Noob needs advise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deeeez

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone, :D

I'm a complete novice when it comes to chainsaws. During the past week I've been on the internet (a lot of reading on this site), visiting dealers and even reading two chainsaw manuals trying to make my decision as far as purchasing my first chainsaw. I would appreciate your advise, here is what I know and what I'm looking for:

I'm going to be cutting a lot of branches, a 16" diameter stump, and couple of small trees with <12" diameter. This chainsaw is not going to be used for any serious cutting and I don't anticipate using it more than a couple of hours a year.

I have researched and narrowed it down to Husky and Stihl. I've gone to three dealers that carry both. Two of the three suggested Stihl, the other one was indifferent.

I will not buy the Husky 142 or 137, because I heard that they are made by Pulon. I've also noticed that the Husky's tend to be the better value as they include more features or HP for the same price. I also know about Stihl parts being easier to find, but costing slightly more than husky.

I was leaning toward the Husky 345 but I came across a few too many threads of people having problems with them. So now it's between a 350 or Stihl 250/230. :help:

1. So, should I go with the Husky or Stihl? :dizzy:
If you recommend Stihl, there is about a $40 to $50 difference between the "CB-E" and standard model. "CB-E" has a tool less tensioner and primer for easy starting. 2. Do I really need those features? :confused:

3. Also, should I go with a 16" or 18" bar?

I would really appreciate your advise

Deez, In all reality either saw should work fine. I would be skeptical of the Husky 350 as I am sure that you are aware of the housing is all plastic. I have had great success with my Stihl equipment and I would more than likely purchase another. If Husky is your pick I would think about the 353. This saw has lots of people saying great things about it and the housing is not plastic. Ken

The Stihl MS250 would be my choiceout of the ones listed. My personal recommendation would be the MS260 pro. With this saw you get a Magnesium crankcase instead of a plastic one, a fully adjustable carb, a decompression release for easier starting and a much better power to weight ratio.

The 250 is a great saw and has been around a long time. Parts are very easy to find. Stihl tends to be more expensive but remember. They are thought to have invented the chainsaw, are a family owned co., and are available ONLY through authorized dealers. This last one is a great thing becasue when you need parts, or service you just go right in and have no worries. Stihl also doesnt alow a power product to leave the stor without it being started for you, explined how to operate,a nd shown how to maintain the item.

Good luck and let us know what you choose.

In my opinion...avoid a saw with too free chain tensioner. I have replaced so many of these it isn't funny. There is a reason why 90% of all saws produced in the world have bar nuts...they work. Sidecover bar adjusters are great, they just moved a screw around. Tool less chain adjusters just don't fit the bill for long life.

Here's your problem, you aren't running your saw enough. This will cause problems with storage. I'd suggest not bothering wth name brands. Figure your saw budget, then add 15%. GO to your local dealers and talk with them...get a look at their parts inventory and service area. See how many saws they have in stock. Do they sharpen chain, stock a variety of accessories and handle at least basic PPE (Chaps, glasses, gloves, Har-hats, etc.).

So I guess it comes down to the dealer, as always. Unless you buy it on the internet; dealer support is the most important part of any piece of equipment.

Im not a pro at chainsaws either but I will tell you that a friend of mine recently bought a husky 350 with a sixteen inch bar for a firewood saw and it is one awesome saw. You really shouldnt go wrong with either brand. Both saws have their problem areas as does anything. If you read a lot of these posts you will see your share of stihl problems as well as husky problems. As far as bar lenght I wouldnt go with any longer than will be needed as it is just more teeth to sharpen, plus it takes a little more power to pull a longer bar.My suggestions on a saw that will fit your needs would be the husky 350 or the stihl 029. JMO. Also check out the duration of the warranty. I think that Husky has the edge in that dept. Good luck.

I'd get a Husky 350 with a 16 inch bar and chain. From what I've seen the MS250 has just as much plastic as the 350. Both are non-pro home owner saws. The 350 has a better anti vibration system and the Husky air filter system is WAY better then the Stihl's. I go through 6 or 7 air filters on my both my Stihl 021 and 029 to every one my friend replaces on his Husky 350! Just my $0.02!

Last edited:
First off, welcome to arboristsite! Hope you enjoy your time here and be sure to post some pictures of your cutting activities, too!

deeeez said:
I'm going to be cutting a lot of branches, a 16" diameter stump, and couple of small trees with <12" diameter. This chainsaw is not going to be used for any serious cutting and I don't anticipate using it more than a couple of hours a year.

OK, before we go any further, you ARE the intended and proper market for the quality homeowner saw. You don't need a $500 saw with a magnesium crankcase to handle this cutting.

deeeez said:
I have researched and narrowed it down to Husky and Stihl. I've gone to three dealers that carry both. Two of the three suggested Stihl, the other one was indifferent.

Either brand, along with Echo, Jonsered, and Dolmar, have products that will meet your needs. Since you have dealers for Stihl and Husqvarna nearby, you should go with the saw brand that comes from a dealer you are comfortable working with now and in the future, and the model that feels best in your hands.

deeeez said:
I will not buy the Husky 142 or 137, because I heard that they are made by Pulon. I've also noticed that the Husky's tend to be the better value as they include more features or HP for the same price. I also know about Stihl parts being easier to find, but costing slightly more than husky.

Good call on the 137/142. They're not bad saws, in an absolute sense, but there are better choices. You're right about the hp/$ and parts cost differences, but when you're still happily using the saw ten or fifteen years from now I doubt you'll care much about the slight price differential.

deeeez said:
I was leaning toward the Husky 345 but I came across a few too many threads of people having problems with them. So now it's between a 350 or Stihl 250/230. :help:

I'd rule out the Stihl 230, since it is only a few bucks less than the 250 and offers less power in the same chassis. So that leaves the Stihl 250 and the Husqvarna 350. Truth be told, either will more or less do the same thing and will be good choices for your intended uses. Go with the one that feels better in your hands.

deeeez said:
1. So, should I go with the Husky or Stihl? :dizzy:
If you recommend Stihl, there is about a $40 to $50 difference between the "CB-E" and standard model. "CB-E" has a tool less tensioner and primer for easy starting. 2. Do I really need those features? :confused:

Go with whichever YOU are most comfortable with. Both are fine choices. If you buy the Stihl, avoid the CB-E rubbish like the plague. You're paying money for something that makes life HARDER for you. It takes NO real effort to loosen a bar nuts, twist the tensioning screw, and retighten the bar nuts. The CB-E crap is a feature intended to appeal to people who know nothing about saws, are already overwhelmed by the idea of buying a tool that requires upkeep, and want to "simplify" the process. It is NOT an accident that this is not available on pro saws.

deeeez said:
3. Also, should I go with a 16" or 18" bar?

16" would be my choice. It will do almost everything you need, and will be more maneuverable than the 18". And it is a better match to the power of the saws you are looking at. If you want a longer bar, you can always pick up an extra 20" bar and chain to have as a second b/c combo. But for an all-around bar, a 16" a better choice.

Of you're first picks I would go with the Husky 350, been running one for three years now, great little saws!!! Best bang for buck saw there is on the market as far as I am concerned!! I would buy another one in a heartbeat if I needed something NOW!! I am all for dealer suport, but one nice thing about these saws is if you need parts and the dealer is closed you can find them at Lowes or most farm stores, chains/bars/spark plugs/airfilters etc.
Now is when I go against the grain and will catch a lot of grief!!!
If what you say is true, it will only get used a couple hours a year, sitting around will kill the saw before you can, bad gas, eating the gaskets in the carb, things like that. SO............ I think you are a prime canadate for a cheapie saw, look for a refurb wildthing or if you have a Sears parts/outlet store nearby watch for them to have refurbs also, I have seen 45-55cc craftsmans go for around $80, and my dad has bought wildthings for $70 before. That gets you in cheap, if you find you run it more, then spend the money on a better saw, if you don't and it dies from storage, seen it, again, you aren't out much. Just my .02.
Welcome to AS:rockn:
Andy

Everything computeruser said is spot on, and sawinredneck brings up a good point as well. I was going to suggest a Husky 350, but add that you research long term saw storage on this site.

Now I'm thinking somebody should ask - how would you weigh your interest in owning a quality saw (pride in having good tools, dependability, performance, long term value, etc) against your interest in getting the job at hand done without spending unneccesary money (on a saw you won't use all that often). In other words, are you interested in saws for the sake of saws, or is something you'll only think about when you have branches to cut?

I have a Husky 350 and have been very happy with it. I think either would probaby be a good buy for you. I have only had one problem with my Husky and that was a broken oil cap. It had nothing to do with the saw, was totally my fault. :bang:

You said you have plenty of local dealers, so I would suggest that you handle both saws and see whate feels better to you.

Stop

Before you do anything else or make any decisions, go back to your dealers. Tell them you want to try each of the ones you are thinking about purchasing. They should have a couple old logs out back or something and SHOULD let you try them out first. If it's your first saw and your only going to use it every so often, that means you are probably going to have this bugger for years and years to come. Think about how much you might want to get back on it should you decide you want to sell it. Resale should be in your head for the future should anything change for you. Also, ONLY MAKE YOUR CHOICE AFTER YOU CUT A FEW SMALL THINGS WITH THE SAW. I can't stress this enough. You don't want to get a saw recommended by all of us or by them, then get home, cut for 20 min and realize your saw is gutless, or just not comfortable for you. Try them both, Stihl and Husky if that's your closest dealers. I bought the wifey a 137, she's been cutting with it for 2 weeks now, probably like 4 or 5 hours worth of cutting on logs between 4" and 18" and it works for her well. That's all that's important, not the name. Make sure YOU like it before you spend a dime or listen to anyone. Happy sawing bud... :greenchainsaw:

FWIW, I've had a Jonsered 2050 (similar in build quality and power to the Husky 350) for 15 years. And for the most part, it's tasks have been similar to what you describe; that is until the last several years when I started hauling many loads of firewood. I then opted for a bigger pro-quality saw. All those years, I never felt like I was running a less-than-adequate saw. A Stihl or Husky homeowner saw, in most cases, is a saw you should be proud to own. They ain't junk.

Husqvarna - Poulan

deeeez said:
Hello everyone, :D

I bought the 137, good saw for small trees, limbs, etc.
I wanted to post a response from Husqvarna reference my question "is the Husqvarna 137 built by Husqvarna or Poulan. trailing message is from Husqvarna:
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2005 9:40 AM
To: Jim Calhoun
Subject: Re: Husqvarna 137

Mr. Calhoun,

I wanted to pass along the following information form our hand-held product
manager:

Husqvarna and Poulan/WeedEater are both owned by Electrolux however the 137
is not a "Poulan" saw. The 137/142 are Husqvarna's entry level saw and are
assembled at the Electrolux plant in Dequeen, Arkansas. These 2 units are
design controlled out of Sweden and built to Swedish specs. These 2 models
are manufactured and branded exclusively as Husqvarna. They are not
rebadged and offered as Poulan or Poulan Pro products (Or any other brand).

The 137/142 saws have several features that are unique to Husqvarna -
Specifically:
A 3 piece forged crankshaft (vs. A 5 piece crankshaft with stamped
counterweights)
A chrome plated cylinder (vs. a bare bore cylinder)
Our "2-Mass" Principle which moves the fuel tank to the handle assembly
vs. on the chain saw chassis in order to reduce vibrations
Air Injection.

About the only components common from this saw to other Poulan Products
would be the hardware, chain and maybe a few other miscellaneous components
- I would estimate less that 5% of this saw is common to Poulan saws.

We feel confident that these units are the best consumer saws available and
have backed them with a warranty that reflects this - 15 day Crown
Commitment, 2 year Consumer Warranty, and a Lifetime warranty on Ignition
module.

Sincerely,

Kristi Spencer
Communications Manager
Husqvarna

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=26040&highlight=137

The quick adjust chain tensioner actually work quite well on the 210->250... and it's just been released in a PRO form for the 361. I've never seen a broken unit and it's been out for a few years now. Takes a minute or two longer to flip the bar but that's only one in a while..

First, I'd like to thank you all for the replies. I will definitely read up on long term storage, I already know that I'm supposed to drain the gas and run the saw until it stops, if I intend to not use it for more than 30 days.

Looks like the replies are split down the middle as far as brand preference. Silly me, I was hoping you guys would make it easier on me by overwhelmingly recommending one brand. LOL I know it's the old Chevy vs. Ford thing... :sword:

Based on the replies, I think I will avoid the tool-less stuff, that way I can put the extra $$ toward the actual saw.

I know some of you guys recommended buying a cheap or used saw, that would make sense given the amount cutting that I will be doing, but I think I want to own a new saw just for the heck of it.

The funny thing is that just as I think I've made up my mind, I read something that swings me to the other side of the fence. LOL
It's a $300 purchase, maybe I should worry less. :dizzy:

Anyway guys, keepem comin, I'll be reading everything you guys write... :popcorn:

Here is what I've decided so far: I'll be getting a 16" Bar!

deeeez said:
So now it's between a 350 or Stihl 250/230. :help:
3. Also, should I go with a 16" or 18" bar? ....

Among those, Husky 350, no doubt - it is by far the nicest saw to use, and has better anti-vibe and air filter system.

At least to me, the "plastic factor" of the MS250 is higher, and I simply don't like them. The Husky 350 has a better feel to it, but I would take a real close look at the 353 also - it is a pro quality saw at not much mere money.....:D

Keep the bar as short as possible, the saw will balance better, and performance also will be slightly better.

deeeez said:
Based on the replies, I think I will avoid the tool-less stuff, that way I can put the extra $$ toward the actual saw. ....

Very good desisions, so far! :clap: :clap:

deeeez said:
[/B]

Considering the little amount of time the saw will be used, why don't you rent one instead?

deeeez said:
The funny thing is that just as I think I've made up my mind, I read something that swings me to the other side of the fence. LOL

;) I know what you're saying there! Been there, done that, but I think that most of us have at some point. Then we get the saw bug and all of a sudden "either-or" choices become "why not just buy both" choices. Watch out, and hold on tightly to your wallet! Soon you'll be listing off a bunch of saws in your arboristsite signature that you don't really "need" but bought anyway...

Anyway, the nice thing about chainsaws is that there is eBay - people on there will buy ANYTHING and will pay retail prices for used saws. So if you buy something, use it a bit, and decide you don't like it, you have the option of getting most of your money back selling it off on eBay so long as you did your part to keep the saw clean and in good condition while you owned it.

deeeez said:
First, I'd like to thank you all for the replies. I will definitely read up on long term storage, I already know that I'm supposed to drain the gas and run the saw until it stops, if I intend to not use it for more than 30 days.

Looks like the replies are split down the middle as far as brand preference. Silly me, I was hoping you guys would make it easier on me by overwhelmingly recommending one brand. LOL I know it's the old Chevy vs. Ford thing... :sword:

Based on the replies, I think I will avoid the tool-less stuff, that way I can put the extra $$ toward the actual saw.

I know some of you guys recommended buying a cheap or used saw, that would make sense given the amount cutting that I will be doing, but I think I want to own a new saw just for the heck of it.

Anyway guys, keepem comin, I'll be reading everything you guys write... :popcorn:

Looks like you are headed in the right direction so far.
The MS250 has been a strong saw for years and would be a good choice. The quick chain adjuster is not a bad thing and actually works but it is something that is not needed. I'm sorry I cannot help you on the Husky as the only places that sell them here are Tractor Supply, Sears, and Lowe's stores. No dealer network available and there are plenty of Stihl dealers with a great parts and repair service.
As said by many people, choose the one that is comfortable for you. Althoug it would be nice to try before you buy but that is not always possible.
Welcome and good luck.

Back