Norwood Portable Mills

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wismer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Guys,

I am looking into a sawmill and was wondering if any one has experience with Norwood? I am looking at the Lumbermate 2000, Lumberlite 24, and the Chainsaw Porta Mill

Any advice or feedback?

Thanks alot,

Craig

Guys,

I am looking into a sawmill and was wondering if any one has experience with Norwood? I am looking at the Lumbermate 2000, Lumberlite 24, and the Chainsaw Porta Mill

Any advice or feedback?

Thanks alot,

Craig

What kind of advice you looking for? How you gonna use it?

They are good enough machines. Get the most HP you can and keep the teeth sharp...I'm not familiar with the Lumberlite and chainsaw mills.

What kind of advice you looking for? How you gonna use it?

just wondering how people liked them

It will get a decent amount of use. By no means everyday but between a large farm, hunt camp and a few small woodlots i will get some sawing in.

I'm opting for the Lumbermate over the smaller LumberLite because the Lumberlite can only handle 24" logs which i am afraid might be too small.

I looked at the chainsaw mill ( The "portamill") cause you can basically saw any log your bar is big enough for, but you waste a ton of wood and i imagine it would be a prety rough cut

The chainsaw mills are actually suprisingly accurate and smooth... but you are right about the sawdust and they a nowhere near as fast as a good bandmill.

The Norwoods seem to have a good reputation as a value for money sawmill.

Cheers

Ian

OK, sounds like it would be great for your application. I'm quite pleased with mine. From what I've read, the band mills are a bit faster than the chainsaw mills...that's why I got the band type.

I have used a norwood and found it a little awkward to use. I settled on a cmampion band mill built in Quebec, very user friendly, bigger moter can handle 30in. logs by 16' standard, has built in rollers for placing logs and removing big cants. and it came out cheaper than my neighbors norwood, and I didn't have to assemble it. check them out at (www.championsawmills.com) or is it .ca .... I have been in the custom sawing game for 20 years and tried different machines but this one, for a little over $8000 is a really great machine for the price

I have used a norwood and found it a little awkward to use. I settled on a cmampion band mill built in Quebec, very user friendly, bigger moter can handle 30in. logs by 16' standard, has built in rollers for placing logs and removing big cants. and it came out cheaper than my neighbors norwood, and I didn't have to assemble it. check them out at (www.championsawmills.com) or is it .ca .... I have been in the custom sawing game for 20 years and tried different machines but this one, for a little over $8000 is a really great machine for the price

If trailering is a factor...is that an option?

The Norwood 2000 is gonna be my next mill. It oughta be a pleasure after chain saw milling. I've done a lota research and it seems to be the best bang for the buck in my opinion! I can't wait!

champion trailering

With the champion mill the trailer is an option if you want to go mobile. The mill slides off as a complete unit onto wood blocks, you need about 12 in. clearance so the sqyaring posts can drop down. What is nice is after you are set up you have a dandy little trailer to haul your wood around. I found the first time loading up was a little awkward, but have since mounted a hand winch on the trailer and pulls it right up with ease

With the champion mill the trailer is an option if you want to go mobile. The mill slides off as a complete unit onto wood blocks, you need about 12 in. clearance so the sqyaring posts can drop down. What is nice is after you are set up you have a dandy little trailer to haul your wood around. I found the first time loading up was a little awkward, but have since mounted a hand winch on the trailer and pulls it right up with ease

I'd like to see some pics of your setup.:popcorn: :popcorn:

sorry aggie I'm not wis enough to post pictures yet, at least by myself. We live in the sticks, with dial up only service. last time I sent pictures of the deer hunt to my brother it took about 5 min, a picture to load. If a picture is worth a thosand words I could give you a long description

I STILL think that Norwoods Lumbermate is the best full size manual bandmill for the least dollars spent. Mine just keeps on keeping on!!

Rob

standard.jpg

My Sawmill Picts.. http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4378744&f=0

sorry aggie I'm not wis enough to post pictures yet, at least by myself. We live in the sticks, with dial up only service. last time I sent pictures of the deer hunt to my brother it took about 5 min, a picture to load. If a picture is worth a thosand words I could give you a long description

Well.......:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

:D

Latest posts

Back