Novice question - Comparing new Husky saws to old Husky saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodLoon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Husqvarna seems like a company seriously focused on quality. I would like to learn a little more about them.

Their catalog breaks their saws into 6 categories:
  • XP - Professional - starting with the 346XP, 50cc
  • Power saws (353-570) -starting with the 353, 52cc
  • All-purpose (435-460) - 41cc
  • Light-duty (240) - 38cc
  • Arborist (338XP & 339XP) - 39cc
  • Low weight tree care (T435) - 35cc
So, how do the new saws compare to 10 or 20 or 30 year old saws?
  1. New saws have to meet more government restrictions. These are probably good for the environment, but are they bad for the sawyer?
  2. I have observed several comments in posts about metal parts being replaced with "plastic." Wouldn't this make the saw more resilient to damage?
  3. Do you guys prefer the old saws? If so, why (other than cost)?
  4. Do the new XP saws beat all the old saws?
  5. And finally, are their other saw manufacturers making better saws than Husky? Equal? Almost as good?
Thanks, as always. I love your responses!

Last edited:
I don't see any professionals today still using old saws. I think it's safe to say that the new saws are better than their older counterparts in almost every way. Lighter weight. Higher chain speeds. Better AV. Better fuel economy. More power.

That said, there is nothing wrong with the older saws. They made good power. They were built tough. They were built to last. That's why they still run today.

There are other companies out there that make saws equal to (some will argue greater than) Husqvarna. There is no one best. There are many good manufacturers out there.

Evolution, the ability to evolve. Things change, some for the better some for not, but all is debatable. Are you a firewood cutter, professional timber man, or just a homeowner with clean up dutys? From a firewood hacks perspective, a guy can live and get buy well with a 365 alone. Will last you forever and parts availability is a strong plus. Compared to older models, its lighter because of plastic. Quality, its there in abundance . Many of the newer models from different brands share the same trends. Live alone in the past and you'll never enjoy the present!!

I've been runnin saws for well over 30 years and I like the new Huskys.

Stick to the top two lines (XPs' and 353-570s') and you'll be just fine.

Latest posts

Back