Northstar 37 Ton Splitter won't start ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTwoodnutt

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi Group,
I have a 2 1/2 year old Northstar 37 ton splitter which I used last week, but now I can't start it???
It's 2 1/2 years old, (10/2/12) and has seen only moderate use, always been covered/ never got wet, treated with care.
I put in new gas, added a little oil, checked all switches, etc.
It ran last Wednesday just fine, started on the second pull, splitting some 28" maple, then I towed it back home, and now I can't start it (???).

I'm going to need it soon...I'm working on a 50' long, monster white oak with a 42" base! (Nice...!).
'Giving my Husky 372XP a workout....along with ME!

I'm not much of an "engine guy" so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanking you in advance!

CTwoodnutt

If mine won't start on the second pull, I always check the switch & it will be off. Make sure the gas is on also !

Check fuel on, choke set and spark on.
Was that new fuel or just from a supply you had around?

Check for plugged up muffler. Once the mud daubers are out, they are relentless, anything outside they can crawl in, they'll plug up with mud. Or a spark screen, if especially fouled, burn it clean with propane torch.

Check for air filter being really clean, if in doubt, new one, or try temp start without air cleaner, if it starts and runs, you know what to go buy then.

Bouncing around towing it back, did a wire fall off?

Check for spark with plug out and attached and grounded to engine, one pull will show a spark or not. If you have a spark, try a very small shot of known good fuel down the plug hole, see if it fires (like some canned fuel)

I am not a fan of ether other than getting tires to seat the bead ;)

A lot of small engines have a low oil shutoff feature, check true oil level.

My small mowers are really sensitive to air filter cleanliness. doesn't take much and either fail to start or hard start and run rich then foul the plug.

Inline fuel filter? Change it, cheap insurance, a few bucks.

Don't be cheap on plugs or use gimmick plugs, use only known primo plugs like NGK, etc. (reminds me to put in some on my next amazon order...)

Have you neglected customary sacrifice to the wood gods? Usually burgers on the grill are OK ....

My splitter wouldn't start one time and I didn't have the time to fix. So I took it to a small engine repair shop and they put a carb kit in it for 70 bucks.
It worked fine the next year. The following year it did the same thing.
I called the same shop and they had a brand new carb for 35 bucks.
I replaced the carb in maybe 10 min and she has run fine ever since.

My point, If it's a carb problem, you may look into a new carb instead of a kit.

Check for plugged up muffler. Once the mud daubers are out, they are relentless, anything outside they can crawl in, they'll plug up with mud. Or a spark screen, if especially fouled, burn it clean with propane torch.

Check for air filter being really clean, if in doubt, new one, or try temp start without air cleaner, if it starts and runs, you know what to go buy then.

Bouncing around towing it back, did a wire fall off?

Check for spark with plug out and attached and grounded to engine, one pull will show a spark or not. If you have a spark, try a very small shot of known good fuel down the plug hole, see if it fires (like some canned fuel)

I am not a fan of ether other than getting tires to seat the bead

A lot of small engines have a low oil shutoff feature, check true oil level.

My small mowers are really sensitive to air filter cleanliness. doesn't take much and either fail to start or hard start and run rich then foul the plug.

Inline fuel filter? Change it, cheap insurance, a few bucks.

Don't be cheap on plugs or use gimmick plugs, use only known primo plugs like NGK, etc. (reminds me to put in some on my next amazon order...)

Have you neglected customary sacrifice to the wood gods? Usually burgers on the grill are OK ....

Hi Group!

* * * Checked it in DAYLIGHT, and yes, inded a Wire became unconnected from a BUTT Connector, behind the engine....cleaned it well, pushed it back in (loose...) crimped it, taped it well with winds & winds of electrical tape, and it started with one pull!
- Go figure, it was a dumb little 25 cent BUTT connector that caused the problem.
See what happens when your tired, it's dark, and you can't see everything clearly!

Thanks to All, & Happy Cuttin/Splittin !

CTwoodnutt

A word of caution on "eletrical tape" that might get you going, but ... The plastic black tape will hole in moisture and cause, premote green wire, rot, etc. Make a proper repair, silver solder, dielelic grease, and heat shrink. will go a long way!! Ive made this type style of repair on lights wiring between drive tires on tractor drive wheels with only my repair joint being covered by heat shrink and some split loom and had the wiring torn apart later from a blown tire and had the joint still be solid!! after 80K miles and lot of wet weather 65 MPH power washer!!!

A word of caution on "eletrical tape" that might get you going, but ... The plastic black tape will hole in moisture and cause, premote green wire, rot, etc. Make a proper repair, silver solder, dielelic grease, and heat shrink. will go a long way!! Ive made this type style of repair on lights wiring between drive tires on tractor drive wheels with only my repair joint being covered by heat shrink and some split loom and had the wiring torn apart later from a blown tire and had the joint still be solid!! after 80K miles and lot of wet weather 65 MPH power washer!!!

Hi Gulity1,
Yes, I thought of THAT (after I repaired it...).
I've seen that happen on my boat trailer lights!
I WILL redo that connection this weekend!

Thanks for your insight here!

Have a good Holiday weekend!

CTwoodnutt

Latest posts

Back