Northstar VS Huskee.Which way would you go?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pic you attached is what I wanted... that thing don't look too happy...

How long have you been beating the crap outta it?

All I know is either a Northstar or Huskee/Speeco is a huge step up from that 'fake' Troy Bilt.

The real Troy Bilts were made by GardenWay... and had 6-8 hp, and some tines... :)

I agree, using/working over/on/in something made by someone that has never had to lean over and split firewood, or remove a spark plug in an insanely tight engine bay, etc. is a PITA. Pisses me off from time to time.

If I could, I would banish and exile the EPA to some little island in the middle of the Pacific, and remove most of their BS regulations. That would solve lots of problems.

Also, the plastic recoil cover Hondas are made in China... all GC/GCV series engines are junk. Surprised if they last more than a few years. The red metal ones are the real Hondas. ;)

Sorry for rambling... :msp_mellow:

The pic you attached is what I wanted... that thing don't look too happy...

How long have you been beating the crap outta it?

All I know is either a Northstar or Huskee/Speeco is a huge step up from that 'fake' Troy Bilt.

The real Troy Bilts were made by GardenWay... and had 6-8 hp, and some tines... :)

I agree, using/working over/on/in something made by someone that has never had to lean over and split firewood, or remove a spark plug in an insanely tight engine bay, etc. is a PITA. Pisses me off from time to time.

If I could, I would banish and exile the EPA to some little island in the middle of the Pacific, and remove most of their BS regulations. That would solve lots of problems.

Also, the plastic recoil cover Hondas are made in China... all GC/GCV series engines are junk. Surprised if they last more than a few years. The red metal ones are the real Hondas. ;)

Sorry for rambling... :msp_mellow:

I have had it for four years now, and considering all its been through it hasnt been that bad. Log table is a joke, they both bent within the first day. I dont know about you, but I consider a log table a log table when you can drop a round bigger than a mouse on it from six inches up and it doesnt bend.
Fenders are a joke, and you better get in the habit of checking them each and every time before you drive off with it. I bent mine down one time and forgot to check it. bolts that hold it to the bracket cut a groove in the tire and it went flat before I made it the fifty yards back to the house.
Engine has run strong the entire time, starts on the first pull and literally sips gas. I can bust up three cords of wood for a gallon of fuel, no complaints there.
The biggest joke is the cylinder mounts. If flat out just wont hold up over the long haul, they really had no business making mounts for a ram kicking out the approx and over rated 27 tons.
Im sure after its fixed up it will make a good tool for the average guy who splits a couple of cords a year, but I need a tool that can take everything I dish out to it, and this one aint it.

Avalancher- If it will help, you are more than welcome to try the 30 ton at my place-it is set up the same way as 37 ton-just smaller engine/cyclinder. Also noticed the 37 ton is on sale 1799.00 reg 1899.00. :msp_smile:

My brother has that same one I think he got it from home depot.Hasn't failed like that but I used to borrow it and the bolt that holds the blade broke on me.Cant see where exactly yours failed but I can see how it looks bent.

Avalancher, before you decide on anything do yorself a favor and give Rock a hollar over at Omni Mfg. He is a direct reseller of Speeco splitters (the company that makes Huskee splitters for TSC), a great person to work with and he will get you what you need for the right price. You can't beat the free shipping and no sales tax either!

I have the 25T model and am more than impressed with the quality, the build, the performance and most importantly the support. Speeco's main dude - Kevin Greer - post on this forum frequently, is very responsive and in my opinion you will not find any better customer support.

Here's a link to the Speeco 35T at Omni:

Speeco 35 Ton splitter

Several folks on here have done the same and been very pleased with the whole deal. Check it out, you'll be gald you did!

Northstar actually builds their own equipement, their log splitters are built in Faribault MN and they seem to use quality parts. Haldex pump, prince valve, and they build their own cylinders.

I'm not too sure about that. I know the cylinder on my (NT 22 ton) splitter has a sticker saying "made in China". I dont know if this is correct, or someone just put the sticker there.

I'm not too sure about that. I know the cylinder on my (NT 22 ton) splitter has a sticker saying "made in China". I dont know if this is correct, or someone just put the sticker there.

Just like so many things, Made in the USA is more of a marketing gimmick than a promise. Many things are:

Made in the USA from global components

I have had no problems with my NS 30 ton, and the little Honda motor starts one pull even after sittting all summer. Only drawback I have is the somewhat slow cycle time, but I work by myself, so it works ok, I couldn't go any faster anyway. But it has split everything I put in it, and I split a lot of crotchy Live Oak.

Just like so many things, Made in the USA is more of a marketing gimmick than a promise. Many things are:

Made in the USA from global components

I work in a place that the boxes say Made In USA. For truth in advertising it should really say
Boxed in USA, by Mexicans, from Chinese parts.

Avalancher, before you decide on anything do yorself a favor and give Rock a hollar over at Omni Mfg. He is a direct reseller of Speeco splitters (the company that makes Huskee splitters for TSC), a great person to work with and he will get you what you need for the right price. You can't beat the free shipping and no sales tax either!

I have the 25T model and am more than impressed with the quality, the build, the performance and most importantly the support. Speeco's main dude - Kevin Greer - post on this forum frequently, is very responsive and in my opinion you will not find any better customer support.

Here's a link to the Speeco 35T at Omni:

Speeco 35 Ton splitter

Several folks on here have done the same and been very pleased with the whole deal. Check it out, you'll be gald you did!

Thanks for that link, I took your advise and called Rock and that indeed is a good deal. 34 ton model with log table and 4way head delivered for $1900 may be more than I can pass up on. All in all, it would save me almost $400. He sounds like a great guy, and after chatting with him for almost a half hour, I think that may be the way to go. He asked who sent me the link, and after I told him he told me he may have to hire you!

I work in a place that the boxes say Made In USA. For truth in advertising it should really say
Boxed in USA, by Mexicans, from Chinese parts.

On the flip side, I work for a company that makes parts for companies like Kubota, Kawasaki, and Honda, here in the good old USA.

We also make stuff for classic "American" companies like Deere, Toro and Peterbilt, but I have no illusions that either of these are 100% American, or even close.

It's a global world, but I am certain that both North Star and Speeco have manufacturing plants here building these splitters.

Even with a bunch of commie parts on em, someone here in the US is welding together the structural pieces, fabricating the small parts that are not economical to source overseas, bolting everything together, and (hopefully) running everything through quality control checks before shipping them out to the stores.

Even if the Made in USA label means it's just bolted together here, it's still a step above one shipped complete from wherever else. Granted, I'd love to see one with a tag saying "Made in USA using 100% US steel and components", but it ain't likely to happen.

Thanks for that link, I took your advise and called Rock and that indeed is a good deal. 34 ton model with log table and 4way head delivered for $1900 may be more than I can pass up on. All in all, it would save me almost $400. He sounds like a great guy, and after chatting with him for almost a half hour, I think that may be the way to go. He asked who sent me the link, and after I told him he told me he may have to hire you!

Rock is easy to work with & very helpful. The folks @ Speeco are really great too. Like you said for the delivered price you can't beat it. The only additions you will need are the hydro & engine oils which cost me around $45 total. If you have a TSC near you a 5 gal bucket of hydro fluid will be ~$35, then a qt. of regular engine oil for break-in and another qt. of synthetic oil for running.

I have the log table on mine & it is robust and really makes things nice for horizontal splitting. I have about 4+ cords through my 25T and am very pleased with the performance.

Hey Rock, do you want my resume?? :cool2:

horizontal/vertical

you guys like H/v splitters seems a bit cramped in the work area in the horizontal position. Also the new used splitter I just bought has a honda 270GX on it's so quite and gotta love the one pull starts.

huskee 28t

I recently bought a husked 28t with a honda 190 cc engine, it slowly sips fuel and I haven't found a knot or wye it couldn't split!

Back