Not quite a saw but looking for any solutions for a Stihl HS 45

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcdible1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello, I have a well used HS45 Hedgeshears. I actually HAD 2 sets. The older set needed a carb said the dealer so I had them slap one on. In the meantime I was really busy and had to have a set that day so i bought another set. After the older set was repaired, I put away the new ones. One was like new so ended up selling it to my dad cause he wanted one. Problem is when I went to sell the new ones (after they sat for a year) and they wouldnt run right. I swapped the replacement carb off the old set and put it on the new set and sold them. So now i need to get my set up and going.

The carb has been blown out and all, and really only has about an hour of run time on it. Its hard to start, but once it does it just wants to idle. Any throttle other than a little choke lever and it will bog and die. I had a guy from work look at it and he thinks that something must be gummed or stuck in there. I really dont want to buy a carb as they are 75 bucks and the thing is probably worth maybe $125 bucks or so running as its all faded up.
:dizzy:
I may try and swap a carb off one of my weedeaters that seems to be similar a FS45. Who knows?

Any suggestions or sources for cheaper parts appreciated!!! The carb is a Zama S70A part number 4228 120 0604 or 0606 or 0608. Apparently the part numbers have changed the dealer said.
THANKS!

Last edited:
Maybe...

Maybe I should just send em to Randy and have them ported!!!:clap::msp_w00t::clap:
Then they might just:rock: (After the carb issue is fixed of course)

-----

i believe all he did to it was spray it with carb cleaner and blow it out with a compressor. i cant remember if we stuck a carb kit (diaphragm) on it or not. It will weakly draw gas into the primer bulb.

Just get the carb off then anything with a screw take it off, and then let it soak in some mineral spirits for a few days. Get an air compressor with a blow nozzle on it and put in a needle that you would use to blow up the kids basketballs and such. Use that to blow out every hole, nook and cranny in the carb. Re-assemble the carb, slap it on and see what you got. O yeah get a carb kit for it. Can get them on that fancy auction site for under $10 shipped.

:)

Last carb I bought for it was like 2 or so years ago

Dealer recommended it and i was really busy landscaping so i told em to fix it. Priced them from dealers nowadays theyve went up up up to 70 bucks and shipping!:msp_ohmy:

Back