Non-limiting coils

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A question to experienced saw builders: what is your opinion on non-limiting coils for work saws? I don't build my own saws, but I do run modified saws. I have borrowed and tested out some 390xp's from guys I fall with built by the saw builders in my area (walkers/simon). It seems to me that once the bar is stuffed in the cut (36-42" bars in old growth fir/hemlock/cedar etc), having the rev's limited doesn't make a difference. I only seemed to notice it on very light loads (limbing/brushing). The saws that I have tried ranged from stock to heavily modified. Just looking for people's thoughts.

First, I'm not an experienced saw builder, but nobody else has answered yet...
In my limited experience, like you say when the saw is in the cut it will be below the limited rpm, so at that point it doesn't matter. A small saw I have slightly ported, muffler, etc. sounds like it's 4 stroking w/ a limited coil when it's still a little too lean. After changing coils I richened it up a bit more from what sounded right. Biggest advantage is ability to tune with an unlimited coil. I've read a lot on this forum, search and get the "experienced guy's" opinions!

Latest posts

Back