Nor Cal & North SF Bay GTG (November 11-14, 2022)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Tubbs fire is burning the heck out of NE Santa Rosa as well as areas of Calistoga. It started somewhere near 128 in between Santa Rosa and Calistoga/Saint Helena. Don't at this point know if the park is affected. Good chance that it is. We have falling ash/burned leaves/bark on and around our house SW of Sebastopol. Closest fires are about 10 miles from here. Thoughts and prayers for all the affected people and the park are greatly appreciated. Ckelp (and family) and my Dad live about 2 miles south of the current evacuation zone.

The Tubbs fire is burning the heck out of NE Santa Rosa as well as areas of Calistoga. It started somewhere near 128 in between Santa Rosa and Calistoga/Saint Helena. Don't at this point know if the park is affected. Good chance that it is. We have falling ash/burned leaves/bark on and around our house SW of Sebastopol. Closest fires are about 10 miles from here. Thoughts and prayers for all the affected people and the park are greatly appreciated. Ckelp (and family) and my Dad live about 2 miles south of the current evacuation zone.
Hang in there, y'all, I have been following this story all morning. Looks real bad from here.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Here's the best map I can find at 1600 09 Oct; this is from 1000, 6 hrs ago. It puts the main body of the fire NE of Bothe-Napa park and SW of RLS Park. The wind is from the NE so this would be a backing fire. Backing fires tend to move slower, but also to burn things in their path more completely due to staying longer. I'll post an updated map when I find one.

santarosa_fires_1009_10a.png

Update: this NWCG map should auto-refresh.

Here's the best map I can find at 1600 09 Oct; this is from 1000, 6 hrs ago. It puts the main body of the fire NE of Bothe-Napa park and SW of RLS Park. The wind is from the NE so this would be a backing fire. Backing fires tend to move slower, but also to burn things in their path more completely due to staying longer. I'll post an updated map when I find one.

santarosa_fires_1009_10a.png

Update: this NWCG map should auto-refresh.

That is a serious sized fire, I must contact my daughter and get more info on it.

It's about as dry as it gets around here; hope that you are all faring OK up there. I felt the winds switching on shore today at the coast so that's a sign of relief. Heavily inundated with smoke where I'm at (~SW of Bothe). I'll be glad when winter moves in. Jeremy

Yesterday Cody and I were working at the top of the mountain above Big Basin state park. The wind was HOWLING until noon then it died down until 4pm. Cody was limbing up a big oak that was dancing in the wind. We even had a hard time talking to each other. I hope no firefighters were at the wind driven head of those fires in NorCal, that is a recipe for disaster. 1500 homes lost as of a few hours ago. Homeowners' fire insurance is looking to be a thing of the past in California. The permit process doesn't allow many home owners to clear any vegetation away from their house.

Latest posts

Back