not sure where this should go...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnha

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
But I thought about it while running my splitter that has an 8 HP B&S.

Anyone know of any information about gas usage of small engines?

I ask because my 8 HP B&S seems to use more gas than two different 8HP Honda GX series engines I have run. Just curious.

I have five honda engies in my concrete business but my splitter is a briggs...it uses a ton of gas....just another reason why hondas are worth the money

But I thought about it while running my splitter that has an 8 HP B&S.

Anyone know of any information about gas usage of small engines?

I ask because my 8 HP B&S seems to use more gas than two different 8HP Honda GX series engines I have run. Just curious.

You just answered you're own question- B and S vs. Honda. I own several small Honda engines (bought them new) and several B and S ones and there is no comparison. Even though the Honda's have several thousand hours on them, they still run better, are more reliable and more efficient than the Briggs. Its like comparing a Dodge to a Ferrari- but that is just my opinion and it may not be worth much.
It also might be that you're carb. is not adjusted right- but maybe not if the engine runs ok.

Thanks Boss and Champ! I appreciate your experience.

You and I have the same anectdotal experience. Anyone else know of any published data?

Last edited:
Not sure of any published info. but could probably give you a list of people who will always choose Honda over anything when given a choice- I'm not knocking just Briggs. You cant get me wrong though. I take exceptional care of my Honda's and beat the snot out of my B&S's and (some) still run pretty good.

I'm not knocking Briggs. I like their product. 5 years of constant use and it still starts by the second pull and doesn't consume oil, but I am a believer in regular maintenance.

But with the price of fuel becoming a bigger factor, I'm curious to see if any comparison has been made.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back