Northern Tool Powerhorse splitter info?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giXXer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Since the search feature doesn't seem to be currently working I was wondering if anyone has any insight on the 20 ton Dual split log splitter by Powerhorse found in Northern Tool. I have been patiently waiting and saving for a Super split, but you never see them used and I can never seem to bend the budget enough to sacrifice one "toy" purchase to acquire another splitter. I still have the homemade workhorse, but hate it, needs work and it has run the ambitioon out of me. I have the unicorn which works well, but I need the tractor to run it and when people see it run they wonder how I still have all of my digits. Finally, my Swisher, which is owned with a buddy has now been loaned out so many times and abused, the last time I saw it there was JB weld on the carburetor and hyd. fluid puking everywhere. Looks like he just bought my half. So, anyway, now I need a splitter. Financially, renting is about the best option that I have found as the local rental shop has new Iron and Oaks. They work awesome and only cost $30 if you rent after 3:00 pm Saturday and return it on Mon. before 9:00 am. However, scheduling becomes an issue as I can't split for a couple of hours here and there. After seeing the new spring Northern Tool catalog, reading the reviews and watching the video I was impressed with this little unit for $950.00. Bang for the buck it looks hard to beat. Any input would be appreciated.

My impression of it is it looks like a throw away tool.Even the best equipment breaks down just how it is but I wouldn't lay down a g note for that.And the 20 ton rating seems a little overstated.

My impression of it is it looks like a throw away tool.Even the best equipment breaks down just how it is but I wouldn't lay down a g note for that.And the 20 ton rating seems a little overstated.
:agree2:for a $1000 I would think you could do better.the splitter just doesnt seem to be built heavy enough to stand up to any serious use.

Have you looked around on E-bay or checked craigslist.sometimes you can get lucky by just being patient and waiting for the right deal to come along

I don't have one, nor have I seen one other than in pictures but FWIW, IF I had close to $1000 to spend I would buy a Husky (Speeco) 22t from tractor supply when they put them on sale. I did exactly that and I am happy with the purchase so far.

:agree2:

I just bought a 22T Speeco (Husky) splitter from Tractor Supply for $999. It looks much more substantial than the NT 20T.

Thank you for the responses. I would hate to throw away $950 on a piece of garbage and I guess this just reinforces my concerns. I have been waiting for a few years already for a super split, a couple more won't be the end of the world. I was hoping this would be something I could use for a few years and the dual action splitting blade is pretty efficient. I used a similar unit a few years ago and loved how fast it was and enjoyed the convenience of the table as the blade travels in both directions. The reality of the situation is, I want a pole barn worse than I want a new splitter so i'm just going to have to wait a little longer and buy the unit I've been lusting for and be done with it.

Back