Northern Michigan Alaskan and Stihl 075 $400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the link

thanks for the tip to that saw fellas, i've got a call in to the guy and he said he'd ship the powerhead. i've just gotten into milling recently, my first day was yesterday, in fact. milled up some nice black cherry with a dolmar/makita 5400. unsurprisingly, that saw is a little under powered to run a mill. :) it worked, just took a reallllllly looooonggg timmeee..... can't imaging that stihl would though! :biggrinbounce2: anyways, thanks for the tip off to that posting, im new to this site but i've already gleaned a ton of useful info. :cheers:

thanks for the tip to that saw fellas, i've got a call in to the guy and he said he'd ship the powerhead. i've just gotten into milling recently, my first day was yesterday, in fact. milled up some nice black cherry with a dolmar/makita 5400. unsurprisingly, that saw is a little under powered to run a mill. :) it worked, just took a reallllllly looooonggg timmeee..... can't imaging that stihl would though! :biggrinbounce2: anyways, thanks for the tip off to that posting, im new to this site but i've already gleaned a ton of useful info. :cheers:

Welcome to the site and best of luck on the saw.

Welcome to AS. That saw ought to make a fine milling saw for ya.

stihl millling saw

thanks guys! if the deal goes thru and i get the saw i'll post a pic or two for ya. i was thinking that a 25 to 32" bar would be a good size for the saw with my milling jig. anything bigger would probably be a bit unwieldy. any thoughts?

I see that you are from Madison. I am just south of you.

goodluck with the saw. That should be a lot of fun with a saw that powerful

Chris

I run a 42" bar on my 075 with a Granburg mill. It really boils down to the size and type of logs you have availble to you for milling. If you have a Granburg mill you can order longer rails. My mill is probably early 70's vintage and last summer I ordered a set of 48" rails and they bolted right on. I think they set me back $90, not sure but I posted about it here when I had the invoice in my hand.

Having run my 075 for milling wth 36" burried in hadwood I can say that the saw would have no problem pulling a 50" bar. The 075 has a lot of tourque and with a flexable bar you can get some scary bar flex. for this reason I would recomend spending the extra $$ for a woodland pro bar if you do opt for the 42"er. for 25" or 36" it wont matter much which roller tip you put on it.

stihl 075

thanks for the info/tips fellas. i think ill stick to my 32" bar plan, it'll keep the whole assembly a bit easier to move around i think. i'm still waiting for the fella with the 075 to get back to me with some shipping/payment info, but id really like to give a saw of that size a try. then i could use the dolmar 5400 for felling and bucking/cleanup. now that'd be a good setup. :biggrinbounce2:
ps hazard, im thinking of milling this sat down towards egerton, a guy's got some black cherry he's getting rid of. let me know if you're interested.
cheers, mb

I run a 42" bar on my 075 with a Granburg mill. It really boils down to the size and type of logs you have availble to you for milling. If you have a Granburg mill you can order longer rails. My mill is probably early 70's vintage and last summer I ordered a set of 48" rails and they bolted right on. I think they set me back $90, not sure but I posted about it here when I had the invoice in my hand.

Having run my 075 for milling wth 36" burried in hadwood I can say that the saw would have no problem pulling a 50" bar. The 075 has a lot of tourque and with a flexable bar you can get some scary bar flex. for this reason I would recomend spending the extra $$ for a woodland pro bar if you do opt for the 42"er. for 25" or 36" it wont matter much which roller tip you put on it.

The 42" Oregon works fine on a mill. Plenty stiff.

Mark

Mike

I looks like I will be cutting dead oaks down east of Madison Saturday morning. Maybe another time

Chris

Latest posts

Back