Noob needs advise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And yet another couple of ideas: Firewood season is practically over in many areas. Check your saw dealers for good-condition trade-ins. Or check with your local Home Depot rental department. They sometimes have great-dondition used Makita 6401 saws for $225. In either case, you may end up with a pro quality saw AND stay in your budget.

SawTroll said:
At least to me, the "plastic factor" of the MS250 is higher, and I simply don't like them.

Ok guys the plastic thing has been brought up more than a couple of times....
when I was at the dealer, I held/touched a bunch of husky and Stihl saws. The higher end models had some metal parts on the outer case, but they all had plastic ( or maybe it was Mg), I don't recall seeing an all metal saw....

hmm... I think at this price point they are both made from plastic...if I'm incorrect please set me straight...

deeeez said:
when I was at the dealer, I held/touched a bunch of husky and Stihl saws. The higher end models had some metal parts on the outer case, but they all had plastic ( or maybe it was Mg), I don't recall seeing an all metal saw....

hmm... I think at this price point they are both made from plastic...if I'm incorrect please set me straight...

its true, they all have plastic in em.. but the thing is that some just feel squeky and fragile while others dont...

deeeez said:

You're right, they all have plastic and at your pricepoint the chassis/oil tank will be pastic whereas it will be magnesium with the higher-end and larger saws. And no, you will not find new saws built like the old all-metal monsters of days gone by.

The "plasticy feel" thing is a subjective assessment, just like any other factor that contributes to the feel of the saw. This is a personal assessment thing, both saws that have been discussed - 250 and 350 - are durable and reliable machines. Go with what feels right in your hands.

Ive got a 250 with a 16" bar. Its great. It loves to run. Plus I've got two personable dealers I can go to. To me the ability to walk into the stihl shop with a stihl saw for any help is peace of mind. I'm sure you'd love the husky too however. I've recently seen some 250 reduced by $15 with a hard case thrown in FWIW.

The MS 250 and the Husky 145 are pretty much comparable for your application. With the 345 bumped in favor of the 350, the nod, from here, goes to the 350...slightly more power and comparable weight.

I have a question, if you guys would be kind enough to answer.

I read on Stihl's website that the 250 features "Forged connecting rod with caged needle bearings (Like pro saws)," what is that, is it important, does husky have it?

I feel like a total noob... lol :blush:

deeeez said:
I have a question, if you guys would be kind enough to answer.

I read on Stihl's website that the 250 features "Forged connecting rod with caged needle bearings (Like pro saws)," what is that, is it important, does husky have it?

I feel like a total noob... lol :blush:

its just matter of crankshaft construction... but all huskies above 345 (including 345) have 3 part forged crankshaft, so yes, huskys have em too...

quick question guys:
I was reading a thread today and I read a few posts about lower end Stihls being older design saws.

What is this about?

SawTroll said:
Thats right, and also the 260 and 440 among the pro saws......:blob2:

thank you for the quick reply Saw troll. So all the homeowner models plus the 260 and 440 are older designs?

How are the newer designs different from the older models?

Is there a time table for releasing newer versions of current models?

deeeez said:
thank you for the quick reply Saw troll. So all the homeowner models plus the 260 and 440 are older designs?

Pretty much anything except the 361 and 441 are "older designs." The differences between Stihl's older designs and those of Husqvarna, Dolmar, and others, often concern changes relating to the use of springs instead of rubber bushings for anti-vibe and having some sort of centrifugal pre-filtration for the air intake system. Are these improvements? Sure. But at the same time we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that the Stihl models are proven, reliable and they do a fine job of cutting wood. So what if you have to dust the filter off at lunchtime?

New isn't always better, though. The Husqvarna 570 and 575, for example, incorporate all sorts of nifty new features. Yet they sit on shelves while people bid up the last of the NIB 372s on eBay and elsewhere. And Husqvarna's widespread adoption of catylitic converter mufflers is little more than a $40-60 surcharge on the cost of the saw when you have to go out and buy an old-style muffler to swap out on a brand-new saw.

346xp?

i started out in the same situation and bought a 390 stihl got hooked and traed it in for a 346xp and a 650 stihl. In my town huskies are mor emoney thean stihls. I would just recommend buying your saw from you local dealer, you will get better service and lots of tips down the road, plus that whole keep it local thing.

jefeVTtreeman said:
i started out in the same situation and bought a 390 stihl got hooked and traed it in for a 346xp and a 650 stihl. In my town huskies are mor emoney thean stihls. I would just recommend buying your saw from you local dealer, you will get better service and lots of tips down the road, plus that whole keep it local thing.

I will buy from a local dealer, in fact I've visited 3 of them so far...
The problem for me is choosing a brand :)

In fact Huskysaws.com is only 30 min from me. I visited their store and it's huge for a chainsaw store, they are like a Home depot for chainsaws. I hadn't seen that many Stihls and Huskys in one place, ever..

you know, my buddy bought a poulan pro 18" from Lowes to clear out the backyard of his newly purchased house. No research, no thinking, he just went to lowes and bought it and used it... LOL here i am researching for more than a week now and I'm more confused than when i started.... sometimes I envy him... :chainsaw:

deeeez said:

Well, Computeruser answered this at least as good as I can....:biggrinbounce2:
As for a time table, "nobody" seem to know - my personal guess is that the 461 will be the next new model, if the 441 can be used as a "template".

Some time ago someone stated that he had actually seen a prototype 661 at the factory, but I don't remember the details.

The 260 will probably be the last one to go, as they just sell too well, in spite of their weaknesses......:bang:

The above is more or less pure speculations, anybodys guess is probably as good as mine...

Last edited:
deeeez said:
I know some of you guys recommended buying a cheap or used saw, that would make sense given the amount cutting that I will be doing, but I think I want to own a new saw just for the heck of it.

If your not sure about this you could rent one. Just look up your local tool or equipement rental store. Should have a saw to meet your needs.

Latest posts

Back