NOS MS440/460 hybrid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don`t expect an answer from ole Frank, he is long gone and his ideas never held water.
I was just trying to ask a simple question to learn something end up getting a wise ass remark, men like him need to be buried underneath an old windfall stump. You true loggers out there know what I'm talking about, good riddance to bad rubbish. Also want to say thank you for at least trying to answer my question like an adult. If you can't say something knowledgeable then shut the hell up and stay off this website, we're here to learn s*** not to read smart ass remarks. Go find something better else to do with your time like Facebook, I hear there's lots of intellectual morons that you can talk all the crap you want and you just might meet someone with the same low self-esteem. Other than that God bless all the hard-working loggers and truck drivers that get up every day and make this country what it is, be safe and keep your head on a swivel.
Jon Halverson

Don`t expect an answer from ole Frank, he is long gone and his ideas never held water.
Thank you again for stepping in and let me know what a wise ass that guy is. But was still curious about drilling a small hole to oxygenate up the fuel. Is this done only on certain saws, I run only Sthil and I have a MS460 my firewood saw, that runs only when you have it on its side. If you cut into something and then stand there holding it like you're normally doing in between cuts, it just wants to cut out and die but if I tip it on its side with the starter side up it will idle and run fine. Checked the breather on the tank that seems to be venting fine, I rebuilt the carb, put new air filter, fuel hose and filter,intake boot and impulse line and still has the same problem. Has anyone else had this same problem occur on their saw before, if so what did you do to fix it. Please once again only knowledgeable answers and no smart-ass remarks, I joined this site to learn new little tricks when working on my saws and also learn from some of the best saw mechanics in the USA. I Don't have a Facebook account and never wanted one, not into hearing about everybody's problems or what they had for dinner. This site is my Facebook, all I know is I can come on here and solve a problem Im having with one of my saws or maybe return the favor by trying to help someone else with some of the knowledge that I have learned over the years. Because that's the whole point of this site is to pick each other's brains about mechanics,not are noses while looking for the dumb questions on here that pop up from time to time just to criticize and say something stupid. So if That's what you're into and like I said go join Facebook and get off this site, It's for people who really give a crap about mechanics and want to learn a thing or two. Sorry for my short story rant but I'll never give an inch to any SOBs who have nothing knowledgeable or decent to say. God bless The working Man till the day they can't, John Halverson

We never really knew what Frank as going on about, most of his posts were ad libs and not serious. As for drilling a hole in a tank all that would accomplish is just what a working tank vent already does, let in air to replace the fuel draw out. A saw dieing when on its side can be from fuel starvation or air leaks around the radial seals on the crank ends. A pressure & vaccum test is required to test the seals for leaks and most fuel problems can be traced visually but I use my vac tool for every step, checking fuel lines, the carb and the fuel tank vent can all be tested with a vac tool.

We never really knew what Frank as going on about, most of his posts were ad libs and not serious. As for drilling a hole in a tank all that would accomplish is just what a working tank vent already does, let in air to replace the fuel draw out. A saw dieing when on its side can be from fuel starvation or air leaks around the radial seals on the crank ends. A pressure & vaccum test is required to test the seals for leaks and most fuel problems can be traced visually but I use my vac tool for every step, checking fuel lines, the carb and the fuel tank vent can all be tested with a vac tool.
10-4 on that I have a pressure gauge setup to test all my saws, just have never done anything but the simple upkeeps on my 460l like lines, filters and other wear items. Bought my ms460 in 2009, it's the only saw that I bought brand new and have never torn down all the way yet. But that now gives me an excuse to put in my new pop-up piston and do a base gasket delete. But before tearing it all down like you said do a pressure test and 9 out of 10 times you will find the issue. A pressure tester should be in every real mechanics tool collection, takes care of a lot of the guesswork in my opinion.

Anyone know how to get in touch with crabby cooter?, want to get one of his chainsaw vices that he makes. If anyone else out there know somebody that makes these sure would love to buy one. I tried emailing him but don't know if he ever received the message or not. Any other info out there where I can find one of these to buy let me know will you fellers. Thanks for the great tips and tricks and hope to see you around the next bend, God bless and keep your head on a swivel.
John Halverson
PS my email is [email protected]

Anyone know how to get in touch with crabby cooter?, want to get one of his chainsaw vices that he makes. If anyone else out there know somebody that makes these sure would love to buy one. I tried emailing him but don't know if he ever received the message or not. Any other info out there where I can find one of these to buy let me know will you fellers. Thanks for the great tips and tricks and hope to see you around the next bend, God bless and keep your head on a swivel.
John Halverson
PS my email is [email protected]
Get on fb. Tree monkey work saws group

Latest posts

Back