Norwood Portable Mills

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I won't be milling every day by any stretch. Probably not even every weekend. We want it to mill on the farm, and up at the cottage. After I learn some skills on the machine I might do some small jobs for other people. The logs will be anywhere from 20 inches plus. Probably a couple that are even bigger than the 31" max. limit on the mill.

Also, Rob, do you ever have logs bigger than the mill can handle? What do you do with them?

I won't be milling every day by any stretch. Probably not even every weekend. We want it to mill on the farm, and up at the cottage. After I learn some skills on the machine I might do some small jobs for other people. The logs will be anywhere from 20 inches plus. Probably a couple that are even bigger than the 31" max. limit on the mill.

Also, Rob, do you ever have logs bigger than the mill can handle? What do you do with them?

Personally speaking, for your purpose i could live with the Honda 13 that comes with the mill. "If" you really think you need more power, i'd go with the B&S 23.

Std. mill will saw 13' logs, then 4' extensions are available. I have 2 but my old mills had 1 and it was pretty good as i could saw 16' logs then.

Sawing for grade (and you should with better logs) you will need to raise the small end of the log. You can use a big block of wood and a sissors jack out of a car, or you can spring for the toe board package Norwood sells. I started out with the sissors jack, and then bought the toe board package... I really like the toe board package Norwood sells!!

I would NOT have my mill without the log turner package! It takes all the heavy work out of turning big logs!!! It actually comes as a "loader/turner" package...

You will need a canthook. Norwood sells one, but the handle is too short... Don't buy a canthook with a short handle.

I like the optional log post... I have them on every bunk now, and i'm so use to them i now only use my standard ones when i turn logs.

Stainless bunk covers... I like them as it makes the logs turn easier, and they never need attention or stain the lumber...

That's what i'd buy, but maybe you have different needs? One thing is, you can buy most options later and just bolt them on!

As for oversize logs, i split them with a chainsaw and mill the halves...

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Rob

Latest posts

Back