Norway Spruce or ____ Fir?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Youngbuck20

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey im doing a school project that involves collecting leaves/needles from 50 diff genus. I have collected a cone from one of the trees to try and identify its genus and species. The girlfriends dad says its a fir but i think its a norway spruce. He's been around trees a lot longer than i have so i didnt argue. So what is it?

Sir sandford fleming in Lindsay, Ontario, Canada. I spent so much time trying to figure out what kind of fir it was so finally I thought hey maybe it is a spruce! (Picea abies)

Spruce needles are square (and sharp!) Fir needles are flat, and feel softer. If you can roll the needles between your fingertips they are spruce, fir needles will not roll.

Spruce needles are square (and sharp!) Fir needles are flat, and feel softer. If you can roll the needles between your fingertips they are spruce, fir needles will not roll.

Hmm, thats easy to remember. What's the deal with Douglas fir not being a fir it's a false hemlock. Same concept with the neeldles?

Hmm, thats easy to remember. What's the deal with Douglas fir not being a fir it's a false hemlock. Same concept with the neeldles?

I did not know that about Douglas-fir. I don't know what kind of needles it has. I doubt they are as sharp as blue spruce though.

Also good luck finding a fir cone. They stand up on top of the branch as opposed to hanging under the branch. They also fall apart in the tree and do not fall to the ground intact.

That's a great link! Thanks! Good to know about the Douglas-fir hyphen. I knew the cones were erect on the Douglas-fir but wasn't so sure about others.

If you look around your area there in Lindsey I'm sure you could find some Doug-fir. I'm in Hamilton and have found them all over southern Ontario. You will have a hard time not thinking they are spruce trees but one look at the cones and you'll tell the difference.

Don't forget Douglas-fir cones have the "hind leg and mouse tail" bracts.

Last edited:
Pseudotsuga_menziesii_cone.jpg

Latest posts

Back