Nothing like wood cutting/hauling in powder...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuzzy

Trail Gnome
Reaction score
Well, I knew this point would come this winter... Gonna have to start mixing in a good bit of green wood :cry:

I was traveling most of last year for work and unfortunately didn't have enough time at home to get ALL the wood we'd need this year. Oh well. We may end up just *cringe* buying a cord or two of seasoned wood to finish off the season, but in the time being I decided the onset of our arctic blast was a great time to head back in the woods.

When the tree falls and disappears in the snow, you know it's going to be a loooong day :laugh:

IMG00158-20090113-1343Medium.jpg

But I still got it all marked with the mingo and cut up without any problems.

IMG00160-20090113-1344Medium.jpg

The woods behind our house could use some management (read thinning). So I've been taking selective trees to open up for better growth in others. What we have now is a lot of relatively thin, tall hardwoods without any branches until the very top. This was prolly a 12-14"er. Not my best stump, but it was leaning a good bit and when it started to go I didn't feel like hanging around to finish evening my hinge.

IMG00159-20090113-1344Medium.jpg

Walking around I'd sink to my knees, so out came the snowshoes for most of the day. And when I didn't feel like carrying the tree out piece by piece, this toboggan came in handy!

IMG00161-20090113-1416Medium.jpg

Still was a lot of freakin effort though!!

IMG00162-20090113-1416Medium.jpg

Well, after shoveling a couple feet of snow off our storm doors I was able to open up the easy throwing path to the basement. Split some of the rounds with the all powerful Fiskars and left others to burn whole in all their creosotey goodness. Guess we'll be cleaning the chimney more and trying to have some hotter fires at least once a day in the wood furnace while we limp through this green crap. At least I can say never again will we find ourselves in this position!

IMG00165-20090113-1635Medium.jpg

Sorry for the cell phone pics.

Last edited:
I'm tired just looking at this...

Man Nuzzy, that looks like some serious work. Thank god you have snowshoes. The sled adds a very "season-esque" look to the pictures.
Nice hinge on that lil' stump!

I sympathize with ya. Im glad I dont live up there. I cant believe your doing all that for green wood. I also give you respect for keeping warm. The snowshoe part blows me away.:)

That looks like work, I can bet you will will remember this and stock up before next winter. I am good for another month or so, I am hoping we get a mild spell. Winter came early and never went away, we even have farmers still trying to get corn off.

Is that yellow snow I see in the first pic? We haven't really even seen snow here. So much for the 26" we were supposed to get this winter. Ba!

Is that yellow snow I see in the first pic? We haven't really even seen snow here. So much for the 26" we were supposed to get this winter. Ba!

Nope, but I would love it if I could pee neon!! :D

Sadly, that's just the mingo firewood marker.

I've got more than a few dead ash,that need to come down and now might be a good time to drop them,cause they will be in the middle of a muddy hole come spring.

They will be the biggest trees I've ever dropped.They are out in the woods,so I can lay them just about anywhere,but I'm still a bit nervous.

I feel bad

Wow all that work for green wood . I feel so bad I want your address and I'll mail you 2-3 pieces of dry wood. If everyone did this for a mear 90000 in shipping nuz can be warm

Best of luck

I spent last weekend cutting wood. Friend of ours logged out about 50 acres and there is a lot of stuff in there. We have about a foot of the white stuff on the ground and yeah it sucks but something to do I guess. Hardest part is finding stuff to cut up, kicking around little humps of snow trying to find stuff to take out. We were dragging stuff out into a staging area and cutting it up there. I suppose the one nice thing is that the logs sit up on the packed snow and makes for easy cutting, just go all the way through not to worry about getting into the dirt.

Good luck have fun and stay safe.

Wow all that work for green wood . I feel so bad I want your address and I'll mail you 2-3 pieces of dry wood. If everyone did this for a mear 90000 in shipping nuz can be warm

Best of luck

:laugh:

Man that's ton of work! I think I would have just burnt that toboggan and called it a day.

:laugh::laugh:

Nuzzy do you have a way to haul wood from another location?

1 ton pickup and 18ft car hauler trailer.

:chainsaw:

You are more of a man than I am to go out there today. It was pretty nasty for a while.

Yeah, I was a bit worried when it was gusting so bad early on. As soon as I saw it'd died down for a few minutes I grabbed gear and ran out back to get a tree on the ground! Once the wind picked back up the forrest back there sure was talking :jawdrop:

Nuzzy,

How far are ya from South Haven?

When this little snit of the Manitou clears, I'm gonna go back at a couple of piles, and snatch a couple downed in the berry patch.
Might could use a hand with some of the piles.;)

Some is greenish 1 year downed but not cut, but it will burn better than sap down green maple!!!!!!!!!!
Some dead snags in another pile I can get at, but the snow is arse deep on a tall mule, so the logs will have to be skidded to a pad with the tractor or Quad.

I got caught short as well, thanks to donating to a family member who can't afford the oil.

One condition. Rounds get split on my splitter before ya load 'em on your truck.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back