Not enough Bar?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stix

Love me some big orange saws
Reaction score
Kinda a noob Question....I gave a 385 with a 28" and want to go with a 20....guy at the saw shop says it will burn up the saw??? I just kinda:jawdrop: So what say you guys.....I seem to remember a bunch of guys with 372's me included running 18's sometimes.....

I smell another crappy dealer. As long as you're not running too lean at high RPM's it should be fine. It's not good to rev a saw with no load on it, but I am sure a 20" pulling full comp chain through hardwood will put plenty of load on that saw. You'll literally have a wood light saber set up with a 20"

I smell another crappy dealer. As long as you're not running too lean at high RPM's it should be fine. It's not good to rev a saw with no load on it, but I am sure a 20" pulling full comp chain through hardwood will put plenty of load on that saw. You'll literally have a wood light saber set up with a 20"

Meh, I wouldnt call it a lightsaber, just a chainsaw.

The saw should run a hair leaner but not enough to burn up the saw with a shorter bar.

Im running a 20" bar on my MS660 and I love it. Havent had any problems, and it sounds great once its pulling in wood! According to the stihl website the 660 can even run with 16". I would think you could even do a 16, with that saw, but what do I know??:monkey:

hehehh have sawtroll show you some of his shortbar rigs.

Who was it I saw with a 10-14 inch bar on a 394... something rediculous like that.

hehehh have sawtroll show you some of his shortbar rigs.

Who was it I saw with a 10-14 inch bar on a 394... something rediculous like that.

Hows this?

Chainsaw002Medium.jpg

You have a bad dealer, if he said that. A 20" is fine on a 385, make sure it is running the 13,000rpm spec and it will be fine. But they are better with a 24". My dealer that I used to go to said that 395's blew up with anything under 28". The he kept talking about how crappy huskys are, he eventually pi$$ed me off. I quit going there, but the funny thing was, was that he is a husky/stihl dealer. The dealer I go to now loves stihl/husky/jred. He is better on price too, than the other dealer was. And he don't complain.:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw:

Last edited:
Just add a bigger sprocket and it will drop the rpms and increase the chain speed at the same time. I run an 8pin on shorter bars and don't lean too hard on the saw and it works very well.

Just add a bigger sprocket and it will drop the rpms and increase the chain speed at the same time. I run an 8pin on shorter bars and don't lean too hard on the saw and it works very well.

Now see, if you ran a stihl or dolmar youd have to lean on the saw so the saw got off the limiter.

The young fallers here run 880's with 21". The older and wiser guys run 460's/372's.

Bill

Now see, if you ran a stihl or dolmar youd have to lean on the saw so the saw got off the limiter.

Your right when they race saws they dig the dawgs in and use a slow chainspeed to win. I would like to try a dolmar but I do not know 1 person who has heard of them or owns a Makita or a Dolmar. They are like some sort of fable and resale would be a big joke here. I like the good Stihl saws but I also like good Husqvarnas.

Last edited:
One guy at work runs a 440 and swears that the 18" bar is as short as he can go. Says he'll burn the bar if he were to set it up with a 16".

My boss, :monkey: has two WildThings. He swears that he can't open the throttle all the way on the one he has set up with a 14" bar. Says the chain can't hold up to the rpms the saw produces. Did I mention he's a :monkey:

One guy at work runs a 440 and swears that the 18" bar is as short as he can go. Says he'll burn the bar if he were to set it up with a 16".

My boss, :monkey: has two WildThings. He swears that he can't open the throttle all the way on the one he has set up with a 14" bar. Says the chain can't hold up to the rpms the saw produces. Did I mention he's a :monkey:

Did he just start up a thread about avoiding stihls, by any chance.:confused:

Latest posts

Back