Norway Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimfound

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone here know about Norway Maple as firewood? Is this considered hard maple (like rock and sugar) or a soft maple (like silver)?

Thanks.

Does anyone here know about Norway Maple as firewood? Is this considered hard maple (like rock and sugar) or a soft maple (like silver)?

Thanks.

I had a little less than 1/4 of a cord of it last year from a tree that blew down at my mother's.

Real wide grain (typical of trees considered weeds). Split easy. BTU wise, inferior to red maple and definitely not in the same class as sugar maple.

tap a norway in the spring--make maple syrup---its a hardwood---at least what i have here is---trunk goes straight up to about 6 foot--then splits 4 ways---identifying feature of a norway--

Lotsa big Norways here, I;ve seen some over 3' diameter.

AOD...this one was huge...bigger than 3' around. Its on the ground now cut into rounds. We suspect it died of old age. I have yet to go and pick it up. When I do I will try to count the rings to get its age. A guess is 150-200 years. Don't know how long they live though.

So, 2 different opinions...softwood vs. hardwood. Didn't think you could get syrup from it, but never tried....

Any other opinions?

Ive burned a little bit, about a cross between silver and sugar maple, I think its a tad harder than silver, it splits easy but not as easy as silver.

I'm Burning it now

A Land clearing friend of mine dumped one off this Spring. I split it about 2 months ago and I'm running my OWB mostly on it right now. I've got enouh to run me up to Mid-Novemberor so. Burns pretty good---BTU's good for now before the real cold sets in. It was FREE so it beats the price of oil.:clap:

Latest posts

Back