Now I'm a Pro Mac 610 owner...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John in MA

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I figured I'd pick one of these things up at the dump sooner or later. Now I am the proud (?) owner of a Pro Mac 610. Started right up and doesn't even have a broken air box! Still has the original chain that looks like it was never sharpened.

Now, aisde from the people who seem to pay big bucks for them on eBay, is there anyone who actually likes these saws? It weighs a ton, feels flimsy, and is the ugliest saw I've ever used. Reeks of cheap '80s design.

This thing weighs as much as my Super XL-925, yet it feels like it makes half the power!

My dad's ole 610 Pro Mac is an excellent saw. Well not compared to my new 046 M but, that ole saw just wont quit runnin so i cant complain much about it.

I agree that this model, and many others from the same era from McC aren't much...

I've never had much good to say about McC saws; the only ones I own are ones that I got for little or nothing, or the 2 old 3/25's for historical value (first mass produced all-position gas chain saw...1949) To be fair, though, I hafta admit that they do work. sort-of. After a fashion.

I've got an old McC string trimmer that just won't die. Cheap piece of junk, but every time it quits it's something small...I've never even put a diaghragm in the carb.

Close but no cigar...

John,
I don't have a 610 but I do have it's little brother...the PM605. You are right on the money. It's way heavy, ugly as sin and it just won't quit. I've always liked my 605 aside from the oiler holes getting clogged now and again. Plenty of power left in the old girl but I don't use it much because I'm to lazy to use the manual oiler. Old Pro Macs never die, they just become boat anchors!
Seesaw

It aint a climbing saw, it aint a pro felling saw, it aint a limbing saw and it surely aint a milling saw. The muffler is loud, the anti vibe isnt great, it weighs more than current designs and doesnt rev as high. If that makes it a P.O.S. than all 60CC saws built 30 years ago are a POS. What it does do is start every time, pull a 20" chain nicely and oils it properly. It will knock a mid sized tree down, limb it and buck it into firewood without it's owner needing 6 specialty saws. Exactly what it was designed to do and exactly why they sold by the car load way back when.

I will conceed ugly

My dad still has a PM 610, and it runs well. For that matter he also has an old Sears red and white saw that is worse than the 610. He uses his Husky 262XP most of the time though.

I've got dad's 655 and a Monkey Wards 610 clone that was given to me. The only problem I've had has been the oilers. They're impulse-driven off the crankcase & I've had one with a torn diaphram & one with a stuck check valve. There's a guy in Fayetteville (Syracuse) that has NOS Mac parts.

Now that I need one, who had the 28" hard-nose bars on E-bay a while back? There's a pine tree down in a swimming beach I need to get rid of.

I'm not sure what the purpose of this thread is!

John, you went off on how horrible you believe the 610 is, but at the same time its you posting how you are now the owner of one. Since it came easy to you, why not pass it off to someone else that would enjoy owning it?

Gearhead1 said:
John, you went off on how horrible you believe the 610 is, but at the same time its you posting how you are now the owner of one. Since it came easy to you, why not pass it off to someone else that would enjoy owning it?

Please don't send it to me... I figure purgatory is to be made to repair all PM6xx ever made...:D

I think people forget how old these saws are. When they came out, they weren't competing with the stuff that is out there now. Mine is hard starting and tends to vapor lock occasionally on a very hot day, but most of the time it just works. If I had an auto that was this old and performed this well, I would be very happy. That said, about the only time I use mine anymore is for knocking stuff down or sawing up some big old oak or hickory. It will give you a workout!

day52 said:
I think people forget how old these saws are. When they came out, they weren't competing with the stuff that is out there now. Mine is hard starting and tends to vapor lock occasionally on a very hot day, but most of the time it just works. If I had an auto that was this old and performed this well, I would be very happy. That said, about the only time I use mine anymore is for knocking stuff down or sawing up some big old oak or hickory. It will give you a workout!

For a saw released in the very early 80's their pretty good if not a little on the heavy side where as the old 10-10's were a bit lighter but uncushioned.

26 years is a fair time span and comparing them to more current saws is a bit unfair. Plus their an easy saw to work on i luv them.

Mc Bob.

Back