novice buying first saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuleyJ

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I stumbled onto this site during my saw research and could not resist posting this as everyone seemed to be knowledgable. I have never purchased a saw myself but I have used several husky saws and a few stihl saws. I will be using the saw to clear fencelines for a forrest permit as well as firewood. Most of my cutting will be spruce 12-24" and cedar and pinion approximatey the same size, maybee some larger cottonwood trash ranch cleanup. I have looked at the husky 359 and 357xp as well as the stihl ms361. I had heard about the dolmar 5100 and it looks like a few people here kinda like it. Am I overbuying?? any input on these saws or any I have not looked at would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Welcome to arboristsite!

I think you're looking at the right class of saws for the sort of use you are planning. Any of those saws would be happy with an 18" or 20" bar, which would be a good match for your needs. As for specific models, do a search for previous posts about each saw model and soak up what was said before. You'll get a pretty good picture of what everybody thinks about each model, the pros and cons, and all that.

Then buy a saw and some protective gear, and start cutting some wood!!!

I have a new MS 361 that I cut firewood with this past week. Good power and very smooth! They appear to be universally well-liked. But I will say that if a Dolmar or Husky dealer was in the mix in here, I might have opted for the 5100 or the 357XP as both are less expensive and they both appear to be pretty close in performance to the 361. I will say that Stihls seem to fetch more resale money than the others here...if that's important to you.

Welcome, do your research and one thing to keep in mind is the dealer you will be buying from as far as a parts and service standpoint. The three saws listed are all good saws. The differences being weight and power. I personally run Stihl for the power and longevity of the saws.
Good luck,
Robert

more to the point

I guess I am wondering if the 361 would be a better all around saw as husky and dolmar, at least from what I have read rely more on high end rpm cutting. Is this, or has this been a concern for anyone who runs these saws in similar situations???

MuleyJ said:
I guess I am wondering if the 361 would be a better all around saw as husky and dolmar, at least from what I have read rely more on high end rpm cutting. Is this, or has this been a concern for anyone who runs these saws in similar situations???

Most all the models in the 361 size range all run about the same rpm, around 14,000. I think that little Dolmar runs at 14,500. Note those R's are in your hand , not in the cut.......

MuleyJ said:
I will be using the saw to clear fencelines for a forrest permit as well as firewood. Most of my cutting will be spruce 12-24" and cedar and pinion approximatey the same size, maybee some larger cottonwood trash ranch cleanup.
Right tool for the job, a 357 and a 361 are a little on the small size for that size wood. I would use a 372 Husky/Stihl 460 saw myself, I fall and buck firewood with a 371, cats meow, wrap handles, big dogs, 28" bar, skip chain. I say this cause I have ran 357s and 361s, step up a bit.

THALL10326 said:
Most all the models in the 361 size range all run about the same rpm, around 14,000. I think that little Dolmar runs at 14,500. Note those R's are in your hand , not in the cut.......

being a novice saw user I guess I was asking if the 361 or 359 would be more forgiving saws for a "newbie" like myself. I had read in another forum that the 357 specifically had a tempermental power band. Extrapolate please? I,m a little confused by what you said.

Muleyj, welcome aboard...

Of the saws listed, I would go with the 359 - an dit will be a bit more forgiving of technique in the powerband area...

If you are going to be cutting over 18 inch frequently (I believe you mentioned 12-24) you might want to consider a bit more saw than the ones you mentioned...

:cheers:

Buy a 361 and get it over with. :D

Welcome to AS.

attachment.php

Husky 359

I use the Husky 359.I cut firewood up to 24" and have no problems.I modded the muffler to get rid of the cat and gained about 25% more HP.Running about 4.5 HP now.With a 20" bar the saw is balanced for me.The price is also good.
Ed

MuleyJ said:
being a novice saw user I guess I was asking if the 361 or 359 would be more forgiving saws for a "newbie" like myself. I had read in another forum that the 357 specifically had a tempermental power band. Extrapolate please? I,m a little confused by what you said.

That's about right.

Also be aware that the 359 does have quite a bit less power, and can't really be considered to be an equal alternative to the 361.

Also be aware that the Huskys have outboard cluches, and the 361 inbord.

It makes a difference if you get the saw stuck, and doesn't bring another one, when you change sprockets (not chain), and if you use the saw for rip-cutting.

The Huskys also weight a bit more than the 361 (even though Husky claims the opposite) - but I doubt that you will really notice the difference....

pbtree said:
If you are going to be cutting over 18 inch frequently (I believe you mentioned 12-24) you might want to consider a bit more saw than the ones you mentioned...

Yes, then it will be more sensible to look at the 70 cc saws....

Hi! New to this site, but find myself spending more and more time reading here.

But... I have the 357xp and the MS361. I like them both, in fact I need to sell one of them as I have a 372xp and a MS200t!

I heat with wood, and have found myself becoming addicted to chainsaws, and everything else that goes with it. Glad to see that I am not the only novice who has gotten bitten.

I sell all the saws mentioned but I'd take a PS-5100S home with me first. Great power to weight or may I say best power to weight. It starts good and it's easy to service and it's priced right. My second choice would be the Husky 357XP and the next would be the MS361. I know that it's not the cool thing to do when you go against the grain. I will say that most opinions are formed by what brand they have and not by really using and servicing the models in question.

Rydaddy said:
Hi! New to this site, but find myself spending more and more time reading here.

But... I have the 357xp and the MS361. I like them both, in fact I need to sell one of them as I have a 372xp and a MS200t!

I heat with wood, and have found myself becoming addicted to chainsaws, and everything else that goes with it. Glad to see that I am not the only novice who has gotten bitten.

The question is though, which are you selling and which are you keeping and why??? I am very interested in hearing back.

Uwharrie said:
I sell all the saws mentioned but I'd take a PS-5100S home with me first. Great power to weight or may I say best power to weight. It starts good and it's easy to service and it's priced right. My second choice would be the Husky 357XP and the next would be the MS361. I know that it's not the cool thing to do when you go against the grain. I will say that most opinions are formed by what brand they have and not by really using and servicing the models in question.

I have found a dolmar dealer within 20 minutes, but he just started carrying them and has no 5100's. There are four husky dealers within an hour and none of them carry anything but 350's 455's and 575xp. None of the saws I was looking for. In fact 3 of the four had never seen and did not know what a 357xp was(bad news.) However the stihl dealer 5 mins away had just sold their last 361 but told me he would order another one so I could look at it and it would be there on wednesday. I wonder if the quality of service now says anything about what the quality of service will be later????? how heavily should this factor into my decision?

MuleyJ said:
The question is though, which are you selling and which are you keeping and why??? I am very interested in hearing back.

I am achain saw junkie. I should probably have 2 saws max. But these things are like my children... And I can't part with them. If I HAD to give up the 357xp or the 361 tomorrow. I would give up the 357xp I guess, and only because I like the inboard clutch better on the 361. It is easier to change the chains.

There are a ton of people on here who know a lot more than I do. But since I am not a "one" brand kind of guy, maybe my opinion counts. But I am also about to order a Dolmar 5100s and I'll let you know what I think of it...

MuleyJ said:
I have found a dolmar dealer within 20 minutes, but he just started carrying them and has no 5100's. There are four husky dealers within an hour and none of them carry anything but 350's 455's and 575xp. None of the saws I was looking for. In fact 3 of the four had never seen and did not know what a 357xp was(bad news.) However the stihl dealer 5 mins away had just sold their last 361 but told me he would order another one so I could look at it and it would be there on wednesday. I wonder if the quality of service now says anything about what the quality of service will be later????? how heavily should this factor into my decision?

Muley, get the MS361. Your not buying a Walmart special, this saw should last you a long time, and need very little service.

Back