Nor Cal & North SF Bay GTG (November 11-14, 2022)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
70 trees were tagged today and yesterday by state forester for removal. That number is double what it’s ever been. I’ll be able to get some before you get here but will leave the larger for you guys. 75% of them are dead/dying Doug fir. I’ll be blocking off the walk-in sites and a couple sites near the hazard trees for the weekend. We have ten medium sized 20”-36”) up on the hill. Sunday might be best for felling because of sound. Campground is otherwise full.
There are three trees up the hill from the main office. One of those is around 38”dbh. While we are up there I think we should do some fuel management, possibly pull down stuff to chipper(Saturday). Poison oak is there but not as bad as some places in the park.
Most of these firs are recently dead, still have good holding wood, but riddled with widow makers.
When we all arrive we will do our regular walk-through and assess. Saturday morning will be breakfast and tail gate. I’ll get some printed info on poison oak and have it available on the table.
This will be fun. I always fear there won’t be enough to do safely with public around. So sorry about my last post about that. Looks like we have some areas available for felling, I didn’t want to get anybody disappointed when they got here. See you soon!
Maybe I can climb top and chunk some of the big ones in public areas, dont need the 2x zone.

I’ve got most teeshirt sizes, need Charlie, woodslayrr, g flying squirrels, David, Broc Luno, I’ll get extra also.
Tyler, please don't reserve a tee for me. I already have a drawer full that hardly ever get worn. Thanks for thinking of me, though - I appreciate it.

I am posting this message after talking to Tyler and others to get us all on the same page concerning the plan for meals at the GTG this weekend.

Victor has volunteered to help cook dinners for us at the GTG this year. Thanks Victor for stepping up and if you haven’t had his cooking you’re in for a treat. The plan is to have hamburgers Friday night and chili Saturday night. Tyler said the park will provide ingredients.

Tyler said he will pick up ingredients for sandwiches for us Saturday and Sunday. It will be like last year – cold cuts, bread, condiments, lettuce, tomatoes, etc.

Sunday dinner is TBD. Tyler said maybe pizza or something like that.

For breakfast Tyler said he will provide some eggs and maybe some other food. In the past we’ve all brought food for breakfast and we should plan for that this year. I made 10lb of loose breakfast sausage that I’ll bring and a bottle of Pepper Plant sauce. Some suggestions for stuff to bring are eggs, tortillas, hash browns, bacon, salsa, shredded cheese, etc.

Tyler said we’ll drop trees where we can, cut off and chip slash and buck up the trees into rounds. This GTG is always a lot of fun and I for one am really looking forward to it. We’re getting a lot of rail today but the forecast looks clear until Sunday late afternoon. It should be perfect for the weekend if it holds.

Travel safe and we’ll see you this weekend.

Bob

Hi I’m Joshua was at Bob’s GTG in Apr., I will be in the area this weekend and am hoping to stop by for awhile on Sat.
I don’t know much about anything lol but I’ll bring my saw, ppe, and drinks. Pls no need to increase food supplies on account of me will likely only be able to stay for a few hours.

A number of hazard trees (all doug fir IIRC) were dropped - Tyler, what was the final count? Some of them were good size, maybe 4' dbh. What impressed me is how precisely positioned they were when they went down. Made the cleanup much easier and no infrastructure was damaged.

We also cleaned up the corral/camping area which had become a repository for logs to "someday" be processed into firewood to be sold to the folks who stay at all the campsites in the park. We kept the splitter going for most of the day while a couple folks with more energy than this 75 yo could muster split a huge amount with mauls.

I forgot to bring my camera this year so regret I have no pics to share.

Back