novice buying first saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5100s

UwHarrie,

Just ordered the 5100s, as soon as I get I should be able to start using it next weekend. Will gladly post my experience!

welcome to Arboristsite

Sawing 12 - 24 inch trees in Colorado? Whatever you buy (and with the Stihl dealer being close by and more knowledgeable than the Husky dealer, in this case) the 361 would seem to be a good choice. Keep in mind what the largest bar you can put on this saw. I don't recall if the 25 inch is the largest bar available or not. If it is, you may well want to buy two bars. One for dropping, and one for limbing. I'm sure others will chime in if this saw is balanced with the big bar or not.

good luck, safe sawing, you'll be dealing with some enviable power

MS290 (wish I'd bought the 390)

omegajim said:
Sawing 12 - 24 inch trees in Colorado? Whatever you buy (and with the Stihl dealer being close by and more knowledgeable than the Husky dealer, in this case) the 361 would seem to be a good choice. Keep in mind what the largest bar you can put on this saw. I don't recall if the 25 inch is the largest bar available or not. If it is, you may well want to buy two bars. One for dropping, and one for limbing. I'm sure others will chime in if this saw is balanced with the big bar or not.

good luck, safe sawing, you'll be dealing with some enviable power

MS290 (wish I'd bought the 390)

24" not norm here, but cottonwood(ranch on river) and a few spruce (forrest permit) ???Does that sound amiss to you or what???

I forgot to mention that the stihl dealer even asked me what size bar I would like to see on the saw. He said he normally ordered it with the 25. I told him that I would like to try the twenty first so thats what it will be sporting when I go in to pick it up****** I mean give it a thorough looking over.
someone mentioned before that the inboard clutch would be a little easier for the bar swapping thing on the 361 as apposed to the husky saws.
And now you guys have me thinking about a good second saw and I havn't even pulled the trigger on the first one yet!!!! Three days and I'm already an addict. My wife is going to kill me:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
MuleyJ said:
.... I wonder if the quality of service now says anything about what the quality of service will be later????? how heavily should this factor into my decision?

Pretty heavy, I believe, if you don't work on your saws yourself.....:greenchainsaw:

omegajim said:
..... I don't recall if the 25 inch is the largest bar available or not. If it is, you may well want to buy two bars. ....

I would suggest one 20" and one 16" on the 361.

Personally, I use an 18" and a 15", but my trees are usually less than 20" at the stump.....

A lot of people use a 24" with skip chain in soft wood, but I think it defeats the purpose of a light and "agile" powerhead......

Latest posts

Back