Now this is a big tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry - didn't mean to derail the thread.

Did anyone ID that tree? I can't help thinking about how many like that have just been dropped and burned where they lay. I hate to see things wasted. Imaging tearing down the pyramids and using the stones for a road base or foundations for houses.

Cutting down a big kauri pine.
This one was cut down a few years back after it was killed by lightning.
The section from the middle is on display in the kauti museum in Northland.

Out of interest my calculator work out that Tane Mahuta (the BIG kauri) would produce about 100,000 bft or timber. And most of that would be clear grain stuff.

attachment.php

Out of interest my calculator work out that Tane Mahuta (the BIG kauri) would produce about 100,000 bft or timber. And most of that would be clear grain stuff.

Thats debatable Ianab: Tane Mahuta is taller but has less girth ;)

What species is the tree your wife saw? Protected?

She was told it was a variety of a Ceiba tree. Not sure if the variety is protected, but that particular tree was in a private reserve on the Madre de Dios river (mother of god) river in the Amazon basin in Peru. She was also told it was the biggest tree in that particular reserve.

Cutting down a big kauri pine.
This one was cut down a few years back after it was killed by lightning.
The section from the middle is on display in the kauti museum in Northland.

attachment.php

That was certainly one big tree, but what really would excite me is to have that much extra shop space!

0382.JPG

My wife just got back from Peru, and here is her in front of one of the big trees she saw.

that's not really your wife, it's the travelocity gnome cross-dressing.... :hmm3grin2orange:

Dayumn, that tree proves the truth to the saying: it's not the length, it's the girth! :biggrinbounce2:

Back