Normal for Stihl chain tensioner to have lots of play?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are welcome.

Some users even go so far as to adjust chain, tighten bar nuts back down to hold the bar in place, then back off adjustment screw a quarter turn or so to keep load off that adjustment screw. I don't bother, but I guess leaving it slack couldn't hurt. Either way, it's easy to replace if it breaks. Just have a spare adjuster on hand and cut like hell with the saw.

Thought Overkill Alert
From an Engineering Standpoint (since I do that kinda thing sometimes):

Leaving the screw snug against the chain tension after tighnening the bar nuts down is probably BETTER for the life of the adjuster than leaving it loose. If there is any play in the adjuster, it is taken up and held firm if left snug after tightening the bar nuts. If loosened after the bar nuts are torqued, the adjuster is free to vibrate back and forth in the slot, to bang against the threads between the nut and screw, and to wiggle within the slot which holds the adjuster into the saw. This will probably result in an even looser adjuster. Steady stress held firm on a small piece of metal or plastic is better than an alternating stress back and forth.

It really doesn't matter in my opinion! The adjuster will last the life of the saw if not abused, either way!

Thanks all for the support and for writing out the thought processes, ha! I'll just roll with it for the time being. I've bucked all my logs for next winter already and just need to get the maul back in action for the remainder of the year... 261 is on random debris duty until next year!!

The tensioner on my MS261-CM is very tight. I do not know how old my saw is. I easily lose track of time. I can say for sure, it is not a new saw. Since the dealer is not of much use, maybe an email to Stihl would help.

https://support.stihl.com/en-us/write-email/
To speak to looseness of a tensioner. My 55 Rancher tensioner is very sloppy. This does not impact the ability to tension the chain. It does require me to push the bar in by hand to loosen the chain. There is about 1/4" of play.

It'd be great if someone else with an MS261 would be able to help out and show some pics and video.

It's either the fact that the metal bar with the rod on it has too much play on the threads, or that it's "too thin" and isn't right in the track made by the metal case.

Either way only option seems to be to replace that metal piece and see if it helps
MS261C. Seems to have some slop. 2 pics and vid. Saw is 3 or 4 years old. Very low hrs.
View attachment IMG_5137.MOV

8E088B04-F495-4531-91E0-05B190894C10.jpeg

5560016E-D156-45FA-9BEA-D729B6008C13.jpeg

Thanks all for the support and for writing out the thought processes, ha! I'll just roll with it for the time being. I've bucked all my logs for next winter already and just need to get the maul back in action for the remainder of the year... 261 is on random debris duty until next year!!

The sole purpose of the set up is to take up slack and tighten tension properly for chain to bar. If it is doing that with no problems then great. Then the BAR NUTS take over and use clamping force to hold the tension. If yours is doing this be it a little sloppy, then like you said roll with it. The system is captivate as long as the threads don't strip out it should last you years of service. Cheers. Patrick ;)

The sole purpose of the set up is to take up slack and tighten tension properly for chain to bar. If it is doing that with no problems then great. Then the BAR NUTS take over and use clamping force to hold the tension. If yours is doing this be it a little sloppy, then like you said roll with it. The system is captivate as long as the threads don't strip out it should last you years of service. Cheers. Patrick ;)
Thanks buddy for the reassurance!

I most likely could get it replaced, but would use up a lot of brownie points lol
Sad that's what it would take :dizzy:.
I hate going to the dealer... 1 hour round trip and they constantly make me drop things off for 2-3 weeks, only to "find no problem". not worth it!
Imagine, a stihl dealer that doesn't know how to work on anything, mine can't hardly order parts unless i bring them the numbers :nofunny:.
I cannot even use the excuse of too many beers any more.
What about the old computer excuse, oh wait, you already used that one in this thread.
I did notice in the image you posted it showed the early 261 clutch cover, not sure why?
I'll still order a little tension plate for 9 bucks and swap it in just to be sure...
From where, it's a stihl, can't just hop online and order one.
We wouldn't have these problems if we could still get the Intenz bar!!!!
Good thing I got extras ;).

Latest posts

Back