Noodles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
noodles_zps7a2781b4.jpg

Nice day, pile of knots/crotches and general junk was getting a bit big so yanked out the 361, fueled it up and enjoyed myself for an hour. I dismantled that rick of rounds down to a workable height leaving a "V" notch, tacked a scrap of plywood across it to keep the saw from pulling the chunks. As usual the 361 ran out of fuel just before finishing. Refueled and did the last 4 chunks. That 361 is one wood eating mother but it does like to eat fuel.

Stuff in the foreground is junky stuff, deteriorated, grossly misshapen, etc. that I don't want on the piles of "to be sold". I'll add the 'junk' to my shoulder season stuff.

I'll bag all those noodles for later in the winter. Last year the working conditions in the snow got too slick. someone suggested noodles. It worked like a dream. I'll be ready with several bags this year.

Harry K

I have been noodling some big:chainsaw:rounds of white oak and ash also. It sure is fun, but is dulling down my chain in a hurry.

I like your cutting area...looks like a cool place to be !! Great idea about how to use the noodles too . Might try that !

"Uglies" I like that:chop:

I cut them up too being raised to waste not. However I am spoiled to the max by the 660. I wont noodle with anything else now.

Anyone besides me wonder just how much of that kind of wood goes to waste? I mean like you drive down the road and rubber neck at everyone's wood piles,, well you do dont you?? ;) Anyway you see so many nice and purdy quarter split and stacked fire wood stocks but my piles look ugly because I cut up and split all the "ugglies" .. Maybe they hide them out back?

Oh ya, We bag up a few and use them for dog bedding in the winter, our dog loves them!

Last edited:
Nice... :)

Wild birds like those noodles, too. Had a wren last year build a nest in one of the SheWolf's flower pots. There were a lot of saw noodles in it. Heck, I just left the stuff to lay on the ground.

Those mishapen chunks are lovingly referred to as Uglies. The supreme unwritten Law of Wood Burning is as follows ... Uglies fires are the first of the seasnon fires ... they have a place of honor in the firewood community.
Burning through my UGLIES right now lol. There's some good BTU's in crotch pieces and uglies.

I've never noodled rounds before but looking at the results I may just too save some for my rabbits litter pan. Those look they'll be perfect for the compost pile with the rabbit droppings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those mishapen chunks are lovingly referred to as Uglies. The supreme unwritten Law of Wood Burning is as follows ... Uglies fires are the first of the seasnon fires ... they have a place of honor in the firewood community.

Yep. I finished up this years uglies stock early in the season. I may even have been the one to introduce the term way back when...at least I don't remember seeing anyone use it before I did.

Harry K

"Uglies" I like that:chop:

I cut them up too being raised to waste not. However I am spoiled to the max by the 660. I wont noodle with anything else now.

Anyone besides me wonder just how much of that kind of wood goes to waste? I mean like you drive down the road and rubber neck at everyone's wood piles,, well you do dont you?? ;) Anyway you see so many nice and purdy quarter split and stacked fire wood stocks but my piles look ugly because I cut up and split all the "ugglies" .. Maybe they hide them out back?

Oh ya, We bag up a few and use them for dog bedding in the winter, our dog loves them!

My uglies which has a large percentage of shorts goes on a separate stack(s). Not that my regular piles are "purty". I make them 6'+ high leaning against the previous pile, etc. Not "purty" but they for sure don't fall down...blow out the ends sometimes yes. One thing about piles of wood, they never quit working. I have some over 10 years old and they are still dribbling chunks off the ends of the ricks.

Harry K

I bag up the noodles in feed sack, dry them and use them for starting the stove. You can light it off with a match because they are that flammable.

They sure do! I had two 55-gal bags of noodles from quartering up a bunch of pignut hickory rounds. Those were amazing firestarters.

Folks thought I was weird because I would often stick my head in one of the bags and take a deep breath through my nose. They smelled soooo good! :)

The MS460 does quick work, and the 088 does it even quicker. But the MS460 is a smidge more fuel efficient. ;)

I have been noodling some big:chainsaw:rounds of white oak and ash also. It sure is fun, but is dulling down my chain in a hurry.
Noodling won't necessarily dull your chain. Likely there's dirt in the bark. And little moisture in the ash- can't help.
Noodling process can be controlled some by the angle of the bar. Chain moving parallel the log gives the longest noodles, which can clog the clutch cover. Noodling with the bar nose down a bit will cut outwards through the bark, tossing dirt and NOT grinding it into the wood. That'll help some with the chain dulling.
Whatever, I'd sharpen whenever in doubt.

Did some noddling the other day myself

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385432451585.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385432451585.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 32
  • uploadfromtaptalk1385432480659.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385432480659.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 28
Re: bagging noodles. There is some fire hazard danger, remote but possible. Fine stuff, moist, compacted tight, bit of heat = spontaneous combustion. The ones I bag will be in black garbage bags and put out in the open where if it should happen won't hurt anything.

Harry K

wow, never dawned on me to use that crap to start a fire. Learn something new from you guys every day.
I never knew there was actually a word for that.
When my friends and I have bonfires I'll go make "treesghetti" for tinder out of a huge (for this area) oak we cut down about three/four years ago. Works like a charm. I've tried it with slash pine too but that was a real pain to cut in comparison.

Sent from a thing using a program

Back