Need Help Narrowing Down Make/Model for Splitter Purchase....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonfromSETN

Reaction score
Small Tree Service Looking into a Wood Splitter Purchase:

Looking to possibly purchase a wood splitter, not so much to get into selling firewood, but rather to 1) give us more disposal options/ease as well 2) as to be able to a rent a log splitter to our clients who are keeping and processing trees we have taken down for them. I will clarify further and then detail the splitter models I'm currently most interested in and looking for feedback on.

We take down a fair number of large oaks and other trees. A wood splitter can help us both in terms of material handling (negating the need for renting a skidsteer and/or having to ridiculously thin "dimes" that can be moved by handtruck). Currently, we might rent a splitter 3 times a year for these types of jobs, often doing a weekend rental and stacking a few jobs into a given weekend. Then, after splitting, paying for disposal ($20/ton) is no longer necessary as we have either a sellable (or at least a give-away in the case of pine) product.

Often times, our clients will economize by keeping and splitting trees we cut down for them. I think that if we were to rent them a rugged roughly commercial-grade efficient splitter as an option, I think the machine could be paid for simply from rental fees in 2.5 years or less.

The primary model I'm eyeballing (but that I can't seem to find any reviews on) is the Swisher 34-ton commercial model for $2900 (delivered). It is fairly fast (10-12 seconds) and includes a 4-way wedge (both of which I see as important on the in-house use front (payroll and workers comp costs on my guys require that the process be as time efficient as possible in order to be justifiable).

Another model I'm considering are the Northstar (Northern Tool) 37-ton which comes with a 4-way wedge. This one is roughly $2300 and I see no real advantages other than a lower purchase price.

The only other model under consideration thus far is the Iron & Oak 20-ton fast cycle. $2900 (shipped). brand has a good reputation, but tonnage rating is somewhat low and currently doesn't have a 4-way option.

Your thoughts?

This is a great idea and wished more tree removal companies would do this. One thing that you may run into is that people these days are lazy. Even though you are basically giving them good wood to burn to heat their house, they would rather buy it and have someone stack it for them... Sad..

Those models seem great though.. I hear a lot of people like the Timberwolves. I have never seen one run. But maybe look for a good used model in your area..

Haven't used any of those models but will want to offer this. Some of the mid range splitters have axles rated for 45mph towing so you want to make sure that whatever you have is rated for highway towing as people renting a splitter arent going to want to put it onto a trailer or in a truck.

why isnt there a sticky on splitters with suggested best and cost and why at top and so on to lighter duty models, in all reality does it really matter how much wood you split? if you are going to buy a splitter chances are you need one and want to get the best you can afford a list like this would save some ques.
have the list made by the consesus off the known credible users on here that know there Stuff!!
the most expensive might not necessarily be on top for given reason ,but for the most part it would prob be by price ,so for myself which i am looking now for one, i could just go down list and say these are great but i need to stop at say number 3 or 4 on the list because i couldnt jusify price,and or another reason to go higher on list.
in all reality no matter the quanity of cords, we all want best we can afford and a list like this would be super useful.

I've had my TWP-1 bought new for about 9 years. I don't know if they're built the same now.

Aside from fuel, oil and air/ hydro filters / gen. maint. I've added 1 carb, and an inline filter. That's it. Wedge on the beam, Honda GX160 engine.

I split anywhere from 15-25 cord a year. Much of that for pay from people who have trees taken down and cut into rounds. There is a niche for splitter rentals or more so someone willing to do the splitting.

The only add on when purchased was the four way. Great splitter. Good beam height , Solid strong cradles. Great quality/ill probably get a new detent valve one of these days but so far very little cost to maintain and run. Cycle time is as good as the person handling the splitter. If you let the cylinder retract all the way everytime your wasting time. I only run it back as far as needed, saving a few seconds on every split. Made about two grand splitting one year doing it here and there as time allowed nice to make some quick easy cash.

If you're renting out the splitter to joe homeowner, I 'd go with something less expensive, we all know what people who don't know what they're doing will do to a chain saw. I suspect the same thing could happen with a splitter.

Although I cant stand 'em the vertical option may be more desireable for renting out.

I've had my TWP-1 bought new for about 9 years. I don't know if they're built the same now.

Aside from fuel, oil and air/ hydro filters / gen. maint. I've added 1 carb, and an inline filter. That's it. Wedge on the beam, Honda GX160 engine.

I split anywhere from 15-25 cord a year. Much of that for pay from people who have trees taken down and cut into rounds. There is a niche for splitter rentals or more so someone willing to do the splitting.

The only add on when purchased was the four way. Great splitter. Good beam height , Solid strong cradles. Great quality/ill probably get a new detent valve one of these days but so far very little cost to maintain and run. Cycle time is as good as the person handling the splitter. If you let the cylinder retract all the way everytime your wasting time. I only run it back as far as needed, saving a few seconds on every split. Made about two grand splitting one year doing it here and there as time allowed nice to make some quick easy cash.

If you're renting out the splitter to joe homeowner, I 'd go with something less expensive, we all know what people who don't know what they're doing will do to a chain saw. I suspect the same thing could happen with a splitter.

Although I cant stand 'em the vertical option may be more desireable for renting out.
Small Tree Service Looking into a Wood Splitter Purchase:

Looking to possibly purchase a wood splitter, not so much to get into selling firewood, but rather to 1) give us more disposal options/ease as well 2) as to be able to a rent a log splitter to our clients who are keeping and processing trees we have taken down for them. I will clarify further and then detail the splitter models I'm currently most interested in and looking for feedback on.

We take down a fair number of large oaks and other trees. A wood splitter can help us both in terms of material handling (negating the need for renting a skidsteer and/or having to ridiculously thin "dimes" that can be moved by handtruck). Currently, we might rent a splitter 3 times a year for these types of jobs, often doing a weekend rental and stacking a few jobs into a given weekend. Then, after splitting, paying for disposal ($20/ton) is no longer necessary as we have either a sellable (or at least a give-away in the case of pine) product.

Often times, our clients will economize by keeping and splitting trees we cut down for them. I think that if we were to rent them a rugged roughly commercial-grade efficient splitter as an option, I think the machine could be paid for simply from rental fees in 2.5 years or less.

The primary model I'm eyeballing (but that I can't seem to find any reviews on) is the Swisher 34-ton commercial model for $2900 (delivered). It is fairly fast (10-12 seconds) and includes a 4-way wedge (both of which I see as important on the in-house use front (payroll and workers comp costs on my guys require that the process be as time efficient as possible in order to be justifiable).

Another model I'm considering are the Northstar (Northern Tool) 37-ton which comes with a 4-way wedge. This one is roughly $2300 and I see no real advantages other than a lower purchase price.

The only other model under consideration thus far is the Iron & Oak 20-ton fast cycle. $2900 (shipped). brand has a good reputation, but tonnage rating is somewhat low and currently doesn't have a 4-way option.

Your thoughts?

I just recently sold my 37 ton North Star, because I had the opportunity to by the 22 ton fast cycle Iron and Oak (essentially a trade). At first I thought I may had made a mistake, but after fabricating a table, and using the I&O awhile, I am happier with it over the NS for my needs. The 22 ton I&O definitely does not have the grunt of the NS, for obvious reasons, and is not as versatile, but it is way faster, and I do have the four way for it. The main reason I decided to trade, was that the I&O is USA made, vs. made in China for the NS. Although nearly all the wood I get is large live oak, I am not interested in wrestling large rounds any more, and never liked working the splitter in the vertical position. I have large saws to noodle the wood into easily manageable sizes, and work standing up. For me it is much more comfortable. I did fabricate a table for the I&O, and that makes ALL the difference, as it does for any splitter. I did not like the balance of the NS, you had to be sure to use the outrigger legs, or it would tip unexpectedly with large rounds, or when you went to raise it vertical. When using the NS horizontally, the tire was sort of in the way, and was a little bit of a nuisance for me. I also prefer the larger 12" tires on the I&O vs. the 8" on the NS. The NS four way needs to bolted/unbolted, the I&O is a slip on. Most of these differences are minor, and I believe the NS is a good quality, feature packed splitter for the money. I would not recommend the small I&O to rent, if the wood to be split is over 16" in diameter. I can easily split 24" plus diameter rounds, but you have to read the wood, and work around the edges first. It would probably be too hard to educate prospective renters. I could go on and on.

So this long winded post is not intended to make a recommendation for you, just to give you feedback on two splitters that were asked about, and that I have owned/used. Good luck with your decision. By the way, I too think it is a great idea on supplementing your business.

Thanks everyone for your input/feedback! I apologize for the delayed acknowledgment and follow up post here.

I've decided upon the Swisher 34-ton commercial model.
Reasons:
1) Fast cycle (11-second cycle time)
2) included 4-way wedge
3) large hydraulic oil capacity (to keep fluids cooler during prolonged use)
3) All in a commercial model from a reputable brand with a decent warranty and at a solid tonnage rating of 34-tons (ALL AT A DECENT, IF NOT REALLY GOOD, RELATIVE PRICE/VALUE POINT). $2900 shipped (no tax). Well, that's all in theory and on paper; only time and actual experience will tell for sure.

Thanks again y'all!

Latest posts

Back