they are all sold. Walmart probably gets a lower cost price too.

My hardware, plumbing stuff, hand tools come from two fantastic local hardware stores. Lumber come from a local lumber yard. Home Depots lumber isn't worth $#!+ if you ask me. My power equipment and parts come from the dealer. I'll pay for quality. I picked up 10 sheets of Sheetrock Friday night at plywood plus, backed my truck down to the door, we walked 10 feet to the pile and loaded up. Then talked gm trucks and olds 442s for a bit. I like that experience

Because they don't buy local when they assemble them. I bought 20 lr44 blister pack from a us eBay seller for$2.95. No name, but they work. Pretty hard to screw up producing an alkaline battery

Yep, but Walmart don't fix mowers. To get it serviced or fixed, you have to take it to the local mower shop.
If the local shop isn't supported, he goes broke, then nobody fixes mowers. Local shop has to put in his order for mowers three months before the season starts, and gets a month to pay for them. So he is carrying that debt until they are all sold. Walmart probably gets a lower cost price too.

I say good on him. I don't shop at Walmart and frankly would not go there if they were giving mowers away free. My money and I vote with my wallet.

So i use these echo inspection lights out in my shop. View attachment 489917

Been using this one for better than 6 months when the battery finally went dead. Decided to run down to the hardware store and get new batteries and replace them in this light and another one that has been dead for a few months. These lights retail for $9.99....Batteries View attachment 489918 are $3.19 EACH. I bought 8 batteries to get both lights up and running again for a grand total of $27.24. I didnt know what the cost was until i was at the register and he rang it up. I paid and walked out....next time the batteries are dead i think i will just throw the light away and open up a new one. :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Why would you want to do that. If the lamp is OK you have $6.80 to spend on something else The bummer is when a replacement armature for a corded drill costs 3 euro's more than a new complete drill with a box each of drill bits for steel & masonry

Why would you want to do that. If the lamp is OK you have $6.80 to spend on something else
Little Al, I think he meant that the light took four of those batteries, costing $13.60, or $3.60 more than a new light.

Latest posts

Back